“A fantastic day out”

Baylham House Rare Breeds Farm
Ranked #10 of 114 things to do in Ipswich
More attraction details
Owner description: Baylham House Rare Breeds Farm is in the middle of the beautiful county of Suffolk in Eastern England and is a small livestock farm breeding farm animals that were once common but are now very rare. It's a great time to bring your whole family to the farm to meet the piglets, feed the goats and let the kids loose in the play area whilst you settle into the calm surroundings with a piece of homemade cake or a cream tea.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hello,

my friend and myself visited The Rare Breeds Farm at Baylham, nr Ipswich, Suffolk yesterday. We took three children aged between 1 and 3.

Firstly, I need to comment on the fantastic lunch that we had. We each had a ham roll, when I complimented the staff on the quality of the food they informed me that the bread is baked fresh every day in their farm kitchen. The ham is also "made" on the farm. The ham was fresh, generously cut and generously placed in each roll. All food is all baked fresh every day in their farm kitchen. We did not have space to try one of their cakes but these looks delicious too. My expection when I ordered the lunch was at best a mediocre offering but what I actually received was far far far above my initial expectations. I will certainly go back again to sample more of their food!!!!

We spent a good 4 hours actually looking around the farm. The paths around the animal paddocks, although grass, were easy to push our buggies on and the children ran around freely all day ... and wore themselves out !!! There was a very good selection of animals to see "up close and personal". The children were each given a free bag of food with an explanation of how to feed each different type of animal. There were some small goats and lambs roaming that the children could pat and touch to feel their coats. There were hand washing facilities with warm water (I was expecting cold water!, so lovely to find it warm).

The entry fee was £6.00 each for the adults and the littlies were free. I would grade this as an excellent day out at a very reasonable price. The children loved it and were worn out by the time we left and soon all fast asleep in the car!!! All in all a lovely experience.

1  Thank Liz B

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We paid £6 each for two adults and our 18 month old got in free. We were only there an hour so didnt feel this was value for money. In fairness it was a cold day, but there really wasn't much to do. Most of our time was spent queuing to see the lambs. Some of the walks were closed off as the paths were flooded. We were warned this on entry though. We should have taken a packed lunch in hindsight. The cafe was small and full. As there was no chance of warming up so we headed home. Was nice to see the highland cows, pigs and day old piglets and goat running free. Would be tempted to go again on a warm day , with a picnic when one of the events are on. But based on experience so far I'd rather go to Hollow Trees Farm.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

There are quite a few different animals to see and feed and it covers a pretty large area, so a nice walk on a warm day. It is one of the more expensive farm trails I have been to but with a lot less on offer so not great value for money. Kids had fun none the less. Would probably only suit pre schoolers as not much there for older kids.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've been to Baylem on various occasions throughout the years, they are a small, family run business with a lovely array of animals. You can get close to the kid goats and feed all the animals. Watch out for Pip the escapee kune kune piglet and milking of grace the goat! All the animals are named and have their own histories. I found the farm through their 'farmer for a day' experience which is more hans on and "real" than others I have done. Visit now!

1  Thank Spooface
Reviewed April 30, 2012

A lovely little venue for children, just a few miles out of the town, with touching and feeding of the animals encouraged. Nothing big or frightening or caged-up here, so is an ideal farm for wary youngsters to overcome their reticence

2  Thank Graham175