“Wedding Anniversary”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
London
“Wedding Anniversary”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a really lovely time. I struggled to find fault with the service, the room, or the facilities. We spent the whole day at the hotel using the pool and sauna etc. Our room was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. We were really pleased that there was an indian buffet in the restaurant. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear MaryFrost,

Thank-you very much for posting such great comments about your recent stay.

It's fantastic to hear to hear that you were able to use all of the hotel facilities - our pool, sauna and jacuzzi are certainly a popular destination for our leisure guests, so I am pleased you were able to take advantage of this too.

Thank-you again for your comments, and I hope we will have the pleasure of inviting you back next year for your next anniversary.

Paul Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Partied new year eve 2012/13 and would like to say how organised and efficient the team at the Holiday Inn were. The food was delicious and arrived with no delay which seeing the number of diners last night was great. Unfortunately I had a little accident a few weeks ago and am in a wheelchair, but I can say that the hotel's facilities are good. The only downside is that the drinks a little expensive, but that didn't stop us having a good time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear FeeSte,

Many thanks for posting your great comments.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your New Year's Eve celebration. We have had plenty of great feedback about the evening from other party goers, so we hope to see you again next year.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have recently attended a Christmas party at the hotel and wish to contradict everything that the previous person has said about their experiene of the hotel.
The staff are warm, friendly and polite, and go out of their way to ensure that everything is to the guests satisfaction.
The food was excellent, the pate was wholesome and very enjoyable and the soup and melon also looked delicious. My turkey was plentiful and the vegetables were excellent. The dessert was delicious and everyone in my group was very pleased with their selection and choice of food.
The waiting staff were very swift and attentive, and we even had 1 member of the group who had special dietary requirements and they were only to pleased to assist.
The disco was excellent, and whilst i agree that the dance floor is small, the question has to be asked, " how much room did the previous guest require on the floor" ?
Everyone in the group who chose to stay over were very pleased with their rooms, finding them very clean and highly presentable. i find it amazing that the previous guest moaned about the price of the room at over £100, as all party guests were offered a special package of £49 when booking ( which included breakfast).
I will defintely return here for any function in the future.
Well done to everyone !!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear SuffolkUK,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such great comments about your recent party night with us.

I am so pleased that both yourself, and your colleagues had such an enjoyable evening, and I am pleased you specifically note the great staff we have here at the Holiday Inn Ipswich.

Many thanks again for the great review.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay on business quiet often so like to think that I have a balanced view when writing my reviews. Overall I stay with the IHG brand to ensure a consistent quality however this hotel fell short of my expectations. Check in was swift and I was soon in my room, however once in their I noticed how cold it was and despite turning the heating up I still had to wear extra clothing over night to keep me warm which is not what you would expect here. I decided to eat in the restaurant and asked for the Crayfish starter and the Rib Eye steak for mains. When the starter came out it was not crayfish it was Prawns! obviously expetcing me not to noitce and to say there was more lettuce than prawns is an understatement, needless to say I did not enjoy as much. Next the steak I asked for it to be done Medium Rare, when it came out it was more like medium to well done and tough as old boots, so again poor in my experience. Following this the breakfast was no better, slow service for coffee even though there was only four tables being occupied and the breakfast ont he hotplate so dryed up so did not looked very appertising at all. Overall in comparison to other IHG hotels soem more work is needed at this location!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Chris,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

I was sorry you felt cold in the evening. Next time you stay, please do let us know, as it is no problem for us to adjust the temperature in your room.

I am similarly sorry that your restaurant experience didn't meet your expectations. Please contact me personally next time you make a reservation, and I would be happy to ensure you have a great dinner experience.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

First of all, I'd saw that when writing reviews I'm very much "glass half full". I can understand that not everything is under the control of the hotel and I can accept that the behaviour of other guests is not something that the hotel can be held accountable for. That said ...

I'd booked a room as a place to sleep (i.e. I wasn't execting to spend much time at the hotel other than the hours where I'd be knocking out the Zzz's) while attending the wedding of a friend. Upon arriving, the friend we'd given a lift to (who attempted to check in first) was told by the receptionist that his room wasn't ready yet. Of course, given that we were going to a wedding and had just driven for several hours we were expecting to be able to check in, freshen up and then change into our wedding gear. Following the first check-in attempt, I thought that it'd be OK - we'd muddle through with the 3 of us sharing the facilities of the room that I'd booked for my partner and I. At this point I was told that our room wasn't ready either. Upon questioning it turned out that the rooms couldn't possibly be ready before check-in time, which was 2pm. Confession time: I hadn't realised that check-in time would be 2pm (nor had either of my 2 travelling companions) and I don't blame the hotel for this. I explained to the receptionist that we were attending a wedding and needed somewhere to get changed. Her suggestion was that we go down the the leisure facility and use the changing rooms there, so we set off and located these. Of course, the changing rooms were tiny and crowded with people covered in chlorinated water from the pool. Not really the best environment for getting changed into your Sunday best. At this point I made some 'phone calls and we bid adieu to the Holiday Inn and found somewhere else to get changed. I would like to think that most of the hotels that I've stayed in over the years would have been somewhat more helpful than to basically say "not really our problem" and send us off to somewhere that they should have realised would be quite impractical.

Anyway ... upon returning after the wedding and finally getting access to our room, I can't say that we had any particular positive or negative impression - the room was fine - clean, nice bed, reasonably spacious. However, at about 7am on the following morning (Sunday) I was awakened by the occupants of the adjacent room. Now I don't think that they were being particularly noisy, however I was able to understand every word of their conversation. It turns out that the room which we had been allocated had a connecting doorway to the room next-door which while locked seemed to offer very little in the way of acoustic insulation.

Overall ... actually one of the worst hotel experiences I've had, and as someone who does a reasonable amount of business travel, I like to think I've got a reasonably balanced expectation of hotel service and experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one without a connecting door unless you need one
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnB,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay.

I am sorry that you were not able to check-in before 2pm. As you were attending a wedding, we would have been very happy for you to check in early, but on the day in question, we quite simply did not have any rooms available. If we have a busy weekend, then some guests may not check out until 11.30am or even noon, so it keeps us very busy to ensure all rooms are clean and ready for the next guest at 2pm. If available, we do offer our Priorty Club members free early check-in and late check-out; Priority Club is free to join, and also allows you to collect points when you stay in any IHG hotel, perhaps something you may wish to consider for your next stay.

I was similarly sorry that you were disturbed by the guests in the next room. Usually interconnecting rooms are specifically booked at weekends for families, however, on this occasion they were not reserved.

Thank-you again for taking the time to offer your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your return.

Paul

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

Essex
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had the misfortune of attending an Xmas party here at the weekend as the Company my wife works for had chosen this venue for their annual Christmas party. To start with we initially enquired what the cost of a double room with breakfast would be so we could weigh it up against the cost of a Taxi each way and were initially quoted £115 for the night, My wife then contacted their party planner at the venue to be sold a double room with Breakfast for £49. Check in was swift if a little cold the receptionist had little personality and just went through the motions. Our room was a decent size and very clean the bed was also comfortable and the choice of soft or firm pillows a nice touch my only gripe was the "trendy" wooden curtains which had been knocked off their runner and took a good 10 minutes on man handling to actually get them to block out the light!

Then on to the Meal i opted for the started of Country Pate with toast and Onion marmalade the pate had the appearance of dog food and tasted like chopped saveloy set in jelly, the Main Course of Traditional turkey roast was average the turkey was ok and the roast potatoes were decent the vegetables however had been cooked for a good few hours and were nothing more than mush, and the pigs in blankets seemed to have been steamed rather than baked or grilled they were anemic to the point of looking raw several people at out table refused to eat them . And the dessert of cheesecake was more air than cheesecake and tasted like it was made up from a packet.

the "dancefloor" was the size of a postage stamp and the choice of music was verging on the bizarre.

After a decent nights sleep we headed down for breakfast we had just walked into the dining room when a short surly woman barked at us that we " Couldn't just walk in she has to seat us" we were no more than 2 feet inside the entrance. Before she demanded our room number and after much huffing and puffing pointed us to a table and pointing out that it was all self service and we just had to help ourselves. The whole dining room stank of burning toast and as it transpired the toaster was on the blink and was over heating on the top burner but none the less it was left running i wwent over to use it and it was then that i spotted it was plugged into a 4 way socket all but 1 on the plug holes were burnt, melted and scorched around the live pin not safe for the staff or the customers, I can't see why this was not shut down and packed away and toast orders taken and processed in the Kitchen it is after all only grilling toast and despite the shoddy food the night before surely you can't mess up making toast. There was a good selection of cooked breakfast, Sausages, bacon, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, hash browns and fried eggs all though only stone cold plates which meant that by the time you got back to the table the meal was cold. the selection of cold meat etc was drab with several items dried and starting to curl up.

the coffee was not bad at all although the table behind us complained that theirs had coffee grounds in it only to be told in a very matter of fact way that it was " the end of the pot" as if that somehow made it ok. the tea was awful like dishwater!

We stayed here as it was cheaper than getting a cab both ways so for that alone it served a purpose but someone who knows a little about food and service needs to be sent in to get this place up to scratch.

I can't comment on the pool facilities as they had been closed for a week for cleaning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AngryBishop,

Thank-you for taking the time to offer feedback about your recent stay with us, all points of which I have duly noted.

It is disappointing that you didn't enjoy the party night, as we have had so much great feedback our events.

Thank-you again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Regards

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Pros -Reception very nice, friendly staff. Free glass of wine on arrival was a nice touch. Breakfast was very tasty and the room had a warm feel. Cons - No plug socket next to the bed for my mob phone was annoying. No free internet, as stated on the website, why does this Holiday inn not participate when so many other Holiday inns do. I then had to use my free usage on my mob phone to send emails, rather than pay for the holiday Inn usage, when the room cost nearly £130 for one night!. No biscuits on T tray. Room service was not good. Chips were under done and they forgot my ice cream on my treacle pudding, which meant it was so sickly, I only had a couple of spoonfuls. The fish and chips on the menu said a bread roll and butter, I received a flimsy piece of white bread. I also had a very painful ear infection and ran out of ibuprofen. At 2am I rang reception to ask if they had any ibuprofen that I could purchase and I was told they cannot give any to guests, this medication is not even over the counter. I then had to drive to Tesco and buy some at 2am. End result sleep and night poor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Gavin C Reading,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay.

I was pleased that you were impressed with the staff, and our breakfast.

I will most certainly be looking into the comments you have made about the other aspects of your stay, and I can appreciate your concerns about charging for wi-fi in the hotel. When this is next reviewed by Holiday Inn, I will most certainly be stressing feedback such as yours.