“Good band and atmosphere but would not eat here”
Review of Golf Hotel

Golf Hotel
Ranked #96 of 446 Restaurants in Ipswich
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Local Pub serving tasty pub grub, real ales, premium lagers, craft beer and a huge selection of spirits. Kirsty and the team warmly welcome you to The Golf!
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Had a good birthday party booked in function room, excellent band and good atmosphere. Buffet good average, not great for what we paid. Would never eat here as the menu is just chips with everything but ok I suppose if that's what you want. Staff helpful and friendly. Toilets have never been improved in all the years I can remember . Better than some locals we have been too

Reviewed January 9, 2014

A really friendly pub in a nice area with good wholesome pub food. As most of the pubs in Ipswich are now tesco express you could do worse than to make this pub your local. We visit quite often especially the quiz on a thursday night and we had a great xmas eve and new years eve here and would like to thank the staff for being so friendly and helpful. They have a good selection of popular beers and wine at very reasonable prices. This Pub will not be everyones cup of tea but we like it a lot as it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a good old honest family pub.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Yes this pub has just spent a few days throwing a few pots of paint at the walls and sorted the tables and carpets out but as a regular visitor I find the £2 rise in meals as over the top. The salad today was manky the gammon was far to salty this shows on 3 tables in use on a saturday dinner time, the pub is not up to the prices they charge.
Who ever Barras pubs is you have lost me as a customer maybe 30 times a year, it's down town for me in future.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

As a fairly regular customer I was pleased to see the results of the recent refurbishment. The improvement was long overdue and the overall appearance is that of a modern clean and spacious establishment. Until you eventually have to enter the toilets, why on earth wasn't money allocated to modernising these areas ?... they are, and have been for years, in serious need of a complete refit. I would suggest that for many visiting families out for a meal this is the last area they see on their way home and probably the impression of the place they take with them.
Winter is upon us, Area Manager please take note : NONE OF THE RADIATORS ARE WORKING. People will not sit in a cold pub and will be unlikely to return just in case its been fixed. I suggest this is tackled with some urgency. Local tradesmen have investigated and found that most if not all radiators are blocked and in need of removing and flushing. This is an on going saga which happens every winter.
To end on a positive note, the food has drastically improved and the menu is what it is - its not a gastro-pub with home cooked food, however, it has a good choice of dishes at extremely good value. The pick'n'mix hot snacks are well worth trying with good service from informative and helpful staff.
In all, this is a well run friendly establishment with management and staff alike all trying to provide a positive drinking / dining experience and I can't help feeling that they're being let down somewhat by a lack of support from regional side of management.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I don't make a habit of eating in pubs, but I was so hungry whilst enjoying my usual afternoon pint that I just had to have a steak. Problem was, I didn't fancy all the rest of the nonsense that goes with it on the menu.

After much contemplation I was accomodated by the wonderful Jazz and just had steak and eggs which was cooked to perfection by Colin, who obviously takes pride in his food.

Only one problem here. I COULDN'T ESCAPE A BLOODY TELEVISION! Why is it widely assumed that everyone wants to watch sport? There are so many bar area's in The Golf so is it REALLY necessary to make the place resemble Rumbelows?