“Great Theatre”

New Wolsey Theatre
Ranked #1 of 115 things to do in Ipswich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The New Wolsey Theatre official Trip Advisor page. A 400 seat venue in the heart of the county town of Suffolk. Come and visit us soon!We're more than happy for you to use this page to feedback about productions you've seen here but please also take the time to let us know about your overall experience. We can only improve with your honest and balanced opinions.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Try and go several times a year as this theatre is such a great asset to the town. Most recent production was 'And Then The Dark' which we thought was very good despite the so so reviews. Stayed for the after show discussion which was very interesting. All seats in this theatre offer a great view and prices are reasonable especially when you can get £10 tickets for many productions. Would be great if they could stage more music concerts, comedians etc. as well as the plays.

Visited February 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

NewWolsey, Manager at New Wolsey Theatre, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and I'm so pleased you got to enjoy one of our post-show Q & A sessions which happens most Thursdays.

The mix of shows is very important to us but often we have to consider the size of stage and number of tickets we can sell to ensure we cover the costs of promoting a production. I will ensure our Programme Manager receives your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

A lifesaver of this town! I'm not sure what I would do without it! Some excellent productions and great prices, especially for students and young people!

Visited January 2013
Wow! That's very kind to be called a lifesaver! We love being here and so pleased you've recognised our competitive pricing too. Next season we plan to make all our Under 26 tickets just £5!
Newmarket, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A brilliant experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've been here twice now from this review and for both times I've experienced excellent service and a major passion from all the staff.

From the outside the theatre appears very professional and welcoming, with automated front doors accessibility is of ease. The building is large and very spacious, it enables comfort for many visitors by the use of the downstairs and upstairs bar which are fitted with many chairs and tables. The staff are very friendly, welcoming and are quick to meet your needs.

The theatre provides many toilets for whether you're on the upstairs or downstairs floor. Additionally there are multiple entrances to the auditorium depending on where you are sitting.

Recently I went to see Kerry Ellis at The New Wolsey theatre who was absolutely magnificent. Lighting was excellent, sound was spot on. I was sitting in the premium seats of row g in the middle. These seats were of an optimal and comfortable view but of course seating is according to your available budget.

Additionally I would like to mention that it was made possible to change seats over the telephone and even add an extra person on, I had a very quick and responsible telephone conversation with the theatre.

I would recommend using the online booking form, this is smart and effective and very quick to book your seats. With the interactive seat map, you can see according to premium seat availability as well as other seats. You can pay on the internet as well just to make things quick and yes this is safe.

I would attend this theatre again and I plan for this very soon. I very much recommend this theatre based on the friendliness of staff, the wonderful sized stage and auditorium and additional the size and spaciousness of the whole building.

Visited March 2013
Thank you for leaving such a considered review of the New Wolsey, we very much appreciate your comments and I will ensure all the relevant teams get to see your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
East Anglia,England
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Modern local Theatre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Good seats ,easy to see everything on the stage as there are no obstructions, friendly staff, good reasonable food,and drinks.

Visited February 2013
Thank you for your review. It's surprising that, despite the great view from all seats some people still have their favourite seat numbers! See you again soon.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went to see a show, which was lovely. The ushers go out of their way to help, and the food in the cafe is good too.

Visited March 2013
Thank you for your review. Our wonderful Volunteer Usher team are so important to making sure our visitor experience is excellent and we very much appreciate your feedback. I hope to see you here again soon.