“Warm, friendly environment. But don't eat there.”
Review of The Arbor House

The Arbor House
Ranked #92 of 439 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located a stone's throw from the Town Center we are most welcoming of locals, tourists, students and dogs with well behaved owners.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Warm, friendly environment. But don't eat there.”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I guess I only have myself to blame, but I saw the online menu and booked expecting a la carte dining. What I failed to appreciate was the change of management a few months ago. Fine dining it is not (chicken was too hard to eat). That said, the staff were very friendly and accommodating and the music (on a Saturday night) was good.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Adrian S

“New owners put on a great night :)”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Visited twice now new owners have taken over, with a great, friendly, welcoming environment! Opening night was packed out with people sitting inside, in the beer garden and even the upstairs area. No food to supply yet but apparently will be ready in a couple of weeks. Would recommend friends and family to visit this place :)

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Jokakaharris
London, United Kingdom
“Quality Food, Comfortable Surroundings & Friendly Service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This isn't the first time I have eaten in this slightly quirky restaurant / bar. After the first time I told a friend that, given a slightly larger income, I'd like to eat there every night. Yes, I love it but can only visit occasionally. The menu is intentionally limited to ensure the greatest quality of freshly cook dishes. This time I was there with friends from Singapore and Hong Kong and we shared main courses and deserts. They agreed with me that it was a lovely meal and they enjoyed the surroundings. When in Ipswich do visit, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Colchester
“Dirty dirty dirty”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have eaten here several times in the last couple of years. Iit used to be good but our visit this week has left us not wanting to go there again. It has turned into a shabby pub which also serves food and attracting some pretty unpleasant people. Service too is now poor with untrained staff who don't seem to have a clue. Management needs to get a grip although for us it's too late. On arrival at 7.15pm the restaurant was empty apart from a couple of rough characters, feet up on the seats drinking pints. The "garden" at the back was filled with fag smoking drinkers. We sat down at our (reserved) table --it was filthy, stains, food, sticky rings from glasses, The waitress was asked (she didn't seem to notice or care) to wipe it which she did with a bad tempered flourish--leaving half of the table still dirty. We had to ask her to do it again!!! (by the way--when was it ever acceptable for waiting staff to be dressed wearing only a bra and jeans? She looked more like a streetwalker than a waitress. Management: Don't you know/care what your staff look like?). We ordered drinks and whilst waiting I popped to the gents, my wife to the ladies, Lavatory dirty and smelly. No soap so I asked the waitress for some. What did she do? She knocked on the door of the Ladies loo and asked my wife if she could borrow the soap for the Gents! She then decided to check in the kitchen for soap, re-emerging to say that the chef didn't have any either! At which point, another customer (and clearly a friend of said waitress) emerges from the "garden" to tell me (sensitive readers now look away) to use my [--] to wash my hands. At this point, I decided enough was enough. Chef emerges from kitchen, I relay account to him and leave. Never again to return. Settled for fish supper at Loch Fyne down on the Docks which beat the Arboretum hands down.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank LordMuck
“Casual pub with excellent food”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We visited on a Monday night after hearing good reviews about the food at this establishment.

My first encounter with the place was very positive. I rung to enquire what time they began serving food as we were planning on eating before visiting the theatre, to which I was told half 6. I booked a table for half 6, however after conferring with the rest of my group we realised this would not give us enough time. I rung The Arboretum back to explain and cancel my booking & was informed that they would get the chef in early to accommodate us at 6 o'clock. BRILLIANT!

When we arrived, immediately we felt over dressed however we were dress to attend the theatre also. It is a very no frills, renovated pub which I thought was a positive for it's location. The bar tender was very polite, knowledgeable but casual however this fitted the surroundings.

The food was fab, well presented, tasty, plenty of it & something a little different.
The chocolate fondant was gorgeous!

Overall, it was a very nice experience, even though we were a little pushed for time. I would definitely return for a casual meal!

• Visited April 2013