Stayed here for two nights while visiting relatives in Suffolk. We chose one of the Sail Loft rooms without the view of the marina (marina views cost an extra £50 per night, which we felt would have been wasted on this trip since we were hardly ever in the room during the day to enjoy the view).
The hotel is right on the waterfront of the marina in Ipswich - the main building is a converted warehouse. The conversion is very good, producing a thoroughly modern hotel within a historic building. Our room was very spacious, with an equally spacious bathroom containing a bath and a large shower. The bed was an excellent king size and very comfortable.
Breakfast is excellent - not to be missed, with a wide selection of dishes on offer. The "full Suffolk" breakfast features superb bacon and sausages. The apple juice is excellent.
There are a few downsides. First, the Ipswich marina area is still a "work in progress", with a lot of building sites and derelict land, so it isn't the most scenic part of the town. It is also a noisy area - the pub next door was raucous until quite late on Saturday night, plus the presence of the University further along the marina meant groups of students whooping and shouting past the hotel in the wee hours. The hotel also has a problem with parking - simply not enough of it - meaning that some cars are driven to an overspill car park (by the staff) a little distance from the hotel. It is not clear how secure this car park is. Finally, the decor of the public areas is, let's say, "eclectic" - certainly not to my tastes - it has the feeling of a place trying to hard to be "hip".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This artfully designed boutique Hotel and Restaurant in Suffolk reflects luxury and dazzles in the waterfront of Ipswich's vibrant Harbour quayside at night. The Salthouse Harbour Hotel goes beyond what you expect and exudes its 4 star status in every curious corner, eccentric sofa and unstuffy cushion. The sea-salted brickwork exterior has been restored & rejuvenated into a ship shape contemporary warehouse of rich modern interiors and rooms adorned with vintage furniture, sculptures and eclectic art. Within its comfy chic decor, although the mood is friendly and relaxed, the staff are professionally attentive to your every need. The cuisine is exciting and the popularity of the Salthouse Eaterie fills this delightful waterfront restaurant as soon as the tables are laid. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotel.de, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Salthouse Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Salthouse Harbour Ipswich
- Hotel Salthouse Harbour
- Salthouse Harbour Hotel Ipswich, Suffolk