“Attentive staff and good food”
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #25 of 456 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://www.suffolkcamra.co.uk/pubs/pub/1001 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerfield http://www.wheresbest.co.uk/venue/67992/The-Swan/
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friend and I met at the Swan for a bite to eat on Friday 11 October. On arrival a waitress greeted us and took us to our pre-booked table. We ordered our drinks and were told the days specials. We opted for the fish & chips and burger. The staff recommended the burger is best served slightly pink as it was 100% beef. The meals arrived in good time and we both enjoyed our meals, portions were a good size, about right. I had a lemon dessert which was lovely and my friend had the cheese, which consisted of cheddar, brie and stilton served with ample selection of crackers and grapes. To summarise, I could not fault anything, thought the ambience was nice and the new make over was lovely. I must admit I was not sure what to expect after reading the reviews on here but I know quite a few people who persuaded me to go, glad I did. I look forward to returning in the near future.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Having had a dreadful experience during opening week I decided to give The Swan a second chance.

The service was much better and the food was ok.

I'm a big fan of Deben Inns - I often visit The Coach & Horses . The Swan is ok but just not quite up to their usual standard .

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I decided to try this restaurant out as it was on my home and usually I like the Deben Inns pubs.
Sadly this one will not be on my return list I am afraid.
I ordered a pint and asked if they had a table for me, which they did and I was shown to it with a menu and told a waitress would be along to take my order. Well, I had nearly drunk my pint before I managed to attract a waitress to my table to take my order!
My starter arrived which was garlic and chilli prawns, they were very nice with a pleasant chilli kick to them. I had to ask for a spoon so I could get at the sauce, perhaps they should include one with each order? There were 5 quite large prawns which cost, at the time of my visit, £7 which was probably a tad expensive if I'm honest.
For my main course I had Tagine of Meat-balls with Harissa Cous-Cous. This was very tasty but for £12 I would have expected more than 3 meat-balls! It would have been nice to have had more of the sauce with the meat-balls as well. Usually I have no complaints with portion size at a Deben Inns place but The Swan was very disappointing on portion size. One more meat-ball and a lot more sauce and a price of £10 would have been very good. What I had was a rip-off I have to say.
Although when I got home and checked the bill I discovered they had not charged me for my pint, which would have cost about £3.50. So taking that into consideration the starter would have cost me £6.00 and the main course £9.50 which I would have said was about right. But the portion size was still small.
The decor was pleasant but again it could have been a page out of the Farrow & Ball catalogue. Is there just the one company that refurbishes pubs and so they all end up looking the same?

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our table was booked with 2 other friends.We wont bother going again. We ordered our pre dinner drinks, I ordered Brandy & tonic, got no brandy. We asked what soup of the day was, we were told tomato & basil, it arrived after waiting over half an hour and was onion & celery, so was sent back, Ordered another starter to find a hair in it. A burger main also has a hair in it. We complained and were given complimentry coffee, plus 10% off drinks. The bar man came over, we were not impressed with his dress sence, his arms were covered in tatoos and he had short sleeved t shirt on.With the lovely decor of new refurbed restaurant thought a long sleeved shirt would have looked better. Am writing to had office to hear what they have to say. Will never go there again.

2  Thank Suequantum8
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I went here last Sunday for a family meal, the newly refurbished pub makes the place look much more modern and bigger inside. Sunday roast was really good and good choice of other mains and desserts on the menu. The only disappointment was the lack of choice on the children's menu as it mainly consists of pasta dishes and not much else. However the pub is very children friendly in terms of offering high chairs etc. The pub was busy at lunchtime so best to book on a Sunday. Good service despite the pub being busy. Its an ideal meeting place on the outskirts of town. Would visit again but I have to say I prefer the Maybush at Walderingfield! (In the same chain of Deben Inns)