“Thanks for ruining my 40th....”
Review of Bay Marine Hotel

Bay Marine Hotel
Ranked #36 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Thanks for ruining my 40th....”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in... The food was inedible... hotel throw back from 80's... bar man the rudest man I have ever come across...
Disabled access none existant as wheelchair lift out of order.... Swimming pool closed... Reception staff waste of time but friendly...
Only good thing restaurant staff worked tiredlessly and very very polite and helpful...
This was my 40th Birthday celebration with my mother father 18yr old daughter aunt and uncle... Diagnosed with MS for my 30th birthday thought we'd make my 40th a little special with my loved ones... What a mistake that was... Avoid this hotel....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Shellnfarl
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Please accept my apologies that your 40th birthday celebrations did not turn out to be as enjoyable as you had hoped. I do remember the situation at the bar and am very sorry that this mix up upset you and your party.

Every effort is made to maintain high standards across the hotel and there are plans to refurbish the hotel later this year. When a property and its facilities e.g. lifts are in constant use, repairs can sometimes become necessary - we will always try to get these completed as quickly as possible to avoid inconvenience to our customers. The swimming pool was closed for just a week in February but was available at all other times except for a few hours as hoc for routine maintenance.

We are still waiting for planning permission approval from the local council to get a ramp installed. Once in place we hope that this will make our hotel much more accessible to our customers.

Thank you for the comments you have made - we do appreciate any feedback - good or bad - as it is only by receiving this that we can hope to improve and maintain services.

Marcus Williams, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I stayed here for 3 Nights with my wife and in-laws for a long weekend and was impressed with the welcome and warmth of the staff. As far as the hotel itself goes, it is an old Victorian hotel which is a little tired but very clean and comfortable.
We were impressed with the quality of the food and the waiting staff are very efficient. Special mentions to General Manager Marcus, Barman Zeus and waitress Szuszan (?)

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Mick W
Bolton
Reviewed November 30, 2010

We have been frequent visitors to LLandudno over the years staying in a variety of accommodation from self-catering, through B&B to the Imperial Hotel. I can honestly say that this was one of the better hotels and certainly the best value for money.
Excellently located on the promenade and just around the corner from the main shopping street one couldn't be in a better position for exploring this lovely resort.
To be honest, we were not expecting much of the hotel having paid just £89.95 each for a 3 night stay (special promortion of 3 nights for 2) half board. However, all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (special mention to Dai behind the bar), the half board option was more like full-booard as Afternoon Tea was served on Saturday and a lunch was included on the Sunday in addition to the breakfast and evening meals. Full English breakfast was served at your table and included a good selection of cereal and fruit juice (although the fruit juice could have been better quality). There was a good choice of food at evening meal time and, whilst not cordon bleu was freshly cooked and of fair portion. Sweet course always included fresh fruit (a large bowl brought to table to help yourself from) and cheese and biscuits (many hotels now charge a supplement for cheese and biscuits). Coffee/tea was also included in the price. Service was probably too efficient and we would have preferred a more leisurly approach.
The bedroom we had was badly in need of updating (particularly the bathroom) but it was large, we had a sea view, the bed was comfortable and we had tea/coffee making facilities and a TV. One can upgrade to better specced rooms if required.
Add to the package the use of a swimming pool and it is difficult to fault the overall package. The only downside for us was the entertainment, but it is aimed towards a specific age of clientele and they seemed to enjoy it.. Also, I would suspect parking would be a problem in high season.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug H
Wales
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Not for the first time my Wife and I have stayed in this Hotel,and will review for our three nights from Friday 29th October 2010.
The Hotel which is right opposite the lovely Promenade, looks quite impressive and is really handy for everything that Llandudno has to offer.....including the town center with lots of good shopping. The rest I will do in 'bullet' points with a 'Star' rating out of 5.
*****.........Reception. Staff where very friendly and helpfull.
*** .........Barperson (male). The one exception in friendly staff . And keep an eye on your
change.
** .........Poor range of drinks and NO REAL ALE AT ALL. A bummer for me.
**** .........Entertainment. Quite good, they do there best. The female singer has a really
good voice, but is let down by a very poor sound system using far too much
echo.
*****.........Really excellent food, nicely presented and our waitress Szusa was really
lovely, efficent and friendly. My Wife has to have Gluten free food, and was well
catered for.
*** ........Room. O.K. for what we paid, but I wouldn't write home about it.
** .......TV. About as small as one can get.....and no Freesat or Freeview. A disgrace in
this day and age!
My Wife and I have just booked to go back to this hotel on 13th December 2010 for 4 nights, (We love visiting Llandudno) so that says it all really. I just wish they would get some Real Ale in. But then no Shearings Hotels have any, and we go to quite a few.
All in all, you will not go far wrong staying here though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Booze C
south lincolnshire
Reviewed November 8, 2010

just returned from this hotel after a 4 night stay, travelled with a well known coach company.Our room was small but adequate,as were the meals,the cleanliness of the hotel was faultless, our main gripe were the bar prices, even if you were teetotal you were still stung.If however you enjoy a glass of wine as i do then be prepared to be really taken to the cleaners, a glass of red white or rose is £3 plus from a pump, a bottle starts around £13 and upward only one of the wine list did I recognise Wolff Blass at £16.50 and I could buy that for £6.50 retail.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank algy1934
Birmingham
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Just had a 3 night stay at the hotel. Our room was front facing and pretty much ok without being special. The evening meals were very good with a decent choice and good quality food and service. The breakfasts could be better with larger plates and hotter food! I mentioned the tepid food to the waitress on the first day , and she made sure we had hot food from then on! It pays to have a word! The hotel does need a good refurb but for the money, I think it is very good value.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gobinder
wigan
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Just returned from 3 night stay at Marine Hotel. Went with 6 friends/family. We had 4 rooms between us. First room my friend and I were given was freezing - radiator did not work. Someone did come straight away to repair it, but couldn't and we were told there were no other rooms available. We stood our ground until we were given another room. The room we were given was allocated to someone else but they ended up with the cold room - not our problem but did feel bad about that, it seemed that we'd been able to book in sooner than they did - what would have happened if we hadn't! The room we were given had a heater in it and we did need to use it as the heating was still inadequate.
2 of the other rooms our friends/family had - 1 had no hot water. In the other, the shower screen kept falling off, and also my friend cut his arm on a spring sticking out of the mattress! The other big problem was lack of parking space - I ended up sitting in my car on the car park hoping someone would move - this was all before we were able to check in, so not a good start to the holiday.
We did not enjoy the cabaret, but thats not to say others did, just wasn't our thing, but there was limited seating in the bar, so we ended up sitting in our rooms. There was another roombut this was cold. The main areas were warm.
The staff were friendly especially in the restraurant and the food was ok.
My family/friends go on lots of coaching short break holidays, but will not be returning to this one or recommending it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank lindaWigan

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels