“Very helpful staff.”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed January 24, 2013

As the title says, very helpful staff, couldn't do enough for you. Other than that a good standard holiday in really. Good breakfast and again nothing too much trouble for the staff. Handy fr most of Sufflok/Norfolk.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Edgarstdude,

I am very proud to have such a great team here at the Holiday Inn Ipswich, and I am pleased that they ensured you had such a great stay.

I really appreciate your comments, and we will look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had a nice and comfortable stay in this hotel during my stay here last month just before christmas. Everything is standard fare Holiday Inn, meeting all expectations... quick & efficient check-in, clean rooms, comfortable bed and decent breakfast...
Located outside the city centre, so you can avoid traffic. Also has sufficient number of parking spaces for easy parking.

1  Thank Shakti S

Dear Shakti S,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you on your return.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a really lovely time. I struggled to find fault with the service, the room, or the facilities. We spent the whole day at the hotel using the pool and sauna etc. Our room was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. We were really pleased that there was an indian buffet in the restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear MaryFrost,

Thank-you very much for posting such great comments about your recent stay.

It's fantastic to hear to hear that you were able to use all of the hotel facilities - our pool, sauna and jacuzzi are certainly a popular destination for our leisure guests, so I am pleased you were able to take advantage of this too.

Thank-you again for your comments, and I hope we will have the pleasure of inviting you back next year for your next anniversary.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Partied new year eve 2012/13 and would like to say how organised and efficient the team at the Holiday Inn were. The food was delicious and arrived with no delay which seeing the number of diners last night was great. Unfortunately I had a little accident a few weeks ago and am in a wheelchair, but I can say that the hotel's facilities are good. The only downside is that the drinks a little expensive, but that didn't stop us having a good time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear FeeSte,

Many thanks for posting your great comments.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your New Year's Eve celebration. We have had plenty of great feedback about the evening from other party goers, so we hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have recently attended a Christmas party at the hotel and wish to contradict everything that the previous person has said about their experiene of the hotel.
The staff are warm, friendly and polite, and go out of their way to ensure that everything is to the guests satisfaction.
The food was excellent, the pate was wholesome and very enjoyable and the soup and melon also looked delicious. My turkey was plentiful and the vegetables were excellent. The dessert was delicious and everyone in my group was very pleased with their selection and choice of food.
The waiting staff were very swift and attentive, and we even had 1 member of the group who had special dietary requirements and they were only to pleased to assist.
The disco was excellent, and whilst i agree that the dance floor is small, the question has to be asked, " how much room did the previous guest require on the floor" ?
Everyone in the group who chose to stay over were very pleased with their rooms, finding them very clean and highly presentable. i find it amazing that the previous guest moaned about the price of the room at over £100, as all party guests were offered a special package of £49 when booking ( which included breakfast).
I will defintely return here for any function in the future.
Well done to everyone !!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear SuffolkUK,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such great comments about your recent party night with us.

I am so pleased that both yourself, and your colleagues had such an enjoyable evening, and I am pleased you specifically note the great staff we have here at the Holiday Inn Ipswich.

Many thanks again for the great review.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay on business quiet often so like to think that I have a balanced view when writing my reviews. Overall I stay with the IHG brand to ensure a consistent quality however this hotel fell short of my expectations. Check in was swift and I was soon in my room, however once in their I noticed how cold it was and despite turning the heating up I still had to wear extra clothing over night to keep me warm which is not what you would expect here. I decided to eat in the restaurant and asked for the Crayfish starter and the Rib Eye steak for mains. When the starter came out it was not crayfish it was Prawns! obviously expetcing me not to noitce and to say there was more lettuce than prawns is an understatement, needless to say I did not enjoy as much. Next the steak I asked for it to be done Medium Rare, when it came out it was more like medium to well done and tough as old boots, so again poor in my experience. Following this the breakfast was no better, slow service for coffee even though there was only four tables being occupied and the breakfast ont he hotplate so dryed up so did not looked very appertising at all. Overall in comparison to other IHG hotels soem more work is needed at this location!

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I was sorry you felt cold in the evening. Next time you stay, please do let us know, as it is no problem for us to adjust the temperature in your room.

I am similarly sorry that your restaurant experience didn't meet your expectations. Please contact me personally next time you make a reservation, and I would be happy to ensure you have a great dinner experience.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

First of all, I'd saw that when writing reviews I'm very much "glass half full". I can understand that not everything is under the control of the hotel and I can accept that the behaviour of other guests is not something that the hotel can be held accountable for. That said ...

I'd booked a room as a place to sleep (i.e. I wasn't execting to spend much time at the hotel other than the hours where I'd be knocking out the Zzz's) while attending the wedding of a friend. Upon arriving, the friend we'd given a lift to (who attempted to check in first) was told by the receptionist that his room wasn't ready yet. Of course, given that we were going to a wedding and had just driven for several hours we were expecting to be able to check in, freshen up and then change into our wedding gear. Following the first check-in attempt, I thought that it'd be OK - we'd muddle through with the 3 of us sharing the facilities of the room that I'd booked for my partner and I. At this point I was told that our room wasn't ready either. Upon questioning it turned out that the rooms couldn't possibly be ready before check-in time, which was 2pm. Confession time: I hadn't realised that check-in time would be 2pm (nor had either of my 2 travelling companions) and I don't blame the hotel for this. I explained to the receptionist that we were attending a wedding and needed somewhere to get changed. Her suggestion was that we go down the the leisure facility and use the changing rooms there, so we set off and located these. Of course, the changing rooms were tiny and crowded with people covered in chlorinated water from the pool. Not really the best environment for getting changed into your Sunday best. At this point I made some 'phone calls and we bid adieu to the Holiday Inn and found somewhere else to get changed. I would like to think that most of the hotels that I've stayed in over the years would have been somewhat more helpful than to basically say "not really our problem" and send us off to somewhere that they should have realised would be quite impractical.

Anyway ... upon returning after the wedding and finally getting access to our room, I can't say that we had any particular positive or negative impression - the room was fine - clean, nice bed, reasonably spacious. However, at about 7am on the following morning (Sunday) I was awakened by the occupants of the adjacent room. Now I don't think that they were being particularly noisy, however I was able to understand every word of their conversation. It turns out that the room which we had been allocated had a connecting doorway to the room next-door which while locked seemed to offer very little in the way of acoustic insulation.

Overall ... actually one of the worst hotel experiences I've had, and as someone who does a reasonable amount of business travel, I like to think I've got a reasonably balanced expectation of hotel service and experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one without a connecting door unless you need one
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear JohnB,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay.

I am sorry that you were not able to check-in before 2pm. As you were attending a wedding, we would have been very happy for you to check in early, but on the day in question, we quite simply did not have any rooms available. If we have a busy weekend, then some guests may not check out until 11.30am or even noon, so it keeps us very busy to ensure all rooms are clean and ready for the next guest at 2pm. If available, we do offer our Priorty Club members free early check-in and late check-out; Priority Club is free to join, and also allows you to collect points when you stay in any IHG hotel, perhaps something you may wish to consider for your next stay.

I was similarly sorry that you were disturbed by the guests in the next room. Usually interconnecting rooms are specifically booked at weekends for families, however, on this occasion they were not reserved.

Thank-you again for taking the time to offer your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your return.