“Lacklustre service and very poor portions.”
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #26 of 447 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: http://www.suffolkcamra.co.uk/pubs/pub/1001 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerfield http://www.wheresbest.co.uk/venue/67992/The-Swan/
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I decided to try this restaurant out as it was on my home and usually I like the Deben Inns pubs.
Sadly this one will not be on my return list I am afraid.
I ordered a pint and asked if they had a table for me, which they did and I was shown to it with a menu and told a waitress would be along to take my order. Well, I had nearly drunk my pint before I managed to attract a waitress to my table to take my order!
My starter arrived which was garlic and chilli prawns, they were very nice with a pleasant chilli kick to them. I had to ask for a spoon so I could get at the sauce, perhaps they should include one with each order? There were 5 quite large prawns which cost, at the time of my visit, £7 which was probably a tad expensive if I'm honest.
For my main course I had Tagine of Meat-balls with Harissa Cous-Cous. This was very tasty but for £12 I would have expected more than 3 meat-balls! It would have been nice to have had more of the sauce with the meat-balls as well. Usually I have no complaints with portion size at a Deben Inns place but The Swan was very disappointing on portion size. One more meat-ball and a lot more sauce and a price of £10 would have been very good. What I had was a rip-off I have to say.
Although when I got home and checked the bill I discovered they had not charged me for my pint, which would have cost about £3.50. So taking that into consideration the starter would have cost me £6.00 and the main course £9.50 which I would have said was about right. But the portion size was still small.
The decor was pleasant but again it could have been a page out of the Farrow & Ball catalogue. Is there just the one company that refurbishes pubs and so they all end up looking the same?

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our table was booked with 2 other friends.We wont bother going again. We ordered our pre dinner drinks, I ordered Brandy & tonic, got no brandy. We asked what soup of the day was, we were told tomato & basil, it arrived after waiting over half an hour and was onion & celery, so was sent back, Ordered another starter to find a hair in it. A burger main also has a hair in it. We complained and were given complimentry coffee, plus 10% off drinks. The bar man came over, we were not impressed with his dress sence, his arms were covered in tatoos and he had short sleeved t shirt on.With the lovely decor of new refurbed restaurant thought a long sleeved shirt would have looked better. Am writing to had office to hear what they have to say. Will never go there again.

2  Thank Suequantum8
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I went here last Sunday for a family meal, the newly refurbished pub makes the place look much more modern and bigger inside. Sunday roast was really good and good choice of other mains and desserts on the menu. The only disappointment was the lack of choice on the children's menu as it mainly consists of pasta dishes and not much else. However the pub is very children friendly in terms of offering high chairs etc. The pub was busy at lunchtime so best to book on a Sunday. Good service despite the pub being busy. Its an ideal meeting place on the outskirts of town. Would visit again but I have to say I prefer the Maybush at Walderingfield! (In the same chain of Deben Inns)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I went on the recommendation of my brother and his wife. The staff were friendly and polite. The food was excellent, served in very pleasant surroundings.. Well done to all the staff. Will certainly come again

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband & I recently enjoyed a wonderful evening meal at the newly refurbished Swan following the recommendation of some friends.

We were warmly welcomed as soon as we entered the beautifully decorated premises and enjoyed a glass of wine at the bar having been expertly walked through the wines available by the manager.

Our waitress was friendly, had good knowledge of the menu and gave us recommendations from the specials board. The food arrived promptly, (prawns & fish cakes to start, steak & duck for mains) and was delicious.

We will be returning soon to work our way through the menu!

1  Thank Sarah G