“Family meal”

Ranked #22 of 495 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Restaurant with stunning Waterfront location serving locally sourced fresh products and fantastic service. Live music in our bar every Sunday from 3pm.
Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

Lovely restaurant, limited menu for picky eaters! Service was fantastic and all food came out at the same time - which for a large party can be difficult!

Date of visit: January 2018
Lianne_Willis, Manager at The Waterfront Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review. The guys do a fantastic job in the kitchen when preparing food for larger groups! Please don't hesitate to talk to us about your 'picky eaters' either, especially if it is a pre ordered meal, we are more than happy to accommodate where we can! We look forward to welcoming you all back soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2017

Around 16 of us went for our office Christmas lunch at the Waterfront just before Christmas!

I'll be brief, the food was lovely, but the service lacking and this had nothing to do with the speed of delivery!

I'm not sure that Ipswich has got any restaurants where the staff are silver service trained, and the Waterfront is no exception! When serving guests there is an etiquette, I do not believe leaning over another diner is in line with this, but this is what occurred during our visit, the result was that the gravy tipped all over one of our party....a half hearted apology was eventually forthcoming but only after we had between us scrambled around to find napkins to dry and remedy and the lady went to the restroom to wash and dry off.....whilst her dinner cooled down.....quite appalling!

The next issue related to the pudding, as I said earlier lovely food but the pecan pie was accompanied with less than a desert spoon of sauce/custard....I did ask whether it was possible for us to have a little more, well the Christmas spirit was woefully lacking but I cannot complain about the transparency of the answer I received, just one word.....'No!'....it was crystal clear and obvious they didn't care about our custom, well, we were only parting with the best part of a thousand pounds for our lunch!

'Greg' who I believe is the proprietor was floating around during our time at his restaurant; clearly oblivious to the experience of some of his customers....not what I expect from front of house....but hopefully will (if he cares) realise who pays for this restaurant to stay in business and address the situation.

As I alluded to earlier, there isn't much competition when it comes to silver service in Ipswich but I do know in London this restaurant would struggle to survive unless the owner and staff upped their game and realised that being just 20% cheaper than a comparative price in London, would not attract custom when the customer experience is 75% short of where it should be!

1  Thank Adrian C

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your thoughts but we have never claimed to be a restaurant that does silver service, we aim to provide a more personable experience. My colleague tried to give you that personable touch but was told by someone at your table to just 'leave it and we'll sort it out' when trying to serve drinks and allocate cutlery etc. The gravy spilling was indeed an unfortunate incident, and we are particularly sorry that this happened to the one lady at your table who was trying to help us by pointing to where the food we were serving was going!
I am perplexed regarding the creme anglaise incident as we would have been more than happy to get you some more as we had done for other groups, I can only assume that we misheard what you said or you us. As previous reviewers have mentioned, it can get very loud with a full restaurant, especially with large groups.
In regards to Greg, it is my responsibility to ensure that everyone is OK during their visit with us and he trusts me to do so, so it is me that let you down that day and for that I am sincerely sorry, I should've acted quicker and dealt with the situation myself.

Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

The food was ok but the service was very slow I have had better experiences before and there was a lot of us so forgiven on this occasion

Date of visit: December 2017

I'm sorry you had slow service on this occassion, I am currently working with my team to devise ways that we can give better and more fluid customer service so I do hope next time you do not have the same problem. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2017 via mobile

Can thoroughly recommend The Waterfront which lives up to its reputation as a superb eatery and one of the best in the area. I took a leap into the dark resisting the Sunday roast and going for the vegetable terrine which was delicious. The Sauvignon was expensive at £9 per glass but the Prosecco was good value at £6 per glass.
Great service and perfect ambiance though parking was a longish walk away. Wouldn’t hesitate to book again.

Date of visit: December 2017

That's lovely to hear, thank you. Well done you for resisting the roast! We very much look forward to seeing you back to try out some of our new dishes too.

Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

From the moment we walked in the staff were polite friendly and, without a booking, pleaded to see us. Lovely menu with good choices, value for money, great service. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: November 2017

Thank you for such kind words, our team are very happy where they work and I'm glad it shows in both their service and their food. Can't wait to have you back.