“Good staff, food not so good”

Osborne's Cafe and Grill
Ranked #16 of 211 Restaurants in Llandudno
Cuisines: European, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Osborne’s Café and Grill in Llandudno -- could there be a more romantic restaurant anywhere? Set in the Grade II listed Osborne House Hotel right on the promenade, Osborne’s is a modern tribute to high Victorian style. Softly candlelit and decorated with opulent drapery, period fireplace, gleaming chandeliers, gilt mirrors, antiques, paintings and fluted columns, the dining room still manages to be relaxed and informal. Perfect for light bites or full meals, the menu uses local produce to create inventive, seasonally-changing modern European dishes. Everyone loves the Conwy Valley lamb shank with ratatouille and basil when it’s on the menu and the Osborne’s rendering of fish and chips.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Went for a late lunch recently, was a quiet thursday afternoon, so me and my friend decided on a long and leasurely lunch at Osborne's, my friend had been before and had a great meal. Chose here because it serves food all day, and it was late afternoon. We were greated by very friendly staff at the bar, ordered our food over a drink, then went thru to the dining room to eat. Was served again by a very friendly and polite waiter, but when the food arrived, it was a bit dissapointing. My friend had the garlic mushroom on brioche starter, not much garlic or sauce, but on a very soggy bed of brioche, my seafood starter was just ok, nothing special. We did spend a bit of time on the starters, as we had not seen each other for ages, so were gossiping and catching up on the news, however, when mains arrived, you coul tell tht the had been standing for a long time under a lamp. My salmon was really dry and crusty around the edges, and not that hot, my friends fish and chips looked very over done too. They should have not startrd to cook our mains until we were nearly finished our starters, it was quiet in the restaurant, so they could have cooked the food better. Ordered desserts, as we were having the 3 course deal. My friend enjoyed her chocolate pot, I had bread and butter pudding, that had a few raisins, but mostly tasted like scrambled egg. Great service, nice wine, shame about the food.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

The ambiance was very welcoming, the food excellent and also the wine. Service very good and although the frontage of the hotel is not that good, you are transported when you enter the restaurant. Worth a visit.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Carol-Lynn at Lauriston Court Hotel recommended this restaurant to us and I am so glad she did. The dining room & bar are really attractive. The food was great. The best risotto I have tasted and the desert sublime. Really good value for money.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I chose to book a table at Osborne's during a weekend break in Llandudno, mainly due to the recommendations of our stylish upmarket B&B and generally favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. Sadly, the food was not at all up to standard and the staff didn't seem to care that much.

The setting is nice enough - a grand Victorian dining room and a view out across the bay from the front windows. We were also given a friendly welcome, but that's where the pleasantness ended. I had a grilled brochette of prawn and king scallop for starters. Lovely fresh seafood that was ruined by being drenched in a shop-bought sweet chilli sauce, completely eliminating the delicate sweet scallop flavour. My wife has a smoked trout timbale which had the opposite problem - it didn't really taste of anything! Main courses were grilled plaice and sauteed salmon on creamed cabbage. The plaice was ok, but the salmon was the most salty dish I think I've ever tasted in a restaurant (and I like my food fairly salty!). When I mentioned this to the waiter who came over, he just said 'oh' and wandered off again. Fortunately, a bit of lemon juice and the cream sauce made the fish edible, but I was thirsty for hours afterwards!

We probably should have quit there, but we shared a cold, limp treacle tart for pudding and I foolishly ordered a glass of dessert wine - a Chilean muscat, which tasted a bit like chlorine.

The prices look reasonable at first, but they were pulling the classic 90s trick of listing main courses with no carbs or veg included so by the time you add in side orders, the meal was quite expensive for Llandudno.

It's very rare that we go out for a bad meal these days thanks to Tripadvisor and other recommendation websites, so it was a real surprise to find Osborne's wanting in so many areas. Perhaps the head chef had called in sick, but so many basic errors are hard to forgive in any case.

1  Thank Magellan13
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went here yesterday for lunch and was very disappointed with the food.I went for a tootsie which looked like normal supermarket bread with cheese and ham filling. The chips was thrown and swimming in oil, no garnish and at £5.95 I have had better in a little chef. It is a big shame cause the building is fantastic get rid of the chef!