“Good base for Chantry Park”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good base for Chantry Park”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed for one night as a base for a concert at Chantry Park. Overall very good hotel, friendly staff good, clean standard room. Extra perks with the free newspaper, free wifi,coffee available at reception (morning only) and voucher for a free a drink at the bar was very welcome (Elite member perks). Buffet breakfast was typical of most Holiday Inns but as always very good with a new addition of the DIY freshly made pancakes maker. Did not get chance to use the on-site swimming pool (Spirit Club) but again looked nice and was busy. Overall a perfect hotel for our needs within walking distance to Chantry Park.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear pg_deane,

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you liked the concert...just a shame about the weather.

We will look forward to welcoming you again on your return.

Regards

Paul Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

When we arrived it looked like most Holiday Inns, the reception staff were friendly and efficient. The room was no better than a Travelodge in fact thinking about it I have stayed at better Travelodges. The Breakfast was very basic and at 8.45 the staff were getting ready for lunch and some of the buffet items had not been refilled. I would not stay here again.

1 Thank AnnKH
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear AnnKH,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased with your kind comments regarding our hotel staff.

Although I am saddened that your overall experience was not exceptional, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts regarding our rooms and restaurant services. We could definitely use your feedback to improve on our end so we could provide you with a greater experience in the future. I hope you give us another chance of hosting you again.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2014

In rating this I would recommend for a stay. It just I have promised myself to rate as I see and with the logic that most places must be average. So this is a standard Holiday Inn with friendly staff and clean quite rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank plaistowboy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear plaistowboy,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am glad to know that you found our room and staff commendable. It is always motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Ipswich.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed a Saturday night after a lovely wedding we attended locally ,just myself and hubby and had a rather pleasant stay. We had an Executive room and that was fine clean and tidy.Beds were good no real issues there. Wifi was unavailable and didnt fancy paying a fee to get it but hey ho was nice to get away from that to so not a real big deal.
Breakfast was nice and edible enough not massively hot but again was good enough for us . No major things and each to there own I guess but served our purpose and would stay there again if we had too.

Dear Catz3m,

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and we will look forwarding to welcoming you back again the next time you are in Ipswich.

Kind Regards

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night for business meeting and a meal with a customer
Pretty decent , good wifi speed service not bad ,food as expected for this type of hotel, menu could have been better
Daniela on reception was very efficient , polite and friendly at check in
Would stay here again if in area

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Trigger,

Thank-you so much for your great review about your stay with us.

I am pleased you will book again with us when you are next in Ipswich, and I will be sure to pass on your great comments about Daniella, who I know will be delighted.

Thank-you again.

Paul
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 3, 2014

A complimentary upgrade to an executive room, which is normal practice, if available, was refused by the unfriendly and unhelpful receptionist who laughed, as if such a suggestion was ridiculous. In fact the receptionist did not appear to have any knowledge of the IHG Priority Club and the privileges appropriate to its elite members.

Impossibly slow and unusable Wi-Fi internet connection and no solution offered. Poor service at breakfast and a buffet which looked as if a herd of buffalo had stampeded through it! The rate on booking with IHG Central Reservations was £65.00 per night but the confirmation email from the hotel stated £90.00. I was told that the extra £25.00 was for the second person in the room. I pointed out that this is not IHG policy and that the room price is for 1 or 2 person occupancy. The receptionist grudgingly reduced the rate to £65.00.

There is no lift in the hotel and my wife and I had to drag our heavy bags along interminable corridors and carry them up flights of stairs, as no porter or concierge service is provided.

The status of this hotel should be reduced from a 3* Holiday Inn to a 1* Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Philip B
Dear PhilipB,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Firstly, I apologise that you were disappointed with your stay.

Where possible, we do try to upgrade all of our Platinum members, but this is only subject to availability.

I am also sorry about the speed of the wifi, which I will be taking up with our provider.

Thank-you again.

Kind regards.

Paul Smith

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

Suffolk
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have been attending a fortnightly networking breakfast at this Holiday Inn for a little over 3 years and up to the last 4 months the service and breakfast has always been good.

I'm not sure what happened but over the last three months the services is now below average and the food! Cold bacon, undercooked sausages, the wrong type of egg being served (as in fried when scrambled was ordered) There was the time when a colleague ordered beans on toast with 2 hash browns. They got two slices of un-buttered toast, with 2 hash browns on top floating in a sea of beans. You would think as this was a) a regular event, b) the choices did not change the staff did. And the final insult they wanted to increase the charge by 60%. You will not be surprised to hear we no longer use the venue we now use the Cameo Hotel about a mile away.

So if you want a convenient hotel in Ipswich but don't care about the breakfast it may be for you - but if you want a halfway decent meal to start the day try Jo's Caff down the road.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel we used it for a breakfast networking meeting. The service deteriorated...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rasalon44
Dear Rasalon44,

Thank-you for posting a review about your breakfast meetings.

I too am disappointed that your Breakfast Networking meetings have chosen to move hotels.

I am sure you can appreciate that your discounted breakfast rate of just £8.75 (£7.30 net of VAT) for a private meeting room and private service is not commercially viable when only 5 or 6 of your group make a reservation. This rate was initially based on the understanding that your numbers would grow; unfortunately this has not transpired.

I do try to support local businesses, and local business initiatives, and as such I was happy to offer private dining breakfast with a minimum spend, or to move your meeting to the main restaurant.

I trust this clarifies the hotel's position, and I would encourage you to take a look at the restaurant buffet breakfast, which is superb, and for which we receive consistently great feedback !! My offer still stand if you ever want to have your meeting in our restaurant.

Thank-you again, and kind regards

Paul Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
pentahotel Ipswich
Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell
Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Best Western Ipswich hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Ipswich? Share your experiences!