Golden Ship Inn
Ranked #255 of 448 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 27, 2014

usual rubbish generic chinese food defo would not go back avoid unless you want to be disappointed,,,,,,,,,,

2  Thank sundanceski

Reviewed May 24, 2014

After eating at Trongs in Ipswich the previous evening - and being Chinese dinner addicts - we looked at the reviews and menus online and headed for The Golden Ship hoping for a more 'authentic' experience.
Mmmm greasy, lacking flavour and overpriced is my honest opinion of the food. I very rarely leave Chinese dishes on the table in a restaurant, but on this occasion, I didn't want a doggy bag. Did I write, 'greasy'? ? Well, had we taken along a roll of kitchen towel and dropped it in its entirety into the lamb dish, it could not have absorbed the 2" of grease that came floating with the dish. RIce? Noodles? Veg? Bean Curd? I'm no great oriental chef, but even I could have produced better. We read the reviews that said, 'authentic' 'real Chinese' ....... we have eaten in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Beijing and, we're afraid, 'The Golden Ship' was on the day we ate there, more poor Chinese take away.
Again, such a shame; we came out £52 lighter and my taste buds weren't singing, but rather because they were swamped with grease, I even bought fruit on the way back to the hotel to clear my palate. Hate being disappointed and prefer to be thrilled and to write positive reviews, but you can't win them all -- or even some, it seems on this recent trip!

1  Thank ihavetastebuds
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I ordered the set menu for four people for delivery. The food was very tasty and good. The only down side to one of the dishes was the spring rolls. We took them out the packet to see they were very flat! Not much filling in them.. But overall extremely tasty and recommended!!

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Eat at this family-run restaurant in this ex-pub in a quiet part of town, if you'd like unexpectedly tasty and authentic Chinese food. Curiously has a takeaway service with two menus: one for the uninitiated and one for the steady trickle of Chinese callers who came while we were having our meal. Restaurants like this offering traditional tastes deserve more custom. If the clumsily translated menu puzzles you just ask the helpful staff for recommendations. We did and were not disappointed. A second visit is a certainty!

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a chinese take away near to where we moved and Golden Ship was the closest and happened to be the best chinese i have ever tried.