“Good service and facilities, some refurb required” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Ipswich

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Lancing
“Good service and facilities, some refurb required”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights for a leisure weekend. Very welcoming, enthusiastic staff at reception. Reception and bar area very pleasant spaces. No priority club upgrade available, but we found out later that there was a wedding party in, so fully booked. Room was small but clean - bathroom particularly pokey, had to squeeze round the door to get in. Was pleased that a good sized pool which was split to allow lane swimmers and fun kid space, nice hot tub, sauna and team room. Also, good looking gym - although didn't use this. Had breakfasts both days where great hot/cold buffet selection and competitively priced. Staff were all friendly and coped well with busy wedding crowd. We're kept up with wedding music but manager very understanding when we mentioned on check out and dealt with very satisfactorily, no quibble response. Much appreciated. Overall, good standard hotel, competitively rates and some good amenities, some rooms may need some refurb/redesign.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you found your weekend stay at our hotel to be a pleasurable experience and enjoyed using our leisure facilities,

Refurbishment of the hotel is an ongoing project and we have recently completely refurbished our bar and lounge area.

I am pleased you found our staff pleasant and helpful and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Paul Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Woking
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed at Holiday Inn in Ipswich to attend a Family Wedding.We arrived early to get changed
in time for the Church Service.The Recepionist said our room was not yet ready but she would ensure it was done next. We had a Coffee in the Bar and before long the Receptionist came to tell us the room was now ready so that we could get to the Church on time.The room was excellent with outstanding Bathroom.You would have to be very picky to find a fault with these rooms.Well done Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter B
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay at our hotel and found the Receptionist to be so helpful.

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments and I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here on business and was impressed with the facilities available, the gym and swimming were a bonus to my stay, although they are limited in terms of the gym equipment, it was nice to have something to do out of the room. I ordered room service as an evening meal, the food was simple but nice. I also ordered breakfast as room service and it was delivered promptly. The reception staff were all helpful and friendly. Overall a great place to stay for a quick overnighter, with the added bonus of a gym and pool.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Neil O
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for such positive comments following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you found all our facilities met your expectations and that you found the staff helpful and friendly. I do hope we will be seeing you again the not too distant future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Hotel seems a bit tired. My swipe card for the room didn't work first time and had a long walk back to reception to get it re-charged. Poor looking bar area. Staff were friendy and helpful.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite a walk from Reception. Would advise elderly or disabled to mention it when book...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful following your recent visit.

I am delighted to say that our lounge and bar area have recently had a complete upgrade so I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel so you can see the improvements first hand.

norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Holiday Inn is on the road into Ipswich and close to the A14 so is handy for visiting throughout the area. The hotel is set back from the road surrounded by well manicured lawns and the car park.

The hotel itself is fairly standard and reception is a bit cramped. Likewise, the room was on the small size. However, it was clean and pleasantly furnished and I liked the wooden shutters which gave a Japanese. The bathroom was scrupulously clean and toiletries acceptable. We had a good deal on advance purchase so the room was value for money. (The corridors are long and a bit grim they need some art work.)

We had a comfortable night's sleep. Staff were pleasant and helpful and the complimentary tea and coffee at check out was a nice touch.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank fenflyer
, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your input following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us and thought it was value for money. We are continually upgrading our facilities and have just finished refurbishing our lounge and bar area.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Not deserving of the Holiday Inn standard. The checkin staff very ignorant and inefficient. We were committed a rate including breakfast but not honoured at checkin. Very disappointing experience. We requested them to look up the advertisement in the internet on their site but they said they had no access and since they were not informed about the promotion, they could not give us breakfast. We were the total losers as it was too late in the night to find other accomodation and just had to stay against our will.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to our hotel.

I am very sorry to hear about the confusion over your booking on arrival. When you next wish to book the webisite to use is www.holidayinn.co.uk which guarantees the best possible price.

Paul Smith

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We had been staying five nights in Ipswich and had been booked into another local hotel. However, due to some issues at that hotel, the family and I decided to check out early and transfer for the final two nights into the HI Ipswich.

I dropped into the hotel earlier in the day to see if they could take us in at short notice. We have two young children in powered chairs so we either need one room big enough to accommodate all of us and the luggage and the chairs, or we need two interconnecting rooms which together are large enough. They confirmed they had two rooms and I reserved the rooms.

I am used to staying in ICHG hotels and have Gold Priority Club membership, so I knew what I expected to see from Holiday Inn. My initial impressions were better than I expected. The family were warmly welcomed in. The reception staff took time to chat to the children and make us all feel welcome. The layout in the reception area and the public areas adjacent are all smart and full of character with a oak beamed appearance. There are wheelchair lifts down to these areas including the restaurant and also up to the ground floor rooms (the hotel ground floor is split level, the rooms being up about five or six steps, and the public areas down three or four steps). The staff provided us with complimentary drinks and treats as recognition of my Priority Club status, which was nice. Often hotels don't even acknowledge you as a loyal customer.

The problem came when we got to our rooms. We had been given two interconnecting rooms, but they were "normal" sized rooms which means the powered chairs were barely able to squeeze between the bed and furniture, let alone turn around. However, I can hardly give the hotel a hard time about this given our last minute tentative request and booking, although perhaps they could have pre-empted that problem when choosing the rooms for us.

So I went back to reception, and the receptionist found two possible alternative rooms, walked up to the rooms with me and showed me where they were, the layouts etc. They were two accessible rooms, but were not interconnecting - at that late stage the hotel simply didn't have any interconnecting accessible rooms available. However, the rooms were next door to one another and my ten years old, when he realised he could contact us using the room phone, was enthusiastic to say the least at staying in a separate room with his sister. A first time for everything!! So that was it, problem solved, and a great deal down to the willingness of the reception staff to help resolve the problem.

By some miracle, the children did actually go to sleep instead of talking to each other all evening without mum and dad there to tell them to be quiet. The beds were comfy. We all slept well. The bathrooms are spacious, even for accessible bathrooms. I won't go into the design of the toilet bowls in HI accessible bathrooms - I'm sure there is a good medical reason - but I have to say that without a particular need for them, they can be a little unpleasant to use. I won't say any more.

We did have some problem with the TVs. The hotel seems to be using a software based TV system which looks smart and very user friendly. However, on one channel, ITV I think, the TV kept rebooting which was annoying.

Breakfast was great. Really nice food. I sometimes think Holiday Inn food can be left a little wanting, but they always seem to make great breakfasts, and the HI Ipswich was no exception. I found the photos adorning the restaurant room quite fascinating. They all seemed to be photographs of a white and beige leather suitcase in unusual locations. Odd but strangely artistic.

The public area was not only characterful, but large and spacious with lots of windows around the outside making it nice and light. The bar staff were very friendly, making excellent coffees and teas. We had a visit by our extended family, about 15 in total, and we comfortably fitted into one corner of the room and were easily catered for.

Check out was efficient and once again very friendly.

I now know which two rooms are accessible and interconnecting and will be asking for those when we stay there again, which I'm sure we will.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure it was to read such positive comments following your recent stay with us.

I am heartened to hear how attentive and helpful you found our Reception team to be and that you now know which rooms to book when you next visit our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found breakfast to a high standard and enjoyed our lounge refreshments.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Yours sincerely,