“Give it a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Alaturka

Alaturka
Ranked #5 of 442 Restaurants in Ipswich
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Traditional yet modern!Alaturka Restaurant is a perfect place to enjoy a meal in the friendly and relaxing atmosphere or to host your special event whatever it is…We serve good quality food at affordable prices. We have a wide selection of meals of Turkish cuisine the heritage of Ottoman Empire. Come to Alaturka for a delicious meal with great service.Alaturka PromiseThe secret of Turkish cuisine is a mixture between the spices and the main ingredients, achieving a delicate balance that enhances the taste of each. At Alaturka we have fresh local produce delivered every day and our food is all made with natural ingredients.
“Give it a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

My partner and I went there on a weekday night, and used our taste card which gives a two for one deal. Despite being "cheap rate" customers, the service was polite and attentive.

Our starters (Kalamari and prawns respectively) were acceptable but nothing special, a little on the small side and the sort of thing that you might have in a pub etc. Maybe they were not prepared in-house but bought in frozen? I don't know, but they were certainly not a patch on the main courses.

My lamb Kuzu sis (shish kebab) was meltingly tender, beautifully seasoned and charcoal grilled to perfection, really good. My partner had the Alaturka Spesiyal ( mixed grilled meats with bread and a yoghurt sauce) which he declared to be very good.

We didn't try the puddings.

Even with a bottle of Turkish Villa Doluca wine to try, the bill was not excessive. The restaurant has about 12 other people when we were there (us, another couple and a table of work colleagues) but even so the single waiter was in control at all times.

I'd say, give it a try. It's exactly the sort of independent, non-chain restaurant that Ipswich needs more of. We had a good midweek meal in a nice ambience with attentive service. Maybe skip the starters and go for the main event and pudding?

• Visited March 2013

East Midlands
“Turkish delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Although do excellent lunch deals; we went for an early evening / pre-theatre meal.
The service and food were first class and brings a real taste of Turkey to Suffolk and is a pleasant change to the usual fare on offer when going out for a meal.
We've been to Turkey and this food was as good as we've tasted and brings authentic cuisine to the good people of Ipswich

1 Thank Ricoh8
Tiptree, England
“Nice to have something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I visited here using my Tastecard so the food was on offer at 2 for 1 price. The restaurant is in what looks to be a converted old house which added to it's charm. The staff were helpful and friendly but not in your face or pushy. The food was very nice and made a change from the usual fayre on offer. The starters are priced around £4-5 and there was a good selection to choose from. Mains were about £10-15 pounds. Desserts were about £5.
It wasn't especially busy but I put this down to it being a Tuesday. The food was good but not the largest meal I have ever had, I wouldn't say this is a negative point for me as I don't like feeling over full after a meal but it might put some people off. My husband found his meal quite filling so perhaps it depends on what you order. I would go again if I was in the area but only using my discount card.

“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had high hopes for this after hearing so many positive reviews but was underwhelmed.

We went on a week night and there was only us and one other table there. Only one person out of our six was impressed with their starter. I ordered the klefiko main dish and it was a lovely knuckle of lamb so I was happy enough, but the rest of the dish lacked flavour. Most of the other mains were apparently quite bland and they didn't look very appetising to me.

It felt like it was really missing something and on the basis of my one visit it definitely doesn't match up to other Turkish restaurants I've eaten in.

3 Thank russwel
“Missing something”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Returned a second time as my first experience in the evening was so obviously at odds with other reviewers, but a lunchtime visit, for the admittedly good value set menu, still only merited three stars. Complimentary excellent warm, fresh flatbread and olives are placed on the table for nibbling during menu perusal, but unfortunately that's as good as it gets. The dishes are unusual and go beyond the standard meze and kebabs, but there is a certain uniformity and blandness, as if spicing and flavours have been ameliorated not to offend a Suffolk palate. Decor is unremarkable; service friendly enough, but if you've eaten in Turkey itself it might be interpreted as condescending. However, wouldn't like to put you off going: Ipswich needs the variety of restaurants such as this, and it is obviously very popular with others.

• Visited February 2013