“Nice until the dogs came in”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #25 of 442 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: http://www.suffolkcamra.co.uk/pubs/pub/1001 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerfield http://www.wheresbest.co.uk/venue/67992/The-Swan/
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice until the dogs came in”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I had been previously several times and always enjoyed our meals but went last night and my main meal was quite confusing as it stated on the menu chicken breast bound with lots of scrummy things but when it arrived it was chargrilled chicken laying on all the scrummy things plus no new potatoes and to top it all they charged separately for them but rectified the bill when we queried it. The rest of the meal was very good.

The big downside was when not one but two dogs were brought in and one sat near us and it was smelly, very disappointed as don't really want dogs where I eat so will book up in the restuarant next time but I did like sitting in the comfy part of the pub.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Terrible Service, Occasion Ruined!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

We visited The Swan with a family group of 12 to celebrate a golden wedding anniversary. We had a table booked for 7pm but had no service at all until 7.50pm. We had to get our own menus and own drinks. When the orders were eventually taken, the starters arrived after another 30mins. We then sat with a dirty table until nearly 9pm. By this stage, we were now all a little upset with the appalling service, as we had been there over 2 hours and still had not received our main courses. We complained to the manager and meals finally arrived, ( with more staff but very stroppy waitresses). But by this time the children were too tired to eat and food was average at best anyway. One sea bass meal was freezing cold, and the chips with the fish meals were under cooked and still hard - but we didn't have the energy for any more complaints! The manager initially offered a free round of drinks, however we declined and eventually a discount was offered on the final bill - however my mum and dad can never get back the evening of their 50th Wedding Anniversary. What was hard for us all to see, was my mum keeping the tears at bay for most of the meal - knowing what a terrible experience we were having. We will never return!!

2 Thank suff0lkmum
“Very good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

When this was first taken over by the new owners I was not that impressed.
However went again 2 weeks ago and gad the £10 menu.
I was very impressed by the way the food looked when it arrived at the table, and also the quality of the food.
Couldn't complain about anything and will be going back again next month on my monthly outing with friend

1 Thank Maureen B
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Was told about this place by a friend and thought we give it ago, The menu has a good selection and the dessert we espically nice. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather. lovely food and friendly staff. will return again soon

Suffolk
“Slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

This was our third visit here and we have enjoyed it in the past. The decor is fresh and that makes part of an enjoyable experience. We arrived without a booking, having just been to see a movie and not wanting to go home and cook.

I had the fish and chips and my wife had sea bass from the menu on the wall. My fish was quite small and looked like two small fillets joined together, although it is not a cheap meal here. Why are the peas hard dry and tasteless in most restaurants? I started eating my meal and it really didn't taste that good. It wasn't until I was a few mouthfuls in that I realised that the kitchen had salted my chips with a serious amount of sea salt. I don't ever add salt to my food and in our house, our food is prepared without salt as much as possible.

I was shocked that the kitchen would add salt to chips, as I thought that it was a matter of taste. (Obviously excluding McDonalds and Burger King)

I separated the chips from my fish onto a small plate I had and asked the waitress to swap them out for chips without salt. She changed them for me without any hesitation and the new chips were lovely without salt.

Am I missing something here? It worries me now that I have to ask the restaurant not to put salt on my chips in future.

I am not sure about this place after tonight. I think we will go and find some new places to eat in future.

• Visited May 2014