“grumps”

Ranked #8 of 209 Restaurants in Llandudno
Cuisines: African, Steakhouse, Healthy, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cambridge Mostyn's menu has proven a hit with visitors to the region. It is a treasure trove of unexpected specialities (monkey gland sauce anyone?). Diners can enjoy classic Welsh staples like St David's chicken (wrapped in bacon with a cream leek and mustard sauce), or embark on one of the 'great meal adventures' and sample exotic meats and game in dishes like the juicy ostrich fillet steak, tender kangaroo rogan josh, or succulent llama chipotle chilli burgers. An extensive wine list is also available at Cambridge Mostyn restaurant in Llandudno, to go along with its delectable range of ice creams and liqueurs. The eclectic selection of food and drink is matched only by the diverse decor, which features influences from the savannah to the valleys. Offering cuisines both local and exotic on the Welsh coast, Cambridge Mostyn is just an 8-minute walk from Llandudno Rail Station. Bookings are not accepted from TripAdvisor, an unaccountable and secretive American business who has threatened to remove our business from the top ten restaurants in Llandudno based on a false, subjective and arbitrary allegation made to us as a consequence of our public criticisms of TripAdvisor on our website. If you want top book a table, please use another reputable UK based business such as Opentable or book directly on our website. We apologise for the inconvenience - but we will not be bullied and threatened by this American marketing company.
Stafford, United Kingdom
“grumps”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a very enjoyable evening meal with wide choice of 'traditional' and South African food available. Our generous portions were well cooked and presented. Very reasonably priced food and drinks with owners who very much care for their business. The decor and furnishings are very tidy with nice touches, Check out the various Trip Advisor reports; I can honestly say that those who have been less than generous with their comments can be consigned to the bin
Go and enjoy.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank bun5274
Webpaddy, Owner at The Cambridge Mostyn Restaurant, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you so much for your extremely kind review, we do care about our business, passionately and our aim is to make everyone's visit worthwhile. We just love down to earth folks such as your good selves. Salt of the earth ! Please visit Llandudno more often !

Garstang, England
“T Bone Steak”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have just had a lovely meal with my family at the Cambridge Mostyn Restaurant. My son had chicken nuggets made from fresh chicken breast, voted better than McDonalds by him!! Wow! My wife had salmon. Delicious with lovely new potatoes and fresh salad. I had T Bone steak. Having eaten steak across the world and being very very fussy, I have to say the best cooked steak I have had in a long long time. Topped with my family enjoying their meals, the atmosphere, lovely staff and a chef that bothered to come out of the kitchen to not just ask how your meal was, but also, have a conversation with you, give this place a go, you will love it.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jt1553
Webpaddy, Owner at The Cambridge Mostyn Restaurant, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thanks for your fantastic feedback on your T-Bone steak. I am so glad that a customer who is clearly an experienced diner, and one that appreciates the value and quality of food - has taken the time to provide a sincere and worthwhile review. I am also hugely relieved that the decor didnt offend you as it did the previous day tripper who anonymously complained as a Diane P from Liverpool - who complained about her husbands Yuck T-Bone, (after he cleaned the plate). As you saw, our carpets were freshly cleaned and no plastic tablecloths were used.

We really enjoyed meeting your family and perhaps the greatest review of all time was ventured by your son, who identified that the bites were real chicken fillet pieces and not processed. I am impressed with his attitude to good food ( I suspect the parents have achieved this) and his really good manners.

We hope you had a safe journey back home - and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. The Welsh 16 Oz T-Bones will be waiting for you !
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Just been here today, decor old fashioned walkway to toilets disgusting. Highchairs dirty and the food was terrible . £20 for t bone steak and eat off plastic table cloth . Supermarket bread and cheap side salad. Yuck not recommended at all.

5 Thank diana p
Webpaddy, Owner at The Cambridge Mostyn Restaurant, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
You are welcome to inspect our carpets, they are beautifully clean, and you will be hard pressed to find plastic tableware anywhere in our restaurant.

Knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing perhaps? Our coveted T-Bones have been reviewed by countless other customers as being unbeatable value for money and delicious aged Welsh 16 OUNCE Steaks.

You visited us in the afternoon, the tables were not set up for the evening with cloth napkins. If the decor offended you so, you should have walked on by. My first reply included an apology for our decor offending you so which was complained about as offensive. So it was withdrawn, and so too the apology.

For the record, you were asked twice during your meal if everything was to your satisfaction, and you said if was. Might I suggest you tell people if you are not pleased, so they might rectify your issue. Seeing as you have chosen to have a pop at us after the event, remember that we treated you with unquestionable courtesy and hospitality in spite of your awkwardness and in spite of the state you left the table in.

We take all customer views seriously, however as your partner who had the T-Bone cleaned his plate, as you and your child did too, I am more than happy to make an exception in your case.

I would say thank you in Welsh for your feedback, as I did in my initial response, however the complaint made to tripAdvisor was made regarding this so I won't bother.
Llandudno, Wales, United Kingdom
“a friendly treat”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were treated to dinner by our friends a little while ago, however the evening has stayed in my memory for numerous reasons, the company we were in, the food was really good,i had bobotie which i had never tried before and loved it, my friend cannot eat very much but she was well and truly catered for in every way she requested.We all enjoyed our dinner and the friendly attentive service. We shall continue to recommend.Well done all.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Carol-lynn R
Webpaddy, Owner at The Cambridge Mostyn Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thanks for the review Carol-Lyn, it was a real pleasure having you and your partner dine with us. Don't forget as a local we are open from noon daily and have a range of delicious snacks, light bites Illy Coffees and Welsh teas on offer up to 6pm! The staff and I are pleased to bits you took the time to vote for us! Hope to see you soon !
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely marvellous ”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner went for a day out in Llandudno . We decided to get some lunch little did we know we were In store for such a treat. Extremely friendly atmosphere at the Cambridge mostyn the staff were absolutely brilliant . I also loved the fact there was a little bit of something different on the menu . I tried a south African dish called bobotie it was absolutely delicious. My partner is a vegetarian and was very impressed on the number of choices available. I would highly recommend any body visiting or even local to five this little gem of a restaurant a go .next time im in Llandudno I will definitely be going back .Thank you for a lovely meal top class

1 Thank Owen P
Thank you for taking the time to review us, I am really pleased your partner liked our vegetarian selection - we feel that offering dietary requirements such as vegetarian, gluten free, vegan and others is really important. Babotie is our signature dish and I hope you enjoyed it ! Look forward to having you visit again soon !