“I will never go back”

Spoon World Buffet & Bar
Ranked #13 of 53 Quick Bites in Ipswich
Description: Self service multi-cuisine buffet restaurant. Wheelchair accessible and child friendly. Live grill cooking station and pancakes as well.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went here yesterday for lunch, as soon as I walked in a member of staff asked me if I would like a bigger seat before I sit down... I was absolutely mortified. I'm only a size 14 and there were bigger women coming in that didnt get asked. I was instantly embarrassed and was on the brink of tears. We arrived at 1.30 and 4 different times staff came up to us to remind us the buffet closes at 2.30 which we already knew as we looked at the website and phoned before we went. I felt like they were rushing us.
Towards the 2pm mark most of the trays were just sauce and no meat (sweet and sour chicken, black pepper beef etc).. as soon as it got to 2.30 all of the staff ran over to the buffet to eat the leftovers and all sat on the other side of the restaurant chatting away and laughing loudly. They also turned off the fan and the music so we felt very uncomfortable. On the phone they said the buffet closes at 2.30 but they close the restaurant at 3 so we assumed we would still have half an hour to get another drink (we paid for free refills glasses and only got one drink as when we went back to the bar there were no staff there what to ever.. they were all at the buffet and eating on the other side of the restaurant). We were recommended by a friend but felt thoroughly disappointed.

4  Thank Littlelegs0089
Write a reviewReviews (197)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband I went here last week in the evening and this was our first visit. I found the fact that you had to pay and hand over a ticket a bit of a faff if I am honest, and then get directed to another part of the bar area to pay for drinks. The second visit was today at lunchtime and once we knew the entrance procedure it was less of a faff. The staff are busy and very efficient. The food for the money is excellent and the restaurant is clean. Both times we went we were seated in the area near the drinks machine where people kept staring at us. My husband now says the area where we were seated was the fat b*st*rds area. I think I might have to agree with him as he is 27 stone wet through. In the evening I felt a bit rushed but the lunchtime sitting is more relaxed. To be honest apart from the entrance procedure the place is brilliant, I love eating foods from around the world and this is a great way of finding some you have never tried. and who ever said pizza and Chinese is awesome was so right lol. This is well worth a visit but bare in mind the buy one get one free offer on their flyer which really makes this well worth the money and a visit. The only down side to this restaurant which is nothing to do with spoons but our local council is the parking. We parked next to the theatre and have to pay a lot of money to do so. but like I said this is nothing to do with spoons.

1  Thank M5162DCmelanieb
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our 2nd visit to Spoon having visited in may and again in sep. I have no complaints as it offers what I would expect from a reasonably priced buffet style restraunt. The environment is clean and there is a good variety of different foods offered, particularly in the evening. The food is enjoyable, not amazing, but perfectly fine. Can be loud and busy during peak hours with birthday parties and larger families. We went on a friday at 6:30pm. Advised to pre book your table and avoid peak dining hours if you want a more peaceful experience. Children loved it especially the deserts. Decent dining experience in a good location.

1  Thank reveiwcentral
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Took three kids with me, all twelve but tall and was charged adult prices as they deem anyone taller than 150cm an adult!
pathetic company policy...so after paying full price for the children, who ate very little (as usual) I felt ripped off. I spoke with the shop Manager and she was not interested one bit. Didn’t care...she said leave a review on online... So here it is. Can’t fault the food but the policy for children pricing is just plain wrong. Avoid if your kids are taller than 150cm (they measure their height at the entrance) unless you want to pay full price for them.

2  Thank B16BOK
SpoonWorldBuffet, Guest Relations Manager at Spoon World Buffet & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, thank you for your feedback. We do not have a Child Pricing Policy. We have Full Price and Half Price Buffet. If the child is below 1.5m in height, then you will be charged as a full price meal. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Thank you for enjoying the food and hope to see you back again. Kind regards.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was in Ipswich and fancied a Chinese lunch, a couple of people suggested Spoon. Do you recommend it? Never been there, so it being central we went as guinea pigs. We arrived at 2.00, the kitchen closes at 2.30, ok we will be quick. It is a buffet, eat what you like. Pay on entry and tuck in. In the evenings I guess more of the buffet area is open, but at lunch time only half. There was Chinese section - by far the largest. There was pizza and pasta, there was Indian curry. There was a 'sushi' section, salad bar and desserts. I may have missed something. We helped ourselves to a plate of assorted Chinese starters, small spring rolls, some triangular stuffed bites, sesame prawns on toast. It was 2.00, and everything was dry, I assume it had been there since it opened. Not good. Staying with Chinese, my mother had some noodles, 'these are nice'. I had fried rice - dry. The chicken dishes were poor, ribs not worth eating, sweet and sour chicken was described as 'nice'. The stewed meat and the vegetables were the best part of the meal, but generally 2 out of 10. The pizza slices were dried out and curling at the edges. There was pasta, in a tomato sauce? I tried the Indian section, the rice was ok, again had been sitting for a while. The Chana Dal was edible, but with a strange flavour in the background that I didn't recognise. The chicken dhansak was just plain nasty! Mothers and desserts! We tried 4 or 5. Custard, blancmange, cakey, all very sweet but well presented. If you want to try it at lunchtime, don't leave it too late, although I don't know whether it would be any better. I considered going again in the middle of the evening when it would be busy, and maybe fresher, but then...I decided no! I went to the toilet on the way out - it is one room with several cubicles, no separate ladies / gents. The toilets were not unclean, but quite untidy, papers on the floor etc. Go there if you want to eat lots, and you don't care too much about quality.

2  Thank GoodoldFred