“Great Staff !”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Staff !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights on business, checked out in the morning, eventually got home to realise I'd left a book in the room. Rang the hotel the following morning and was put through to Sharon one of the ladies in charge of room cleaning. She was absolutely great !! She quickly confirmed they had found the book, asked for my details and straight away offered to get it in the post the same day. She was as good as her word and the book arrived the following day. Of course I've sent a letter refunding the postal cost but it wasn't asked for 'in advance' or anything. I'm sure they get all sorts of things left behind by guests and it must be a hassle sorting it out but I cannot compliment this lady enough on the way my enquiry was dealt with. It is so often the case that hotel staff are slightly unwilling to assist with this kind of thing but Sharon was really excellent - Thanks again !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Epicrh,

Many thanks for your great review.

I am pleased that we were able to repatriate you with your book, and I will be sure to pass on your comments about Sharon, who I know will be delighted.

Paul Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Just a quick note on my recent stay.
Found the hotel to be a good standard and clean and well presented, albeit an older (1960's?) build
Great attention by all staff but particularly Jade who couldn't do enough to help and assist us in the dining room.
First class hostess and a real asset to the company.

Dear Hoody00588,

Many thanks for your great review. While the hotel is not a modern building, we do make up for this with with great staff. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to Jade.

Thank-you and we hope to see you again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights on business. Decent hotel, friendly staff, food in the restaurant was of a good standard I had the fish and chips which was really nice, mind I was starving. The gym and pool are of a good standard also. Some minor points if my room was any further away from reception I would have needed a taxi to get to breakfast, not a problem unless you are not too mobile, so if you do have mobility problems probably best to ask for a room near reception. The bathrooms are really small and the door is annoying. I also think in this day and age wi fi should be free especially to loyalty members but it isn't. Breakfast was good and all in all I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Colin R,

Many thanks for posting your review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and the good news is that from July you can enjoy free wifi by simply joining our loyalty scheme, IHG Rewards.

Thanks again for the review.

Haverhill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere reasonable priced to stay for a girls night out (Barry Manilow concert) and this is one of the few hotels that would accommodate 3 ladies in 1 room.

Check-in was very quick and when we got to our room, the sofa bed was already fully made up. There was an extra set of towels but no extra mug or supplies (quickly rectified when we called reception). The room was light and airy and the wooden slide shutters as opposed to curtains are an excellent idea. We had a late night but the morning sunshine couldn't creep in to wake us too early from a good sleep. The bathroom was compact but very clean with lovely fluffy towels and a tray of complementary toiletries. (and a very quiet loo!!)

The staff were very professional yet friendly and very helpful, when we enquired about taxi companies, they booked a taxi for us.

We decided to eat in the bar and the food although it did take a long time to be served, was fresh and delicious. We spent a very relaxing couple of hours before getting ready for our night out which was much appreciated.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable experience and really good value for money :)

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelly B
Dear Kelly,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post a review about your stay.

I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and I trust that Barry Manilow exceeded your expectations, in the same way that we did !!

We hope to see you again next time, as we just "cant smile without you !" - we will even offer Barry a free room if he comes back to Ipswich !!

Paul
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stayed here one night on 10th May 14. Greeting at reception was good and everything explained well. Room was small but clean and reasonable decor, although the bed felt like it might have been a small double. The bathroom was probably the smallest hotel bathroom I have ever encountered. The door opened inwards and virtually touched the loo. Once you had managed to get into the bathroom, it wasn't too bad to move around, however, trying to get out was something else! because the door has to come in on you, it is really tight to be able to open the door and stand there without getting hit by the door! I understand that the building was not built to Holiday Inn specification and had actually been acquired from a previous hotelier, so not much they can really do about the bathrooms, other than to re-furbish the whole hotel. Used the pool facilities, which were very good. All staff were very polite and helpful. Breakfast was good and there was loads of parking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DawnP731
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear DawnP731,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad that you liked our clean rooms and the breakfast options. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it is regrettable we fell short of your expectations during your stay. I apologize that the bathroom facility did not meet your standards. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions, as we really like the surrounding countryside. The hotel is always very welcoming, with really friendly, helpful staff. Our check-in was particularly good. We have always found it to be clean and comfortable, the food is excellent, and the service is really good: nothing is too much trouble. For a relaxing, homely break, either weekend or mid-week, it is an excellent choice. There are also excellent spa facilities, although I have not used them myself.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret J
Dear Margaret,

Thank-you so much for your kind words about your stay, as well as your guest comment card which you completed, which I shared with the team.

It was our pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Inn Ipswich, and we will look forward to your next visit.

Paul
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

After a battle at reception to get the double room I booked , I'm not sure I benefitted as was given probably the smallest double room I've ever stayed in. Why was it that the manager could find a double room on the system when the receptionist was insisting they were full? It was little more than a broom cupboard and as it was at the end of the corridor next to the fire escape, perhaps it was a conversion? I didn't use it but the pool looked a reasonable size and the gym looked ok. My evening meal was surprisingly very nice. I had the lamb and couscous . Although my colleague spent the night being sick after a burger . Breakfast was good. Nice and fresh despite it being a buffet. Plenty of parking and handy location wise. But oh the room....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear RischTetbury,

Thank-you for your review.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We have various room types, which are all purpose built bedrooms.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable evening meal and breakfast. As for your colleague, please ask him him to contact the hotel, so that we can fully investigate your report.