“Lovely Sunday lunch experience”
Review of The Rep

The Rep
Ranked #8 of 70 Nightlife in Ipswich
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a very good value meal here, We were pleasantly surprised to find there was live music provided by a very talented girl singer. Her voice was the best I've heard in a long time ( including any on The X Factor!) The style of music fitted perfectly with the ambience of the place, with its new sophisticated decor.
The staff deserve praise for the way the venue is being improved and I hope the general public will get behind the business and give it a chance. We saw that there are D.J.s on Friday & Saturday nights so will return then.

There are newer reviews for The Rep

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

beautifully decorated, friendly staff, and very quick service. I will be returning to this stunning pub. To be honest we stumbled upon it by chance, saw a sign outside offering Sunday Dinners and went in. Food was really nice and very reasonable. Try it yourself

1  Thank kim r
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Rep sounds like it might have a 'bad rep' but I went in there for a £5.99 deli deal and was surprised at how pleasant it was. The baguette came with a very generous portion of Hoisin Duck, there were plenty of fries and although the IPA had dried up, I was given an alternative....for £5.99 you can't complain. It took 20-30 minutes to get served which is worse than the usual Wetherspoons service but at least I know it was fresh, and it was worth the wait.

The old theatre itself is a nice setting but I can imagine it's a busy, dirty pub on a Friday night.

In conclusion; go there for lunch but not necessarily in the evening.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Unfortunately I have to agree with the previous review...rubbish again! A great shame because this could be a great to frequent and eat, but it isn't. The building is fab with a great location and obviously a great tradition/history. But the service is AWFUL...we had to wait an hour for our main course and gave up on dessert after 45 minutes of further waiting after we had finished our main course - nobody came to take our order! The food itself is disappointingly bland - just like a school dinner from the 60's. My order was wrong but I persevered because I was so hungry, the salad is bland and minimal, the waiters are young lads who are in desperate need of some training - they just don't know what good customer service is. And the staff DO stand at the end of the bar chatting - incredible when there are customers waiting to eat, desperate to place and order, and plates waiting to be cleared. And there was not a manager/supervisor in sight. In short, farcical. There are many, many other much, much better places to eat giving real value for money. AVOID.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have lived in Ipswich my whole life and have seen The Rep go through many different changes. I have been in there several times, mainly with business colleagues, as I love the old building and it is close to work. But I have to say that the current manager and staff are the worst I have ever seen. In the past year I have been in around 4-5 times and each time my experience has gone from bad to worse. The food is dreadful and there has been something wrong with every meal I have ordered, sometimes I have had to wait for up to an hour for food that is inedible and quite often not as described on the menu. I can not understand why the food has gone downhill in the past year and why they got rid of so many tables! I also can not understand why they do not pay to replace the lightbulbs, it is so dark in there now you can hardly see where you are going or what you are eating! This week was the final straw as a female member of staff was just downright rude to me when I said my food was not as I ordered The staff as a whole are unprofessional and always more interested in talking amongst themselves at the end of the bar than actually serving people. Do not go here if you want to see service with a smile. I will no longer go there which is such a shame and I will tell everyone I know of my experience's so they don't waste there money. Why don't they just sell the place and let someone who knows what they are doing rescue this disaster of a business.

2  Thank Terry P