“Nice stay on business at the Holiday inn Ipswich”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Had a recent stay at the Hol Inn Ipswich which, overall, was very nice. Had a horrendous journey in the rain to get there and was nicely cheered by the warm and friendly welcome at reception. The room was fine - typical Hol Inn standard. (I'm a Priority Club member so stay in them a lot). The only problems were that, despite being a non-smoking room, there was a distinct smell of smoke in the room and bathroom - I think that there may be some shared aircon? The other issue was a missing remote for the TV. (More of which later!) Met a colleague in the bar are which was nice and cosy and we had a meal in the restaurant - a bit chilly in there I have to say but the 'pork belly' I had was excellent and the service was good! (Ok, there was a dirty wine glass but this was quickly changed). Re. the TV, I'd mentioned this just before the meal to reception and the receptionist kindly found me another so I carried that around for the evening! Problem was, when I got back to the room it didn't work. It was a bit late by then so I wasn't that bothered overall but I would have liked to watch some TV before turning in for the night. And in the morning before breakfast. Anyway, I did mention it when checking out - and the receptionist promptly credited me with some Priority Points on my account. Unexpected and very welcome so may thanks Holiday Inn Ipswich!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Fuzzbox100,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review about your stay.

I am pleased you found the service to be great during your stay, but of course sorry your room smelt of smoke. The hotel is 100% no smoking, and we enforce this with a £100 fine for anyone smoking in the room. Despite our efforts, some guests do disregard our rules. I am sorry this was the case for you.

I am pleased that the team were able to compensate you for the shortfalls in your stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank-you again, kind regards

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Ipswich

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed here just prior to christmas 2013.and found I had been upgraded....great! Room was very good, reception staff and bar staff friendly and helpful but the food was cold. Put right after asking so was probably down to the Xmas do. The only downside to this hotel is it distance from the town centre. It is next to a park and ride if you also to it...say 10 minutes. I would stay again and was more than happy with my night there.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear KazA007,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your review about your stay.

I am pleased that you found the staff to be great - we do work hard to ensure our guests have a great stay !

As for the location, we do offer free and ample car parking, which our town centre rivals cannot offer, so this is an added attraction to staying with us.

We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank-you again, and kind regards

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I visited the Holiday Inn last week on business and have to say, I expected more! I was a delegate for the day and ordered a sandwich at lunchtime, it arrived in a timely fashion, but to try and find the prawns and avocado was a mission in itself! Anyway, later I was meeting colleagues in the evening and decided to have a meal and wine. The Rioja had clearly be open too long, but the burger was awful! It was a grilled frozen burger, that looked and tasted every bit that it was. Although very differently described on the menu and charged as if it were hand made at £12.95!! I ordered a glass of merlot after the bad experience of the Rioja, which was much better! I'm glad I was staying there, I might have had more to write otherwise?

Dear Stephen,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review.

It is of course disappointing that your experience in our bar didn't meet your expectations. We have a full kitchen team, and all of our food is cooked fresh, including the burgers.

My whole hotel team are in a position to do whatever they can to ensure all of our guests and delegates have a great experience, so please do let us know in future if you are not satisfied..

Many thanks

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed Friday, Saturday for a business trip. Very good service... nice, clean tidy room... Staff.. esp on Sunday were very good... Would love to go back....Central location as well. Although this was not specifically important to me.

1  Thank P G
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear P G,

Thank-you for posting such a great review !!

I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to the team, who will be similarly delighted.

We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thank-you again, and kind regards

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Arrived late and checked in quickly and offered quick check out which I accepted (place receipt under door during night). I did use the gym which was open promptly at 6:30am. The jacuzzi wasn't working and although a little dated they had the basic equipment you'd need for a quick session and seemed to be in good condition. pool is small with only two lanes and as there was a person in each lane already I felt it would be a little cramped so decided not to go in (personal choice). Breakfast seating was very good although two of us asked for poached eggs and porridge which took about 20 mins before arrival. Toast machine was also burning the toast so make sure you turn it down beforehand to save time. Very busy in general especially during checkout time and I did take the blanket from the spare bed during the night as it wasn't standard to provide one. wi-fi cost £3.75 ish which your only permitted two device usage.

Room Tip: ask for quick checkout if not offered, well worth it.
1  Thank Lynsey L

Dear Lynsey L,

Thank-you so much for posting a review.

I was pleased you were able to take advantage of our express check-out service, as well as our gym facility.

I apologise for the delay at breakfast. This should not have been the case, and I will be looking into why this took so long.

As for wi-fi - the good news is that as from July, wi-fi will be free across the hotel for all levels of IHG Rewards members.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon - thank-you again for your review.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed Sunday and Monday night here on business. Monday the hotel ran exactly as a Holiday Inn should. The service was good the restaurant food fine and the room was clean. The location is excellent with a large car park - to summarise everything I expect from this chain.

Sunday evening was like another world. No restaurant - so the helpful reception staff explained that I would be able to order food in the bar area. Yep, that was true if I could get the attention of the bar staff who were more interested in chatting to one another than 'noticing' a customer standing at the bar.

I ordered and was served an excellent curry. Nobody came to clear th plate or ask whether I wanted anything else so I returned to the bar and waited once again until the staff had a break in their conversation. I ordered the cheese plate. Half an hour later I went to reception to let them know that there was now nobody manning the bar and I wanted to cancel my order.

I think that this was my first experience of Sunday service at a Holiday Inn. I know, categorically that it will be my last.

1  Thank Chestertripper
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Chester Tripper,

Thank-you for posting your feedback of your stay.

I apologise we let you down on the Sunday. I will be looking into how we got it so wrong. I have also sent you a personal message with my contact details, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank-you again.

Paul

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Myself partner, sister and her son stayed for the New Years Eve party and overnight stay. First time we have visited a Holiday Inn and have to say how impressed we all were. We were cheerily greeted at reception and the hotel was spotlessly clean. Rooms nice and warm and cosy, and we took full advantage of the leisure centre to swim and use the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which were all very good. Our evening consisted of a three course meal ( good choices for each course) and the layout of the room was very inviting with all staff doing a superb job on what was a very busy get together. The whole evenings atmosphere was great and everyone looked to be having a fab time. Only critism is it would have been nice if there had been a few party poppers on the tables just for a little fun element at midnight, although to be fair there were crackers. After a very good nights sleep ( very quiet which is always a bonus for us when staying in hotels as myself and other half are very light sleepers) we were treated to an excellent buffet breakfast. Considering it was a buffet the food was piping hot and plentiful with very good choice that was constantly replenished so no empty dishes as in some breakfast buffets we've visited in the past. As mentioned in other reviews there was also a pancake machine which was a first for us. My nephew loved this! On checkout we were once again greeted by a friendly lady who wished us well on our journey home. All in all we had a very good New Year's Eve break. Many thanks to all the team at The Holiday Inn for making our stay so enjoyable. Happy New Year.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kas01UK,

Many thanks for posting such a great review.

It looks as though you really took advantage of the whole hotel, and I am so pleased you had such a great stay.

We do all work so hard to ensure our guests have a 10/10 experience, and I am pleased this was the case for you.

We hope to again next year, if not before.

Kind regards

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
pentahotel Ipswich
Muthu Belstead Brook Hotel
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Ipswich? Share your experiences!