“Deben Inns magic does it again”
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #25 of 448 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://www.suffolkcamra.co.uk/pubs/pub/1001 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerfield http://www.wheresbest.co.uk/venue/67992/The-Swan/
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We, a party of 8, went to the Swan on a busy Saturday night (they were turning people away) and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Being a big fan of the other pubs in the Deben Inn group ie the Maybush at Waldringfield, Butt & Oyster at Pin Mill and a couple more, I had wanted to visit their new venue ever since I heard that they had acquired it. The place has been completely refurbished to a very high standard and was immaculately clean. The service was pretty good with very attentive waitresses although one member of our party did have to wait a long time for her main course which was a shame. The food was good and reasonably priced. Overall very good and worthy of another visit when we are in Ipswich.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friend and I met at the Swan for a bite to eat on Friday 11 October. On arrival a waitress greeted us and took us to our pre-booked table. We ordered our drinks and were told the days specials. We opted for the fish & chips and burger. The staff recommended the burger is best served slightly pink as it was 100% beef. The meals arrived in good time and we both enjoyed our meals, portions were a good size, about right. I had a lemon dessert which was lovely and my friend had the cheese, which consisted of cheddar, brie and stilton served with ample selection of crackers and grapes. To summarise, I could not fault anything, thought the ambience was nice and the new make over was lovely. I must admit I was not sure what to expect after reading the reviews on here but I know quite a few people who persuaded me to go, glad I did. I look forward to returning in the near future.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Having had a dreadful experience during opening week I decided to give The Swan a second chance.

The service was much better and the food was ok.

I'm a big fan of Deben Inns - I often visit The Coach & Horses . The Swan is ok but just not quite up to their usual standard .

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I decided to try this restaurant out as it was on my home and usually I like the Deben Inns pubs.
Sadly this one will not be on my return list I am afraid.
I ordered a pint and asked if they had a table for me, which they did and I was shown to it with a menu and told a waitress would be along to take my order. Well, I had nearly drunk my pint before I managed to attract a waitress to my table to take my order!
My starter arrived which was garlic and chilli prawns, they were very nice with a pleasant chilli kick to them. I had to ask for a spoon so I could get at the sauce, perhaps they should include one with each order? There were 5 quite large prawns which cost, at the time of my visit, £7 which was probably a tad expensive if I'm honest.
For my main course I had Tagine of Meat-balls with Harissa Cous-Cous. This was very tasty but for £12 I would have expected more than 3 meat-balls! It would have been nice to have had more of the sauce with the meat-balls as well. Usually I have no complaints with portion size at a Deben Inns place but The Swan was very disappointing on portion size. One more meat-ball and a lot more sauce and a price of £10 would have been very good. What I had was a rip-off I have to say.
Although when I got home and checked the bill I discovered they had not charged me for my pint, which would have cost about £3.50. So taking that into consideration the starter would have cost me £6.00 and the main course £9.50 which I would have said was about right. But the portion size was still small.
The decor was pleasant but again it could have been a page out of the Farrow & Ball catalogue. Is there just the one company that refurbishes pubs and so they all end up looking the same?

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our table was booked with 2 other friends.We wont bother going again. We ordered our pre dinner drinks, I ordered Brandy & tonic, got no brandy. We asked what soup of the day was, we were told tomato & basil, it arrived after waiting over half an hour and was onion & celery, so was sent back, Ordered another starter to find a hair in it. A burger main also has a hair in it. We complained and were given complimentry coffee, plus 10% off drinks. The bar man came over, we were not impressed with his dress sence, his arms were covered in tatoos and he had short sleeved t shirt on.With the lovely decor of new refurbed restaurant thought a long sleeved shirt would have looked better. Am writing to had office to hear what they have to say. Will never go there again.

2  Thank Suequantum8