“A comfy place to stay”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
London, United Kingdom
“A comfy place to stay”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Last July I stayed here on a two-night birdwatching holiday. It was in a great place, with shops and restaurants within a few minutes driving and not far from RSPB Minsmere, Snape and North Warren. i had heard Holiday inns had an okay reputation so my expectations were fairly low, but upon walking in I was pleasantly surprised by how tidy the hotel was. The staff on the desk were friendly and informative and gave gave me an idea of where things were. the swimming pool was small but clean and great to swim in in the evenings/early mornings. We had no disturbance from any other hotel guests, the food was wonderful and I ended up spending much more time in the hotel than I was planning. I've heard that it needs a referb but don't know how true this is and can safely say it was great a year ago.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us last July and found all our facilities to your satisfaction.

We are at present in the process of having our bar and lounge area refurbished which will enhance all the other aspects of our hotel.

I do trust that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future when you will be able to see our changes first hand.

Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business in June 2012 and was not disappointed. The hotel reception staff are very friendly and accomodating. My colleague did move rooms as she does not like interconnecting doors, and the reception staff were very helpful with this. The hotel has a small pool, jacuzzi and steam room along with a gym equipt with 3 running machines, bikes and weights. The breakfast was a buffet comprising of continental and full english which was lovely. The hotel is a short car journey from the town centre where there are many different restaurants to eat in. I would definately stay at this hotel again should I find myself in that part of the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without interconnecting doors if you are travelling alone or in a couple as you will...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments following your recent stay with us and I am delighted to hear that you will be staying with us again when you next visit Ipswich.

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful and that the breakfast was to your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We returned to this hotel after first visiting it in August 2011. We enjoyed our stay then and it was even better this time. All the staff were very friendly and most helpful. The staff in reception went out of their way to direct us to the Records Office and were genuinely interested in us as guests. The hotel is situated in very well kept pleasant surroundings and near the main routes for easy access. The food in the restuarant was better on the first night than the second. There were various groups who were having a buffet style meal that may have been suitable for other guests as one could then choose your own portions (as you get older one eats less). The swimming pool is good to use and we joined a Spirit Health Club near home after sampling the pool on our previous visit. We would most definitely us this hotel on any return visit to Ipswich.

Room Tip: It is a large hotel with no lift to the first floor and rooms can be a long way from the restaurant...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read that on your return visit to found the hotel exceeded your expectations. We do welcome customer comments regarding any aspect of our business and your views on the restaurant dinner.

I am pleased your visit to our Spirit Health Club inspired you to join your local one and I trust you enjoy their facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

London
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Checking in to a hotel such as this, you would be forgiven for thinking that all you are going to get is the bare minimum standard stuff. But the reception is well run and helpful, the restaurant in the evenings serves some really nice food.

One big con for me...I ordered some room service one night and the quality gap between that food and that served in the restaurant is staggering.

But saying that, I would never give a hotel like this 5 stars and I wouldn't reduce it lower than 4 stars for that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Guest

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and that you found the staff pleasant and helpful.

Thank you for your views regarding the quality of the food you received from Room Service. These constructive comments help us to ensure that we maintain our high standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We are great fans of the Holiday Inn group both here and in the US. Their reward scheme, in particular, is one of the best around. We use this hotel a lot as our son lives in Ipswich with his young family and over the years it has really grown on us. We always get a warm welcome at the front desk. The rooms, although small, are always clean and comfortable and if you ask for a room at the back of the hotel, it is quiet and you get a view of open fields. There is a well maintained swimming pool and the public areas are pleasant. The restaurant is only average but there are plenty of alternatives in the area and a supermarket just down the road if you are on a room only rate and don't want to pay out for breakfast. If you happen to be in Ipswich, go down to the marina and there is a really good coffee shop where you can watch the boats and sip your latte.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, they are quiet and have a view of open fields. This hotel i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jgatsby
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your visits to our hotel.

It is a pleasure to read how attentive you find our staff throughout the hotel and enjoy our swimming pool.

We are always happy to read guests views on pricing and will be looking at ways of offering refreshments at varying prices. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Really enjoyed the food, Rooms were more than comfortable and spacious- (2 adults and 2 Children) Have stayed twice now and would not have returned had it not been adequate. Staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tammy D
Paul S, Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the very positive comments you have made following your recent stay at our hotel.

We are delighted that we have met all your expectations and look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed here in an Executive Room (#106) for two nights over a weekend. Build in the 1970s, this hotel is now looking shabby and in need of renovation.

Check in was slow and the receptionist did not seem to know what she was doing. Room was worn out - stains on the carpet, holes in the armchair, taps loose, shower difficult to regulate and turn off, air conditioning kept switching off after about 30 seconds, lights buzzed continuously etc

We ate in the bar on Sunday night. Nobody else was there. My order was wrong when it arrived and tasted stale. No staff were around to speak to. When we checked out, the receptionist just shrugged and said she would mention this to the kitchen staff.

The swimming pool was welcome, but the sauna and steam room were not working on one visit. Changing rooms are overdue a facelift.

As mentioned by others, internet charges seemed expensive for 2012.

I would not wish to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iskaymuyu
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Iskaymuyu,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide me personally with further details about your stay here at the Holiday Inn Ipswich.

While we are unable to change the age of the hotel, we do have an ongoing soft refurbishment programme, which maintains a fresh appearance. Our bar is in fact having such a refurbishment in July.

I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion, and if you return to Ipswich, I have provided you with my direct number, so please do give me call, as I would love the opportunity to show you our ongoing investment and improvements.

Thank-you once again.

Paul Smith

Travelers are raving about these Ipswich hotels