“Lovely modern hotel and very good value for money”
Review of Novotel Ipswich

Novotel Ipswich
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 20, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Only stayed for one night as we were passing through but I cannot fault this hotel- very family friendly. Clean and excellent breakfast, the children even had a hot chocolate treat to get them fueled up in the morning. The staff were lovely, very helpful and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Ipswich Centre again very soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel is centrally located in Ipswich and 10 minutes walk from the railway station. The rooms were clean but very dull decor. White and magnolia in the bedrooms. The bedrooms just looked drab not the place to pick for a luxury weekend. The car park is also incredably small and £7 overnight.

• Stayed: August 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We appreciate all feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Serhan ilker

An Accor traveler
Reviewed August 11, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this Hotel for one night. We planned our annual shopping trip with overnight stay and chose Novotel Ipswich because of the location to the shops, restaurants and Marina.
The Hotel was easy to find. The staff were very warm and welcoming and helpful with service and directions to local venues. The room was very clean and comfortable. Although a twin room was not available for our stay we did have a double bed and a sofa bed both of which were very comfy. Our room overlooked the main road but there was no traffic noise that disturbed us due to the double glazed windows.
The breakfast was enjoyable with a selection of cereals, fruit etc and hot food available until 11am. Over all we would stay here again.

I do have a couple of grumbles though:
1) BEWARE THE 'so called' MINI BAR.
When we arrived there were 4 x 500ml bottles of water and 4 x milks in a small glass door fridge. No alcohol or snacks? and no sign saying we would be charged for the water. This did not equate to us as a 'mini bar'! As the weather had been stifling we decided to drink some of the water when we returned to our room later and during the night. Thinking it must have been complimentary due to the heat. How wrong were we. At check out we were asked if we had drunk the water from the 'Mini Bar'. Of which we said yes 3 of them. We were then charged £2.50 per bottle. Not amused!
2) £7 parking charge and not even guaranteed a space! Not amused!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are at Novotel Ipswich Centre appreciate your feedback, though, our parking is secure, CCTV monitored, convenient however limited space as same as the other hotels in Ipswich Town Centre.
With regards o the minibar I would like to inform you that each minibar has price sticker on its window.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel after finding it on sale on the Accor website.
I stay in Ipswich on a regular basis and normally stay in one of the budget hotel chains. However, as I was booking a holiday on the Accor site I came across this hotel cheaper than both of the budget hotels I normally stay at.
I do use Novotel hotels when on holiday and therefore have a benchmark to compare. I can't comment on the parking costs or quality of the food as I use the train and eat at independent restaurants.
As regards the entrance and reception these are modern and clean and I noticed that there are on-going decorations. There is a fitness room and as per most hotels of this chain consists of two running machines and a cycle machine with multigym style machine. The lounge area is large and comfortable and a nice place for a quiet drink. Service, however, can be slow.
The room was large and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was modern, very clean and well stocked with the "essentials". There is plenty of storage space and the usual ironing board and iron. The minibar only contained water at £2.50 and milk for the complimentary tea and coffee.
For a few nights stay it's location is great right in the town centre, close to shop's, station and Portman Road stadium.
I would probably not pay the full price so next time it's back to budget chains

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Ipswich Centre.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is OK. It is well-located in the centre of Ipswich, near the shopping area and the marina. We spent two satisfactory nights there, although we won't be rushing back. We were in a standard room which was spacious enough with a king-size bed, and a bizarre, foamy-feel mattress. The pillows on the bed were too thick and gave me slight neck ache on the first night. In the morning I found thinner pillows in the cupboard, which were a vast improvement for night two. The room also contained a double seat sofa, a decent size desk, a TV with iPod lead so you could play your music through it, a safe, and tea & coffee making facilities. To watch even the most basic terrestrial channels though, you need to navigate more than 3 scroll menus on the TV- a ludicrous system which must surely flummox those less gadget-savvy. It is a similar effort to play your iPod through it too. There was no mini bar except for bottled water which was £2.50 per 500ml. As is expected in a Novotel, the bathroom and toilet were separate rooms, and I still find it disturbing that that there is no hand basin in the separate toilet! The power shower was good (but no bath) - so good in fact that I had to pause mid-shower because the water was not draining away quickly enough - and the products provided were decent, if unmemorable. There is complimentary in-room wifi which is fine for basic email checking, but for anything such as streaming video or working via VPN, it is essential you pay an additional £9 per day for a faster service. There is plenty of choice at the buffet breakfast and the quality is adequate - but not really 4 star. For example, the croissants were clearly 'standard catering fayre', dry, anaemic-looking, non-buttery, and would surely have appalled the French founders of the Accor group. Tomato ketchup at breakfast came in no-brand, cheapo sachets, when bizarrely the same room the night before when in 'restaurant mode' had served Heinz tomato ketchup out of glass pots. We found that the choice diminished the later you took it - there is clearly a policy towards the end of breakfast time of 'when it's gone it's gone'. Dinner at the Novotel restaurant is perfectly acceptable but not great, and not just because the room is totally bland and soul-less. I actually had to send my steak back as its was seriously over-cooked, however this could not have been dealt with better by the waiting staff, with an immediate apology issued and the offending steak taken away and a replacement rustled up as quickly as possible. We were also given complimentary coffees - first class restaurant service, even if the food is lacklustre and over-priced. We had cocktails both nights in the hotel, but these too were very disappointing - surprisingly less expensive than is typical, but also containing fewer spirits than is normal too. Generally we found the hotel staff polite and efficient, but very stiff and formal, not friendly and relaxed at all. The exception to this rule was a Thai lady - Sukinya- who worked behind the bar in the evenings and waited at breakfast too; she was friendliness and professionalism personified throughout our stay. There is a gym (without steam/sauna) but we didn't use it, so can't comment on it. Parking on-site is costs £7 per 24 hours and we had no problem with finding a space. There is no air-conditioning in the bedrooms (although there is in the lobby and restaurant) which would not normally be a problem in the UK. However because the hotel is situated on a very busy road, it is extremely noisy to sleep with the window open. Despite many negative criticisms, I would not be unhappy to stay here again (provided the rate were heavily discounted!), however, given the choice, would definitely seek out a Premier Inn first since the standard is pretty similar and Premier Inns tends to be priced much more realistically for the level of service they offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CJMANUK

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Ipswich Centre. I would like to inform you that we do provide 512 kbps free WiFi and also 5 times faster WiFi available with premium charge however it is complimentary for the guest who stays at Executive rooms, my understanding is you stayed at one of our Exec.rooms so you could have used that complimentary service as well as complimentary bottle of water and Pay TV. And also just let you know that unfortunately none of the hotels' GYM in Ipswich town centre has steam and sauna!
Our parking is secure, CCTV monitored, convenient however limited space as same as the other hotels in Ipswich Town Centre.
Apologies for not living up to your expectations. Do feel free to call me on 01473 232400 or email me on H0995-GM@accor.com to discuss further.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards