“Sure to return”
Review of Watkins Restaurant

Watkins Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 208 Restaurants in Llandudno
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Watkins Co restaurant in Llandudno is an equation that comes out right every time. Take an award-winning restaurant, set it in one of Llandudno���s top hotels, create an historic Victorian dining stuffed with formal elegance, add in an inventive chef with a dab hand at classic favourites and it���s elementary -- Watkins is a hit. Half the menu is seasonal, locally-sourced a la carte deliciousness, while the other half is a daily-changing table d���hote menu offering excellent value. People love the home-made lasagne and the daily roast, but we recommend the more inventive creations, too. Watkins Co���s service, impressive children���s menu and a pocket-friendly wine list get top marks.
Llandudno, Wales, United Kingdom
“Sure to return”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Booked this restaurant as part of our 5th wedding anniversary celebrations and can only say that it was a lovely experience in every way .Excellent service, atmosphere, food and certainly value for money. Would highly recommend a visit and will certainly pay another visit soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
ILKESTON
“Watkins and Co. at the Empire Hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Love this place and very comfortable surroundings. The food and drinks have a good range of different things for you. Very pleasant staff to serve you here.

Visited August 2012
Bedfordshire
“Poolside restaurant”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a very enjoyable family meal here last week all trying different starters main courses and deserts so we could compare quality. All were very enjoyable and the service was efficient and friendly. The set menu was exceptionally good value, particularly as it included wine which was surprisingly good. On the basis of a few good experiences at the poolside restaurant we decided to give Watkins a try (separate review). Big mistake and one we won't repeat.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The food is excellent and the menu changes daily. There is something on the menu for everyone, there is a vegetarian option which changes daily and I particularly enjoyed the vegetable curry. The staff in the restaraunt are very attentive, thanks for keeping the coffee coming in the morning ladies and thanks for making it a great stay.

Visited July 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A wonderful end to a happy family holiday”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We decided to book a table in the Watkins & Co restaurant to mark the end of a family holiday in Llandudno last week. My sister-in-law had graduated with her PhD at Bangor University on the Tuesday and my Dad's 85th birthday is at the end of the month, so we wanted to celebrate both occasions.

The owner of our B&B just down the road loves this restaurant so I popped into the hotel and asked to have a quick look around before making a reservation (I'm very fussy and wanted this to be a special night). The Empire has two restaurants, Watkins which faces onto the street and a second (can't remember the name) which overlooks the indoor swimming pool. As we were still in the middle of the sunny weather and the second restaurant looked a little dark, we opted for the light, bright and elegant Watkins.

The minute you walk into The Empire, you just feel it's going to be good. The building dates from the mid 1850s and was Llandudno's first department store which possibly accounts for its rather grand appearance. It became a hotel in the early 1900s and has been extended and improved over the years by the same family who run it now. You really get the sense that a lot of care and attention has gone into making this one of Llandudno's most elegant and comfortable hotels.

Although we were not staying at the hotel we were nevertheless made to feel most welcome. On arrival we decided to have drinks in the lounge and found a cosy corner where we were greeted by a very elegantly dressed lady and presented with our menus. This was the last night of our holiday so we took our time. There was no pressure to come through to the restaurant, even though we finally took our seats some 25 minutes later than our 6.30 reservation.

The restaurant decor was both elegant and contemporary, with the chairs covered in crisp white fabric and tiffany style lamps providing a colourful contrast. Even though we were dining early, the restaurant was busy so it's a good idea to book.

For an amazing £21.95 the Watkins served an excellent 5-course meal, including coffee. There were at least 6 options to choose from for each course, all interesting, very well presented and delicious.

Since we were celebrating, we ordered a bottle of the house champagne (very reasonably priced at £24.95). When my mum managed to knock over her glass and its contents, the staff were quickly on hand to mop up and replace her chair which had soaked up a fair bit of the champagne. It was all done, quickly, kindly and efficiently, with no fuss.

I chose a trout and prawn terrine to start with which was very good. My brother had the chicken satay with sweet chilli sauce and others in our group had the grilled melon skewer with balsamic glazed strawberries which went down very well. I followed this with mushroom soup and grilled lemon sole with vegetables. My brother had the deep fried cod, served as two curly pieces and, by all accounts also very good.

For dessert three of us had fresh strawberries and raspberries with cream/ice cream while my brother opted for his favourite sticky toffee pudding and mum chose the pear and almond tart. Again, all good and matched by friendly, attentive but not intrusive service.

Although the hotel was not able to provide a birthday cake for my dad, Reception were very happy for me to purchase my own and leave it with them to serve with our coffee. I therefore sneaked off to M&S, purchased a cake and delivered it earlier in the day, hoping that the message would get through to the waiting staff. I did not have to remind them because the cake + candles arrived right on cue to a chorus of happy birthday from the other diners! My dad was delighted. We helped ourselves to coffee in the lounge (where it is complementary) and our waiter brought us slices of birthday cake to enjoy with it.

We had to tear ourselves away from The Empire, having had a lovely meal and a very happy evening. Having made all the arrangements at short notice, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I needn't have worried, though, because the food, surroundings and service were all faultless. The bill was a pleasant surprise, too. For the five of us, including a bottle of house champagne and two addtional large glasses of wine, the cost was £146. Our pre-dinner drinks came to £16 and overall it worked out at a very respectable £32 each all in. We left a generous - and well deserved - tip.

Thank you to the staff at The Empire/Watkins & Co for making this a great evening. You do what you do very well and it was appreciated. I will be back!

1 Thank LittleEmsy