“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #36 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed at the Marina Hotel whilst on a 4 Day Break with National Holidays.This was my first visit to Llandudno and it was a very pleasant experience.My first impression of the Hotel was awesome. The location is perfect overlooking the pier and promenade. The town centre is a short walk away and hosts a good selection of High street shops and various designer shops. On arrival at the Hotel we had to wait a little while until the rooms were available. This was no problem as there is an Excellent Coffee Lounge where we sat and enjoyed a coffee and a light snack. The rooms was perfect. it was clean an spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable. The quality of the food was very good and though it was very busy the staff were very efficient.

Room Tip: If possible select a sea view as the outlook is amazing.My preference is a high floor as I find it m...
4 Thank Kath H
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Hi Kath H, I am glad your first experience in Llandudno at the Marine was a good one. Thank you for the prise, your comments regarding the bar staff and your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Barrow in Furness
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We have just had an interewsting trip with Shearings to this hotel. The hotel was in good cxondition and right in the middle of Llandudno, within walking distance of shops and other attractions. The breakfast and evening meal was excellent and we were served well by our waitress, nothing was too much trouble for her. Take care of her Shearings, she will be a good advertisement for you. The only downside to our holiday was that the lager and guinness were undrinkable. And why did they shut one of the bars at nighttime causing a huge queue at the only bar open. I would recommend not stopping in the hotel for the evening as there are other places for a drink within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank mickey2dumps
Hi mickey2dumps, Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, the service and meals. I am surprised that you found issue with the draught products on the bar and I will raise this with the bars manager although we do not normally have an issue. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Devon
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a great break at this hotel. Yes, it has definitely seen better days and on rooms and common areas just and only just scrapes into the 3 star category. Some rooms are rather dingy and others have had a bit of a spruce up so what you get can be luck of the draw.

BUT:

Location is excellent: bang in the middle of the seafront and only a few yards from an interesting shopping centre;

Food was absolutely excellent: good full English breakfast, excellent 3 course eveving meals. We did not have a single meal that was not excellent.

Staff are friendly and helpful.

We paid only £129 for 4 nights half board including coach travel of more than 200 miles, got single rooms, one half day and one most of day excursion AND 4 free drinks each on the so-called Gala Night. I defy anyone to whinge about that.

I'm not one for evening entertainment so didn't stay for it. Friends reported it as variable but always acceptable.

Llandudno was interesting and spotlessly clean. I would not hesitate to recommend a break there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank LovelyDevon
Hi LovelyDevon, Thank you for your post and stating that your break was such excellent value for money. It is good to read you enjoyed your holiday with. We are working towards improving the décor of the hotel with more rooms being refurbished in February. Our rating comes from the services and facilities we offer so thank you for praising the meals, staff and entertainment. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We spent a long weekend in Llandudno and visited many of the local attactions and went on many walks. The hotel was clean even is the rooms were a liitle tired. The price we paid was good for bed breakfast and evening meal. The entertainment on site was a reasonable quality.
Service and the food was good.
We too paid for a guaranteed parking space and I would suggest that is essential if going out and about.
Finally after a long walk in the cold with snow still on the ground we were pleasantly surprised with the swimming pool, very warm although limited changing facilities.

Room Tip: You don't need a sea view unless you plan to spend many hours sitting and gazing out of the wind...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jezbar99
Hi Jezbar99, Sounds like a good all round break which is brill. Just so you all know we are about to have a load more rooms refurbished in February giving the hotel a good lift. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Kirkby in Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

long trip to hotel did not enjoy travelling with shearings due to 2 hour lay over at stretton interchange. Hotel accommodation in susperior seaview room and entertainment very good. Shame about the food, breakfast was good evening meals were a disaster and of poor quality,
Recommend if staying at the hotel book bed/breakfast only in superior room,

Room Tip: worth extra money for superior room with seaview, standard rooms little on the small side
2 Thank denise r
Hi denise r, Your review reads that your holiday experience with us was a bit mixed which is a shame. I acknowledge your comments about the travel but we do the best we can to ensure customer comfort with continued investment in new coaches. Regarding the evening meals, I would recommend to all travellers that if you do not like a meal to speak to a duty or restaurant manager with specifics of what you did or did not like about the meal. We might be able to do something for you. As it is we use lots of fresh produce and make most menu items from scratch. Thank you for scoring us so highly and for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have visited Llandudno numerous times and my Mother wished to revisit last September. The self drive package suited us best and we chose to drive to the hotel for a 7 night stay.

We paid around £35 extra to have guaranteed parking at the hotel, and this was a real bonus as parking can be very difficult near to the hotel. We were possibly the last guests to arrive and on arrival,it was a relief to find we had a designated parking space with our car registration number printed on a sign by the space. We never had any trouble with anyone "pinching" our parking space or parking badly preventing us from parking!
However, I am glad that I left my estate car behind and used my mum's golf as the parking spaces are quite tight.

We booked a superior sea view room and were very happy with this. Our room was located on the corner of the hotel so we had dual aspect views of the Great Orme and the promenade.

The superior room was very spacious, quiet and comfortable, had a seating area by the window , flat screen TV and also tea and coffee making facilities.The beds were also very comfortable and we both enjoyed quality sleep! I would highly recommend the superior rooms. I wouldnt suggest leaving a window open as there are "over friendly seagulls" !!

We were on a half board basis and thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts as there was a choice of cooked, continental, fruit,fruit juice, cereals, yoghurts, etc. For the evening meal there was always a choice of menu,I think 3 courses plus tea or coffee.

There were also several lounges for guests to use, and an information folder detailing local attractions in the foyer.

There was regular entertainment, but my Mother and I did not participate, but the comments we overheard, was that it was good. There is also an indoor pool, but we did not use this.

The location of the hotel is very good as it is literally just across the road from the promenade, and a few minutes walk to the start of the main shopping area. There is also a doctors surgery and chemist just around the corner if needed!

About 5 mins walk away there is a small shopping complex with a fair sized Debenhams and other shops.The main shopping areas has the usual selection of shops including a large M&S.

I found the staff at the hotel to be very courteous, particularly the receptionist who even tried to book me a hair appointment when I mentioned that I fancied a re-style!! The chambermaid or rather chamber-man was excellent, very polite / very thorough and our room was always cleaned early. Service in the restaurant was always prompt and courteous.

I would definately recommend a stay at the Marine and a stay in a superior room ( I cannot comment on the standard rooms as I did not see these).

I am a travel agency manager with many years experience,and have stayed in many different grades of hotel world wide. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I am In fact taking my Mother back to the Marine this year. It is a friendly, well located hotel in a Victorian sea front hotel.

Shearings/ Bay have now introduced a scheme where for £10 you can book a specific room number. I have paid to do this and was contacted yesterday by the reservations department and we have the same room that we stayed in last year.

Room Tip: If budget allows, go for a superior sea view room. If driving, pay the £35 for reserved parking, its...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hi fionaan, Thank you for your review. It was good to read especially as you are a travel agent manager. It is also good to read that you both enjoyed your break so much that you are both returning this year. Thank you again. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband booked this hotel for a short 3 night weekend break. We booked through Shearings as independent travellers. The stay included breakfast, evening meal and a gala night drinks voucher for four free drinks each. There was a good choice of menu at both breakfast and the evening meal, and the quality of all the meals was excellent. The service was speedy in the restaurant, so no long leisurely meals if that's what you like. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful.
The hotel is in a lovely position on the front and quite central to the town centre and shops. We personally didn't have any problems parking, however the parking on some roads are restricted during the daytime, and the hotel car park is small and there is a charge and booking required.
We had a double bedroom on the third floor with a sea view. The room was warm and comfortable with good facilities, flat screen tv, hairdryer, tea & coffee making facilities, although the en-suite was small (shower only) and the décor somewhat plain.
The hotel provided entertainment each night that consisted of a variety of singers, bingo, and a quiz, this was mainly aimed at the over 50's audience however I don't know if this would change in high season to cater for more young families!
We did try the swimming pool and had the luxury of having it to ourselves, it was warm and clean, with male & female changing rooms and showers at the side of it.
Yes the hotel itself is rather dated with creaking floorboards etc but it is Victorian and this all adds to its charm and atmosphere.
All in all it was a lovely weekend and very good value for money, and yes we will return.

4 Thank Anne R
Hi Anne R, Are you related to Ariley1993 who reviewed below? Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the review. Marcus Williams, General Manager