“Great location, brilliant staff and food”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, brilliant staff and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Spent 3 nights on a dinner/bed and breakfast rate. Great value for money having booked direct with the Holiday Inn website. Room more spacious that we thought it would be - queen bed and sofabed for our daughter. As previous reviewers have mentioned the bathroom is rather small, but for how long you spend in there it wasn't really an issue for us. Tea/Coffee making facilities (but no fridge which would have been nice to keep drinks cool), trouser press, large flatscreen tv and air conditioning (which was welcoming as we had hot weather throughout our stay). There was a nice pool with spa, steam and sauna, which was lovely to end the day in. Breakfast on two mornings was full buffet, and the other morning when the restaurant was quiet was cooked to order. Nice choice of cold fruits/cereals/cold meats and cheeses/full fried breakfast and toast/croissants/danish/pancake machine. Dinner in the restaurant was lovely - we thought it was buffet (but this was only for the coach party staying) you get to choose from the menu with items marked with an S. There was prawn cocktail/soup of day/cheese topped mushrooms and smoked salmon tart for starter. For main was sausages & mash/two different burgers/chicken kebabs/coronation chicken and one vegetarian meal. For dessert chocolate nemesis/ice cream/caramel apple granny or cherry bakewell cheesecake. All food was nicely presented and tasted lovely. In the lounge area there was a Starbucks (much to my daughter's delight) and free wifi (although 2 out of 3 nights we had trouble getting it). Hotel was ideally situated about 10 minutes from Ipswich town centre, 15 minutes from Flatford Mill/Dedham (great for a lovely walk or boat down the river) and 40 minutes from the lovely coastal resort of Southwold. Great stay and all staff were friendly and welcoming throughout our stay. Would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: No lift so if you stay for a few days and have luggage ask for a room on the ground floor
2 Thank Cambridges
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Cambridges,

Thank-you so much for your great review about your stay with us.

It sounds as though you took full advantage of all that the hotel has to offer, as well as the surrounding area, and had a great time !!

Thanks for the recommendation, and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Paul Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for business, average hotel from Holiday Inn. Romms nice if a little small, leisure facilities pretty nice and clean, restaurant OK with average food, staff very friendly.

Best bits - pool

Worst bits - being asked upon departure if I would give them 10/10 and having a letter asking me the same thing when checking in. Well no I don't give it 10/10 because its a holiday in and not light fantastic but its nice and serves a purpose when away on business

• Stayed August 2013
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Fluffymallows,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay. As you know, I do provide all of my guests with my e-mail address and telephone number so they can let me know how they rated their stay. Guests do not always have the time to offer feedback during their stay, so asking for a rating at check-out allows me the opportunity to speak to a guest who had a poor experience, so I can both understand why, as well as rectify any issues.

I hope you can understand the reason for this, and that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Ipswich.

Thank-you again for your comments.

Regards

Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having been invited to attend a Christening in Suffolk over the August Bank Holiday weekend, my 7 year old daughter and I chose the Holiday Inn Ipswich for an overnight stay. A good choice - despite the short stay, we enjoyed two fun visits to the swimming pool, and my daughter had a nice play outside in the kid's playground. We also had a lovely buffet breakfast in the morning - served until a nice lazy 11am on the Bank Holiday! The room was ideal for us, a twin with two single comfortable beds. At check in, my daughter was also given an activity pack with crayons, puzzles, jigsaw etc to occupy her in the room, and the staff were helpful and cheerful throughout. My one solitary gripe was the lack of a basic free internet (Wifi) service (charges by the hour), which in 2013 really ought to be inclusive in the big hotel chains - it is in most other hotels I travel to. But overall would definitely recommend!

Dear MRunnicles,

Thank-you so much for posting such great comments about your stay. I am pleased you and your daughter enjoyed your time with us, and I hope you will come and see us again the next time you are in the area.

We do offer free wi-fi to all Gold and Platinum IHG Rewards members, and as from next year (around May), all IHG Rewards members will enjoy this benefit.

Thank-you again for taking the time to post your comments.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Visited for one night on 24th August,the restaurant Manager was excellent he provided me with fresh milk no question asked and the breakfast and restaurant staff were also excellent, the receptionist was not particularly as helpful as she could have been even though she did find us a room early not the one allocated to us and she made sure we knew that we should not have been able to have the room before 2pm unfortunately another guest arrived as I stood at the desk and she was given her room straight away proving that their were rooms available without having to be so condescending; the room was very small and the bathroom smaller still,I explained that we were attending a wedding and I had called the hotel to arrange for a room early she said it was on the form but that it was not guaranteed I said I knew this but would appreciate it if possible, she said we could change in the spa changing rooms I explained that this was not ideal and she stated that this was the best they could do if a room was not available. What confused me was there were at the most 20 cars on the car park in the morning not sure how that equates to a full hotel with no spare rooms,in the evening it was very busy so I understand that most of the rooms would be used but a hotel is rarely completely full especially with the amount of hotels in the area. We had noted a discount code on the booking as it was for a wedding (arranged by the groom) we were charged full price, my booking form states that there was a discount but it was ignored.

Had a choice of hotels in the area which had been listed on wedding arrangements but as we had stayed here before we thought it would be the same standard again .... what a mistake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pedr0123,

Thank-you for your comments from your stay with us.

I am sorry that your room was not ready for you when you arrived. As a standard, we have a check-out time of 12 noon, and a check-in time of after 2pm. At weekends in particular our guests tend to enjoy their breakfast and the pool, and then check out at 12noon or a little after. Similarly our guests who are arriving want to take full advantage of the hotel and the facilities, so may want to check-in at 2pm.

This presents the challenge for us to get all the rooms in hotel cleaned in just 2 hours. The staffing levels and schedules in housekeeping means that meeting this demand is not always possible. If the hotel was full the night before, it makes this task all the more challenging - irrespective of the number of cars in the car park, which is in no way indicative of the number of guests who have already left, or who travelled by coach.

We have 7 types of room here at the Holiday Inn, and we try our best to match our rooms with those which have been booked. It may be that some guests reserved a different room type to yourself, which is why their room was ready, and yours was not. I am sure if you booked a family room, or a double bed, you would not be happy with a twin room.

I hope this helps you understand the situation, which while uncommon, can sometimes occur.

Regards

Paul Smith

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

wife and i stayed for three nights here must say our stay was most enjoyable arrived on a busy friday night ,the young lady on the reception all on here own ,but hey no problem to big ,her name was ,Daniela great service,eat in the restaurant the first night it was ok decided to eat out next night sunday we ordered a meal in the bar nice and quite very nice aberdeen angus berger for um wha ,wife had the veg curry most enjoyable,
Breakfast each morning great good choice all round ,
the pool a good size for a hotel ,Well will be staying here again if in the area,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Geof0521,

Many thanks for posting such a great review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in Ipswich.

Paul
Brentwood, Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on the way to the coast. Cannot fault it considering what we paid. Staff were really helpful and polite, breakfast was excellent, great shower and a very nice pool too. We will return!

Solihull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We recently used this hotel as a base whilst visiting family in Ipswich.
The rooms we booked (1 double & 1 twin) were perfectly acceptable - clean & comfortable. The bathroom was fine if a little small but the cold water pressure was very poor. The towels also were quite small and rather thin.
The hotel itself probably needs an update as the corridors are rather dingy.
However, the check in / out was quick and efficient and the staff seemed very friendly.
The hotel has a large car park and is easy to access form the town centre.
We did not eat there.
Overall, the hotel met our needs as a one off visit.

Room Tip: try not to get a room on the front so as to avoid early morning traffic noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear FamilyJ_11,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate your compliments on our staff and happy that you had an efficient check in and check out.

However, I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you had with some of our bathroom amenities. Nevertheless, I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay.

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Dhan M