“Glad I stayed but would I have paid full price”
Review of Novotel Ipswich

Novotel Ipswich
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Glad I stayed but would I have paid full price”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel after finding it on sale on the Accor website.
I stay in Ipswich on a regular basis and normally stay in one of the budget hotel chains. However, as I was booking a holiday on the Accor site I came across this hotel cheaper than both of the budget hotels I normally stay at.
I do use Novotel hotels when on holiday and therefore have a benchmark to compare. I can't comment on the parking costs or quality of the food as I use the train and eat at independent restaurants.
As regards the entrance and reception these are modern and clean and I noticed that there are on-going decorations. There is a fitness room and as per most hotels of this chain consists of two running machines and a cycle machine with multigym style machine. The lounge area is large and comfortable and a nice place for a quiet drink. Service, however, can be slow.
The room was large and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was modern, very clean and well stocked with the "essentials". There is plenty of storage space and the usual ironing board and iron. The minibar only contained water at £2.50 and milk for the complimentary tea and coffee.
For a few nights stay it's location is great right in the town centre, close to shop's, station and Portman Road stadium.
I would probably not pay the full price so next time it's back to budget chains

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Ipswich Centre.
Serhan Ilker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel is OK. It is well-located in the centre of Ipswich, near the shopping area and the marina. We spent two satisfactory nights there, although we won't be rushing back. We were in a standard room which was spacious enough with a king-size bed, and a bizarre, foamy-feel mattress. The pillows on the bed were too thick and gave me slight neck ache on the first night. In the morning I found thinner pillows in the cupboard, which were a vast improvement for night two. The room also contained a double seat sofa, a decent size desk, a TV with iPod lead so you could play your music through it, a safe, and tea & coffee making facilities. To watch even the most basic terrestrial channels though, you need to navigate more than 3 scroll menus on the TV- a ludicrous system which must surely flummox those less gadget-savvy. It is a similar effort to play your iPod through it too. There was no mini bar except for bottled water which was £2.50 per 500ml. As is expected in a Novotel, the bathroom and toilet were separate rooms, and I still find it disturbing that that there is no hand basin in the separate toilet! The power shower was good (but no bath) - so good in fact that I had to pause mid-shower because the water was not draining away quickly enough - and the products provided were decent, if unmemorable. There is complimentary in-room wifi which is fine for basic email checking, but for anything such as streaming video or working via VPN, it is essential you pay an additional £9 per day for a faster service. There is plenty of choice at the buffet breakfast and the quality is adequate - but not really 4 star. For example, the croissants were clearly 'standard catering fayre', dry, anaemic-looking, non-buttery, and would surely have appalled the French founders of the Accor group. Tomato ketchup at breakfast came in no-brand, cheapo sachets, when bizarrely the same room the night before when in 'restaurant mode' had served Heinz tomato ketchup out of glass pots. We found that the choice diminished the later you took it - there is clearly a policy towards the end of breakfast time of 'when it's gone it's gone'. Dinner at the Novotel restaurant is perfectly acceptable but not great, and not just because the room is totally bland and soul-less. I actually had to send my steak back as its was seriously over-cooked, however this could not have been dealt with better by the waiting staff, with an immediate apology issued and the offending steak taken away and a replacement rustled up as quickly as possible. We were also given complimentary coffees - first class restaurant service, even if the food is lacklustre and over-priced. We had cocktails both nights in the hotel, but these too were very disappointing - surprisingly less expensive than is typical, but also containing fewer spirits than is normal too. Generally we found the hotel staff polite and efficient, but very stiff and formal, not friendly and relaxed at all. The exception to this rule was a Thai lady - Sukinya- who worked behind the bar in the evenings and waited at breakfast too; she was friendliness and professionalism personified throughout our stay. There is a gym (without steam/sauna) but we didn't use it, so can't comment on it. Parking on-site is costs £7 per 24 hours and we had no problem with finding a space. There is no air-conditioning in the bedrooms (although there is in the lobby and restaurant) which would not normally be a problem in the UK. However because the hotel is situated on a very busy road, it is extremely noisy to sleep with the window open. Despite many negative criticisms, I would not be unhappy to stay here again (provided the rate were heavily discounted!), however, given the choice, would definitely seek out a Premier Inn first since the standard is pretty similar and Premier Inns tends to be priced much more realistically for the level of service they offer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CJMANUK
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Ipswich Centre. I would like to inform you that we do provide 512 kbps free WiFi and also 5 times faster WiFi available with premium charge however it is complimentary for the guest who stays at Executive rooms, my understanding is you stayed at one of our Exec.rooms so you could have used that complimentary service as well as complimentary bottle of water and Pay TV. And also just let you know that unfortunately none of the hotels' GYM in Ipswich town centre has steam and sauna!
Our parking is secure, CCTV monitored, convenient however limited space as same as the other hotels in Ipswich Town Centre.
Apologies for not living up to your expectations. Do feel free to call me on 01473 232400 or email me on H0995-GM@accor.com to discuss further.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Serhan ilker
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the Novotel Ipswich. The hotel looks lovely from the outside however there is not sufficient parking for the number of guests staying, and it costs an extra £7 on top of your hotel room price to park overnight if there is a space. The reception and overall feel of the hotel is very modern and well presented, as are the bedrooms. I feel that my room was a bit overpriced however. At £95 for one night for a standard double bedroom, which didn't include WIFI or breakfast, or even parking, i thought this was a bit steep. I was afraid to use any of the things in the bedroom like tea coffee etc as i was worried i'd be charged extra! Other than this though, the hotel was nice and the staff were friendly. Well done.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel Ipswich Centre. I would like to inform you that we do provide Free Wifi now in addition we do provide free web access in our lobby, on our iMac station. Our car park is secure, CCTV monitored, convenient however limited spaces. If you would like to get cheaper rate, i highly recommend you advance booking through www.novotel.com. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our experience wa exactly as you would expect from a Hotel of this calibre.
Staff were freiendly & oblidging, restaurant service and food quality were tops.
Rooms "predictable" Novotel quaity & standard.
Only downside was that on 1 night of our stay we had to find "off site" car parking, it was just across the road, but still an inconvenience and there was a small fee to pay. Might be an idea for the hotel to make arrangements so that guests do not have to pay for parking that they would normally expect to be included in the room rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

very nice room, very clean and tidy, all amenities in room including wi-fi.

all the staff i met were very friendly, and the bar waiter, was excellent, and very attentive to notice my empty glass and refill accordingly. would definitely use this motel again if on business in Ipswich

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. . We look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Ipswich Centre.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Nice room, although it was overlooking a roundabout this didn't seem to matter. Reception staff were all very pleasant and efficient. The fact that there are only a limited number of parking spaces is a disadvantage but when we returned late at night and found all spaces were taken the guy on reception couldn't have been more helpful and managed to find us a corner to squeeze into. We bought breakfast online at time of booking for £8.95 per adult, kids eat free. There was plenty of things to choose from and kept us going till the evening!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Ipswich Centre.
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed staying here, it has a good location, excellent facilities, rooms are well equipped and the food was excellent quality at a very reasonable price. Would recommend this to anyone visiting Ipswich and the staff are very helpful if you have any quaestions

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Ipswich Centre very soon.