“Disappointed with room and food”
Review of Somerset Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Llandudno
Somerset Hotel
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed with room and food”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We were on a coach trip when we stayed at the Somerset. We later found out that this meant you had different eating arrangements to other guests. We were not allowed into the dining room until the exact minute of their starting time and like other people who stayed there we found the food below average. The cereals were already in the bowls at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was probably the highlight of any of the meals. The layout of our tables meant that we were herded on to one side of the room on tables of eight even though our group were the only ones in there all week . It would have been much better with tables of four. The seats of the chairs were stained with dried on food. There is a choice for dinner, but none of the meals were outstanding. The waitresses were always pleasant but the meals were served in a hurry . Our double room was small and poorly decorated. Bathroom/shower/toilet was quite small with the sink in the bedroom. Nothing special about the hard bed. View out the back was poor. The views at the front must have been better. We would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank j0hnr0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed in The Somerset last weekend, it's in a great location, close to everything you need.The room was small but functional,clean linen, and the towels were replaced daily.We stayed in a sea view room, overlooking the bay and the prom. Can't comment on the food as we didn't eat there.My impression of the hotel is that it needs a bit of updating, flowery carpets, electric fires and fogeyish wallpaper, but overall it was fine, and the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, the back didn't look too scenic!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ghostlybap
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2011

It’s important to first say that my stay at The Somerset Hotel was whilst I was on a coach holiday based in Llandudno. There’s no getting away from the fact that most hotels operate a two tiered standard of service where independent travellers and coach parties are concerned, which manifests itself most in the restaurant.

The hotel is well situated on The Promenade directly overlooking the sweeping bay. Comparing its external appearance to that of the surrounding hotels, I’d say it was slightly above average.

As the coach came to a halt outside of the hotel, two members of staff quickly appeared ready to carry in our cases. One of them was wearing a replica football shirt, which I must confess I found a little disappointing. I wasn’t expecting someone in a top hat, but it didn’t create a good first impression and certainly didn’t look professional.

Room keys were immediately dispensed by the reception desk without any welcome or pleasantries. Patterned carpets abound on the stairs and landings, which add to an overall dated feel.

My room was located on the top floor looking out towards the rear of the hotel. The absence of a sea view was compensated for by having a much brighter and sunnier aspect than those rooms at the front, which stay mostly in the shade. However, there was a constant low level humming sound from some sort of cooling system or extractor fan operating outside at the back. Speaking as someone who suffers with some minor tinnitus in one ear, the change of pitch provided an unexpected and welcome relief.

The bedroom, like the rest of the hotel, was very clean and tidy. It was en suite, but curiously the sink was in the main part of the bedroom and not where you might have expected to find it, in with the toilet and the shower. Having mentioned the shower, if there was an art to achieving an ideal temperature, then it was one I never managed to master, as the water fluctuated between stone-cold and blisteringly hot.

On the plus side the room was kept spotlessly clean, the towels were changed daily and the bed always made up.

And so to the restaurant; our meals were served in the Conwy Room at the rear of the hotel. Breakfast was at 8.30am and evening meals at 6.30pm. The door was kept firmly closed until the allotted time, which meant having to queue until opening time and then having to file in. Meanwhile, independent travellers ate in a separate dining room where I assume they were able to choose when they wanted to eat.

I could probably write a short book about The Somerset Hotel’s culinary eccentricities, but I’ll try and be brief. Generally speaking the food wasn’t too bad, in fact, at times it was quite good, providing you’re a fan of 1970’s cuisine.

Firstly, the breakfast; cereal bowls were arranged on a long table and already had a very small portion of cornflakes, muesli or Kellogs Special K in them. The cooked breakfast was served at the table, but on a plate somewhere in between a tea plate and a dinner plate in size. The rapier like speed of service suggested that the breakfasts were already plated.

The menu for the evening meal is placed on your breakfast table and you have to make your main course selection in advance. There was a choice of two starters; one of which was always a soup of the day, but never any indication what particular soup it actually was. I opted for the soup most days and although it was flavoursome, I was never too sure what it was.

On our first evening my wife for her starter was treated to that ever-popular combo of melon and sorbet. I was in fits of laughter when the waitress provided her with a knife and fork with which to eat it. Trying to eat rapidly melting sorbet with a fork can be quite a challenge.

On another evening, there was melon and tinned fruit on offer for a starter. I was left wondering whether the chef was working from a book of 101 retro- recipes using a melon.

Some of the desserts, such as the meringue pie, were a triumph, whilst the sherry trifle and the gooseberry and rhubarb fruit crumble, were nothing short of a disaster. Be sure to say if you don’t want any cream, as most of the desserts come with cream already poured over the top.

As far as I could make out, the independent travellers were eating the same food as we were, but with subtle differences; our prawn cocktails were served in a dessert bowl, whilst theirs were presented in a cocktail glass.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MalmesburyMonk
Limavady, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Was on a coach trip from Northern Ireland to Llandudno 21-25 July 2011 and stayed in the Somerset Hotel. Arrived at hotel and shown to rooms. My room (a single) was quite small but very clean and tidy and the housekeeping was first class. I found the bed to be extremely hard - but you can't please everyone.

I could not get the window open and the room was very hot and stuffy. I asked at reception if someone could open the window and had to remind them the next day as the window seemed to be stuck, but the problem had been resolved by the time we came back later on the second day.

The entertainment in the evenings was first class and all of our group enjoyed the music.

The worst experience was the dining room. We were allocated a time of 9am for breakfast (which in my opinion and those on our coach tour was extremely late as we all like to be up and out). Dinner was at 7pm and if you were in the dining room before 9am or before 7pm you were asked to wait outside. After the first dinner experience we were not impressed. Orders were taken from our table of 10 on the first evening and most of us wanted Salmon. We were told that there was only 3 portions of Salmon left and that we would have to take something else. (Some of our party do not eat meat but do eat fish) and of those who were meat eaters they were given a salad consisting of sliced cold turkey, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and from what I can recall a slice of red onion (no potatoes). Not what I would call a great dinner. The funny thing was about 10 minutes after we were told there was no salmon left, plates of it were being carried out to other tables and when challenged by one of the guests was told they were sorry. They seemed to keep running out of things - no more roast potatoes - no more fruit and jelly - yet they were able to produce them from somewhere inside 10 minutes. Strange dining experience - in the mornings we even had to ask for orange juice if we wanted it, and always had to wait for ages for tea and hot toast..

Some of the dining room staff were quite abrupt and one was overheard to say that she could hit us. Not something one would expect to hear from staff, as if it was not for the customers they would not have a job.

Do intend going back to Llandudno as the scenery is wonderful, and if they got their act together in the dining room would be prepared to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brindlecottage
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I have just returned from a long weekend break to the Somerset Hotel.
I will start with the good points of the hotel.
The location is perfect, right on the promenade with great Sea Views (Ensure you book at sea view room other wide you will be looking at a brick wall).
You are also only 2 min's walk from the shops restaurants etc.
The hotel may have been very dated and of need of investment but its has everything you need.

Now for the bad points.
Firstly the food!
Well its all about the food.
Absolutely shocking quality and not in a good way.

Sorry but who ever gave this hotel a 3 star rating needs to be quested and I shall be investigating with the quality assurance department at the welsh assembly.
Someone needs to as this hotel is 2 star at best.

Breakfast consisted of cold toast, cold coffee and cheap and tasteless food. Service once you had got someone to take your order was quick, possibly even to quick with the feeling that food was turning up as soon as you ordered.
Suggesting it was plated and ready to go.

(I must state though the staff working in this area are pleasant and helpful but i did feel that they were working to some sort restrictions.)

Evening meal was not much better.
Again you ordered and as soon as you did the food arrived.
I had the salmon and cream cheese parcels that looked like an 3 year old had put together.
I then had the place with hard new potatoes and dried up veg.

The Place certainly was not fresh and very tasteless and well not nice to look at .
This was all pushed to one side and not eaten.

Others in the group had what the hotel called Sirloin steak that was cooked well done not matter how you ordered it. In regards the steak being sirloin I will make this statement.

It was not sirloin no chance of it.

Round up.

No I would not stay at this Hotel again. For others looking to book. Yes stay here but please not do not eat the food and stay room only.
On arrival please do not expect quality of service or anything special. Just take it as a room to stay and you cant go wrong.

My suggestion to the hotel is you can be so much more.
No you cant be like the Gorge or others of that standing as that would take heavy investment.
But you do need to improve the basics and please start with the food you provide, the service of that food, the cleanliness of the plates etc and please get rid of the chipped items plates, mugs and glasses.

P,S
You as a potential visitor may read this and think that I am just complaining.
Well i did the same and read the other reviews and even though they all say the same I thought it cant be that bad.
I should have trusted those other people.
I will leave you to make your own decision.

Room Tip: Go with sea view and stay room only.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank sawolves78

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

room was very small overlooking car park with a sink in corner. room was clean also linen. food was disgusting, it was plated up hours before serving and swimming in gravy used to heat it up. I ordered shepherds pie which must have had the shepherd in it because I found a large knuckle bone in the middle! When I called the waitress she said " It,s not my fault Iam only a waitress". The entertainment was absolute crap. Staff were very unhelpful. I don't think my dog would have been happy to stay there. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. They need to get their act together fast.

Room Tip: Go to the George Hotel along the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank monkey7266
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I was looking for a hotel that would accommodate my dog so I could take my mother away for a short break to Llanduno and I found the Somerset listed as a dog friendly establishment. In future I would not let me dog stay at such an awful hotel, listed as 3 stars, what a joke.

Firstly, I booked 2 single rooms and my room was so tiny and I mean tiny one side of the bed was up against a wall, the TV was not only small, but there were 2 working stations and one in Welsh, the bathroom was so small the basin was in the main bedroom and when using the toilet sitting down I could close the door !!. But the bedding was clean and fresh.
Second point: The restaurant was new, bright and inviting. The waitress we had one evening was trying to take our plates before we finished the course and the next course was tried to be served before we finished the current one. Every item of food was either microwaved or served cold. Except for a steak I had one course which was just ok and just ok. One evening I wanted a salad the salad was from a bag and was clearly from a old opened bag as every thing was just dropped on the plate no finesse and was crap I would not give it a rabbit in fear the rabbit rejected it. The meats served were obviously on the plate for hours before served as the gravy for the roast beef and Yorkshires was still on he plate when the salad was dropped on the plate, when I remarked about the waitress took it away and I did not get offered a replacement thank god for that. The cheese and biscuits were quite good.

Breakfast I had kipper grilled and these were about ok.

Coffee served was good

The entertainment would get a showing on Britain's Got Talent it was so terrible in fact cringingly terrible.

You can stay at the truly beautiful and outstanding St George 25 yards away, for £10.00 a night more and be in heaven.

Mr and Mrs Paddock you claim to have owned this hotel for 25 years, your joking I am surprised your still open, take a walk to the St George and learn a thing or 2 you have one less star rating and £10.00 cheaper, no wonder your empty, This is how your supposed look after your customers.

Yours sincerely