“Pretty decent”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night for business meeting and a meal with a customer
Pretty decent , good wifi speed service not bad ,food as expected for this type of hotel, menu could have been better
Daniela on reception was very efficient , polite and friendly at check in
Would stay here again if in area

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Trigger,

Thank-you so much for your great review about your stay with us.

I am pleased you will book again with us when you are next in Ipswich, and I will be sure to pass on your great comments about Daniella, who I know will be delighted.

Paul

Reviewed June 3, 2014

A complimentary upgrade to an executive room, which is normal practice, if available, was refused by the unfriendly and unhelpful receptionist who laughed, as if such a suggestion was ridiculous. In fact the receptionist did not appear to have any knowledge of the IHG Priority Club and the privileges appropriate to its elite members.

Impossibly slow and unusable Wi-Fi internet connection and no solution offered. Poor service at breakfast and a buffet which looked as if a herd of buffalo had stampeded through it! The rate on booking with IHG Central Reservations was £65.00 per night but the confirmation email from the hotel stated £90.00. I was told that the extra £25.00 was for the second person in the room. I pointed out that this is not IHG policy and that the room price is for 1 or 2 person occupancy. The receptionist grudgingly reduced the rate to £65.00.

There is no lift in the hotel and my wife and I had to drag our heavy bags along interminable corridors and carry them up flights of stairs, as no porter or concierge service is provided.

The status of this hotel should be reduced from a 3* Holiday Inn to a 1* Holiday Inn Express.

2  Thank Philip B

Dear PhilipB,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Firstly, I apologise that you were disappointed with your stay.

Where possible, we do try to upgrade all of our Platinum members, but this is only subject to availability.

I am also sorry about the speed of the wifi, which I will be taking up with our provider.

Kind regards.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have been attending a fortnightly networking breakfast at this Holiday Inn for a little over 3 years and up to the last 4 months the service and breakfast has always been good.

I'm not sure what happened but over the last three months the services is now below average and the food! Cold bacon, undercooked sausages, the wrong type of egg being served (as in fried when scrambled was ordered) There was the time when a colleague ordered beans on toast with 2 hash browns. They got two slices of un-buttered toast, with 2 hash browns on top floating in a sea of beans. You would think as this was a) a regular event, b) the choices did not change the staff did. And the final insult they wanted to increase the charge by 60%. You will not be surprised to hear we no longer use the venue we now use the Cameo Hotel about a mile away.

So if you want a convenient hotel in Ipswich but don't care about the breakfast it may be for you - but if you want a halfway decent meal to start the day try Jo's Caff down the road.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel we used it for a breakfast networking meeting. The service deteriorated...
1  Thank Rasalon44

Dear Rasalon44,

Thank-you for posting a review about your breakfast meetings.

I too am disappointed that your Breakfast Networking meetings have chosen to move hotels.

I am sure you can appreciate that your discounted breakfast rate of just £8.75 (£7.30 net of VAT) for a private meeting room and private service is not commercially viable when only 5 or 6 of your group make a reservation. This rate was initially based on the understanding that your numbers would grow; unfortunately this has not transpired.

I do try to support local businesses, and local business initiatives, and as such I was happy to offer private dining breakfast with a minimum spend, or to move your meeting to the main restaurant.

I trust this clarifies the hotel's position, and I would encourage you to take a look at the restaurant buffet breakfast, which is superb, and for which we receive consistently great feedback !! My offer still stand if you ever want to have your meeting in our restaurant.

Thank-you again, and kind regards

Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Our family of 4 stayed in a family room on a recent trip for a relative's birthday party. The hotel was very clean & the staff very friendly. It is situated on the main road so very accessible. Breakfast was ok but not enough variety for the price. Various items kept running out & it took a while for them to be restocked. Room was nice enough & very clean - unfortunately the bathroom was tiny so very difficult to bath our 2 kids. Overall very good for a budget hotel.

Stayed: May 2014

Dear Marie D,

Thank-you for posting a review about the hotel. I was pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and I hope you were able to take advantage of the swimming pool with your children.

I hope we can welcome you back the next time you are in Ipswich.

Kind regards.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights on business, checked out in the morning, eventually got home to realise I'd left a book in the room. Rang the hotel the following morning and was put through to Sharon one of the ladies in charge of room cleaning. She was absolutely great !! She quickly confirmed they had found the book, asked for my details and straight away offered to get it in the post the same day. She was as good as her word and the book arrived the following day. Of course I've sent a letter refunding the postal cost but it wasn't asked for 'in advance' or anything. I'm sure they get all sorts of things left behind by guests and it must be a hassle sorting it out but I cannot compliment this lady enough on the way my enquiry was dealt with. It is so often the case that hotel staff are slightly unwilling to assist with this kind of thing but Sharon was really excellent - Thanks again !

Dear Epicrh,

Many thanks for your great review.

I am pleased that we were able to repatriate you with your book, and I will be sure to pass on your comments about Sharon, who I know will be delighted.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Just a quick note on my recent stay.
Found the hotel to be a good standard and clean and well presented, albeit an older (1960's?) build
Great attention by all staff but particularly Jade who couldn't do enough to help and assist us in the dining room.
First class hostess and a real asset to the company.

Dear Hoody00588,

Many thanks for your great review. While the hotel is not a modern building, we do make up for this with with great staff. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to Jade.

Thank-you and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Stayed here for three nights on business. Decent hotel, friendly staff, food in the restaurant was of a good standard I had the fish and chips which was really nice, mind I was starving. The gym and pool are of a good standard also. Some minor points if my room was any further away from reception I would have needed a taxi to get to breakfast, not a problem unless you are not too mobile, so if you do have mobility problems probably best to ask for a room near reception. The bathrooms are really small and the door is annoying. I also think in this day and age wi fi should be free especially to loyalty members but it isn't. Breakfast was good and all in all I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Colin R,

Many thanks for posting your review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and the good news is that from July you can enjoy free wifi by simply joining our loyalty scheme, IHG Rewards.

Thanks again for the review.