“Sixties weekend”

Ranked #55 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
cheshire
“Sixties weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

Just returned from a very enjoyable weekend at the New Loretta Hotel. Room was clean, warm and confortable. Food was hot, tasty and good. Staff were helpful and friendly. All in all good value for the money.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank stephencheshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
telford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

Nov 20 2008
We have just been on a weekend 60's themed break at this hotel and had a great time.The hotel is comfortable,food was very nice and staff generally very pleasant.Entertainment was provided both night's and was enjoyed by all.We met some nice people on the weekend who all said they would do a similar break again,excellent value.

• Liked — The rice pudding on Friday evening was to die for
  • Disliked — Parking could be a problem at busy times
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrmoseby
Yorkshire England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2008

having reads previous reviews we were a bit tentative about going,but I*m glad we did. we had a lovely time. Found the staff very friendly. Food more than adequate.Entertainment first class. Being quite a fussy person I do not say these things lightly. My husband who has had a stroke is not the best of eaters, but I must say he ate every morsel. As in previous reviews I have to say the houekeeping could have been better, but ,as we dont spend most of our time in the hotel I can get over that. There was 4 of us and we all agreed that we would go back. I would say to the owner if hes reading this have a word with your cleaners.Other than that agood holiday.

• Liked — The food.The friendliness and the entertainment
  • Disliked — The housekeeping needs looking into
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ronpete
Bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2008

One of the worst hotels we have stayed in. The room cleaning was extremely poor, almost non-existent; bits of debris on the carpet and in the bathroom on day one and there when we left. Poor bed-making; covers just thrown over, bottom sheets never straightened. Some of the tea/coffee making equipment was very dirty. We complained about noise from the room above and were told it was not a guest room; this was later denied; our complaint was not logged. We were not seated in the dining room as promised, but with another tour party. Being a few minutes late for dinner was punished by omission of the first course. A letter of complaint was responded to with a rude officious reply. Do not stay here!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

on arrival we were greeted by the owner,who welcomed us with tea or coffee.staff available to take cases to rooms,lift to all floors.we were given room 118 but found this smelling of damp,wallpaper peeling off walls,no nets at windows,shower at window, like being in goldfish bowl.no hairdryer,no shower curtain.reported to reception promptly told them i was not happy with the room was told she would see what was available after other 2 coaches arrived.we arrived at hotel at 2.30pm had dinner at 6.00pm,after dinner6.45pm was given room 216 which was so much better.i think it could have been sorted quicker. meals were mostly boil in the bag meat, plenty of veg,nice puddings,service was excellent .(hate long life milk).bar staff excellent,prices not bad.entertainment,male singers mon.tues,not bad,wed brilliant ,thurs awful.1st visit to wales would definitly go back, loved llandudno. new lorreta needs some improvements but for the price it was ok'

• Liked — friendly,excelent servise
  • Disliked — room 118and longlife milk
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank nannacarer
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

One often wonders about some of the reviews, so it is good to be able to fully confirm one.
My wife and I were staying at the same time as the previous reviewer, we can tell that from the fact that the Tuesday night entertainer was taken ill - unless it happens every week (his wife did keep checking her watch as if they needed to be somewhere).

Great review, what I will add is that we (on a coach from South Yorkshire) were delayed two hours and arrived just after 4pm. We were denied access to our much needed rooms until 4.30pm. We were presented with the weakest tea ever experienced and, reluctantly, a few people were granted coffee. We got the same speech from the elderly manager who we thought was rather rude, but the only time we ever saw him again was outside smoking. We assume that the lady reluctantly pouring the tea was his wife (?), what a charming couple. She was on reception most of the time. Our only dealings with her were when we tried our TV and found we only had BBC1 & 2. I asked for something to be done about it, she said "the people last week complained as well". I asked if I could borrow the remote control and was told it was lost. I said I would be grateful if they could do something, maybe swap the TV ?. She turned her back to me, picked up an umbrella, and went outside and stood smoking ! Later my wife tried and was told that they were not going to do anything about it. So no Corrie or Emmerdale for the week.
BUT - absolutely beautiful room (yes we had the tea bags and sugar down the back of the dresser). Lovely meals. Waitresses were pleasant enough. Three coach parties in one hotel was far too much for the staff to cope with though. Felt sorry for some having really late meals. Fresh management would improve the hotel tremendously. Won't be going back.

• Liked — Room & food
  • Disliked — Management/reception
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank kjleisue
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

My personal, overall opinion is that the hotel was adequate in most aspects for the money paid and the star rating it has achieved. It's not a five star hotel and this is reflected in the cleanliness, decor and level of service received.

Our access to the hotel was not permitted until after 3.30.

There was a welcome speech where we were told our meal times were 8.45 for breakfast and 7pm for evening meal.

Our table service started out fast and efficient but toward the end of our stay our waitress appeared to be moved to another room which left us with 'anyone passing' to look after us, since they already had their tables to serve I felt we were then, a little neglected.

I did feel there was a bit of an atmosphere in the dining room especially when one guest dared sit at the wrong table! Eyes were seen lifted to the ceiling on more than one occasion that I noticed, each time from the same hotel person.

I did also observe a 'clocking in' machine arrive at reception so I wonder if team moral was not at it's best?

There was a DISTINCT LACK OF SMILING from the reception and bar staff, although I will say there was no problem getting served at the bar and they used their manners hopefully all the guests did too! But not once did I get a smile from certain ones and I did have face to face contact with them on several occasions, I smiled, they didn't, you get to feeling foolish after several attempts to get a pleasant reaction from folk.

Only two of the table waiting on staff actually spoke/smiled other than the lines from the menus. I understand there may be a language difficulty but a smile goes a long way in any language.

The entertainment, lets just say it got bearable the more I drank - except for the singer on the Thursday night. Sorry but for him, from me, there was no redemption - happen that's a good night to go visit the local pubs or have an early night?

Monday and Wednesday presented the same entertainer who did his act again but in a different order... don't think we didn't notice!!!!

The Tuesday night entertainer was taken ill part way through his act so I wouldn't dream of passing judgement on him - hope he is fully recovered and feeling better now.

Any rooms near/above the front entrance of the hotel will have to cope with the noise from the smokers from very early morning to late evening along with the smell of smoke drifting in the window.

The shower/toilet/sink room was ok and there was plenty of hot water. All facilities in the room worked, kettle, TV, hairdryer and telephone. The dressing table had several coffee, tea and sugar packs located down the back of it! And there was a very thick coating of dust on the telephone - but the bedside cabinet it was on had been cleaned.

The headboard on one bed was broken but was remedied with a spare pillow stuffed down the back of it to stop it banging the wall with every movement. 7 drawers and a built in cupboard/wardrobe were adequate for the two single bed occupancy.

The food was also adequate and plentiful although alternative breakfasts were not openly offered they had to be requested, something we found out we could do after seeing another table receive a different breakfast from us. Why no printed breakfast menu instead of the wine list that was present? There was generally a fair choice of meals.

The hotel was very hot, but I guess that's what a conservatory produces - heat!

The majority of guests were older and I heard both compliments and complaints regarding the hotel and the staff and meal times. Staff not smiling being the most commented on.

I guess acceptability of room/hotel cleanliness is open to personal opinion and perceived acceptable standards in relation to monies paid. Had it been billed as a 5 star hotel I'd have walked out. Top and bottom - you get what you pay for but a smile can make all the difference!

Footnote:
If the hotel had as much pride in their attention to customers and rooms as they obviously do in the lift (spotless once the protective padding was removed to prevent damage from suitcases - is it new and thus so well looked after?) then it could be an excellent hotel not just an ok hotel.

• Liked — The lift was fantastic!
  • Disliked — The staff being so solemn.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family