“"Highly recommended"”

Fynn Valley Golf Club
Ranked #155 of 443 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With meals served either in the cosy Courtyard Bar, The Terrace overlooking the golf course or utilising the entire spacious Valley Room on busier occasions, Fynn Valley enjoys an excellent reputation for the food prepared on site by our team. Smaller parties can enjoy exclusive private use of our Courtyard Suite. Enjoy a Bar Meal in the Courtyard Bar with specials from the board seven days a week. Sunday lunches in The Terrace are roasted on the day and use local produce, served to your table, accompanied by crisp white linen and wonderful views.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Highly recommended"”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Recently went to a wedding reception at Fynn Valley, where we had an excellent time. Great food, warm and friendly atmosphere, lovely surroundings. Even though we were only guests and not family we had a wonderful time. The atmopshere at Fynn Valley is second to none, the staff are friendly and the disco was really entertaining with all the guests, young and old, up dancing. The DJ kept us all entertained!!. So impressed we have even booked the venue ourselves!!!

Highly recommended as a venue and restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
jennymeadow, Manager at Fynn Valley Golf Club, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear LAIpswich

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of a wedding at Fynn Valley. The fact you have booked our venue for yourselves is high praise indeed! We very much look forward to making your day special.

Kind regards

Jenny Holmes

“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very cold resturant! Food was nothing special and although not expensive will not be returning. Disappointed. I thought the chef had got quite far in Masterchef? Mmmm from our experience think it must have been his day off!
Don't serve cold chocolate pecan pie with mint ice cream (I dread to think what the other stuff was!!) yuck!!!

1 Thank Jscl64
Dear Jscl64

Thank you for your review of our restaurant. I am sorry that the room was a bit cold. The unexpected cold spell did catch us a bit unaware, and as I am sure you will appreciate the restaurant is a big space which does take a long time to heat up.

It would appear that a more junior member of the kitchen staff mistook butterscotch ice cream for mint, for which I apologise. Had you flagged this up with a member of the waiting staff at the time this could have easily been resolved.

I do invite you back to Fynn Valley and I am sure that you will find the experience a warm one - without the mint ice cream!

Kind regards

Jenny Holmes
uk
“Was it Chef's Night Off”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Friends, with my husband and I, have enjoyed several superb meals and excellent servce at The Arboretum Public House in Ipswich. One of the most memorable was a beautifully presented belly pork. Moist meat served with a thin strip of crispy crackling which melted in the mouth. The meal was 'to die for'. As a post Christmas celebration we booked a meal at 'The Arboretum at Fynn Valley'. Oh dear.

AMBIENCE
Our first impressions of the restaurant was that of a large, brightly lit sports and social club with nice curtains. There was an area of comfy leather sofas, which would be ideal for having a pre-dinner drink while looking at the menu, no such luck.
SERVICE
On arrival we were shown straight to our table. Before we had a chance to take off our coats and hang them on the back of our chairs or sit down, (in fact I was still walking to the table), we were asked what we would like to drink.I ordered a large bottle of mineral water which was just plonked in front of me with no glasses, so I used my wine glass.
For my first course I ordered mussels cooked in cider and bacon. I was brought a small bowl for the shells but no finger bowl or spoon for the liquor. My friend ordered soup which came with a soup spoon. In between courses she was leaning with her elbows on the table chatting. The waitress leant across her and took the unused knife and fork forcing my friend to lean back in her chair. It is not nice having someones armpit in your face. The cutlery should have been removed when we first ordered and replaced with the appropriate cutlery. The way this was done was just plain rude.
Prior to going to this resturant I telephoned to book a table and inform them that I had a four for three voucher. I was told that she had made a note beside our booking and 'would let the guys know'.
When we came to pay the bill we gave the waitress the voucher, she made no secret of her displeasure and told us off for not presenting it when we first arrived, now she would have to do the whole thing again. As there was only one other occupied table in the restaurant, and they had already been served with their desserts, it wasn't as though she didn't have time. although she did have enough time to make us feel uncomfortable.
FOOD
I used my dessert spoon to enjoy the mussel liquor but after two crunchy spoonfuls I had to give up, the sauce was full of bits of mussel shells.
One of our friends ordered the terrine, it would have beeen so much better if this had been served with toast as it should have been rather than on its own.
I was pleased to see pork belly for main course and on my recommendation one of my friends ordered it too. What we were served was nothing like I had before at the Arboretum pub or anywhere else for that matter. In the middle of the dish was a thick slice of fat with a tiny piece of dry pork in the middle. The thin strip of 'crackling' decoration was soft and chewy and should not have been served. The broccoli was past its best as half of it was yellow. All the vegtables were overcooked. We all felt the same and nobody enjoyed their main meal.
PRICE
For the food we received, and the service, it was grossly overpriced. I could have mentioned these things during the evening, but I would have spent my entire time asking,
Is there somewhere we can hang our coats?
Can we have our pre-dinner drinks sitting on the sofas while we look at the menu?
Could I have some glasses for the water?
Could I have finger bowl?
Could I have a spoon?
Sorry I used my dessert spoon for my first course, may I have another?
I've got a voucher but I have already phoned beforehand.
I would have spent the whole evening talking to the waitress rather than my friends.
Obviously we will not be dining there again and sadly doubts have now been cast about going back to the pub.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank vinolia
Felixstowe
“Christmas Do”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Had our Christmas do here and even though they were serving a large number of people over a short period of time the quality, and quantity, of the food was excellent.