“Great gluten free food”

The Brook Inn
Ranked #40 of 447 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Community-owned pub serving British and foreign food, specialising in gluten-free meals. Recently renovated, the free house has an extensive menu, wine and real ales with garden space, free parking and dog-friendly environment. Surrounded by beautiful Suffolk countryside and accessible to main roads
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Wow! So many choices of gf food. I had really nice fish & chips (my first since coeliac diagnosis almost two years ago). The batter was crispy and the fish really moist. I also wanted to try the curry, sausage & mash and lasagne but f&c with mushy peas won me over! I also had the rhubarb crumble for dessert (gf of course) which was a nice balance of sweet and tart, all smothered in custard. Very friendly service from all staff. It would be a shame if this place is sold and the GF menu changed. Let's hope not.

Gary C, Owner at The Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Gluten free is an integral part of our business and whilst not the only reason for the success of the pub it is an important part. We also hope that the new owners will understand this and carry on the message. Hopefully you will be able to pay us a visit at Armstrongs as well.
Many thanks for your positive comments

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Me and my mum visited here for dinner and had a really lovely evening. My mum is allergic to gluten and there was loads of choice including an amazing Jam sponge and chocolate brownie, fish and chips and lasagne. The most choice we have seen in a very very long time. The staff were all very friendly and we just had an amazing dinner.

Gary C, Owner at The Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

With my wife being coeliac we know only to well the perils of eating out so are very pleased you had a good time. If you are by the sea in Clacton anytime come and visit our restaurant Armstrongs at the Pavilion which has an equally good range of gf food. (especially gf cones for that summers ice cream)

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for lunch, on our way to a weekend away in Ipswich, after reading good things about the place. Glad we did as the food was good and even better service. We only had something off the sandwich menu as we were having a meal later on which was nice. The full menu dishes looked excellent and great value for money for what you get. Would definitely visit again if in the area.

Gary C, Owner at The Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Always pleased to get a positive review look forward to seeing you again Many Thanks

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Eaten here a couple of times, reliably good pub grub.service welcoming and friendly with good regard scheme. What more do you need!

Gary C, Owner at The Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Many thanks for your comments as you say what more could you want and what more could we want but to get the appreciation it always boosts everyone

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My daughter and I are Coeliacs and whilst it's certainly improving out there, finding a restaurant that not only caters for our diet but also offers considerable choice on the menu is often a task too far.

We have friends who live nearby and they suggested we try the restaurant out as they'd had a few recommendations themselves.

We were a party of five, the restaurant was busy but not crowded. Staff were courteous throughout our time there and incredibly helpful, Drinks were served quickly and we were given adequate time to make our food choices.

What can I say? I had the GF Cod in batter with chips. Excellent. It really was the best I've had and there's been a few eateries that have tried to serve this very English dish. My fellow diners equally enjoyed their meals. We had starters and main courses, no room for the dessert!

With wine and other drinks the bill came to just over £100. This, in my opinion, represents excellent value for money. Whether you are on a GF diet or simply looking for somewhere different you should give this place a try.

I've noticed that this venue is up for sale. A real shame!

Gary C, Owner at The Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

As l had said to many before positive comments like this are really appreciated by the team. The sale of the freehold by our landlords will hopefully have no real effect with the new operators working with the staff that are already in place. Who knows we may well have a say in it our selves in the village comes up trumps (please see the reply to the previous post)