“Not at all as illustrated online”
Review of Bay Marine Hotel

Bay Marine Hotel
Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Shearings weekend break, costing £148 for 2 for 2 nights (15th-17th March). Fawlty Towers attitude of staff - we were delayed by an RTA and arrived 20 minutes late, about which we telephoned, but staff refused to keep our dinner (for which we had paid) by for us. Shabby room with rusty squeaking hinges, filthy undusted surfaces that gave me asthma, blurry TV, owing to dislodged aerial, unusable shower (because the well filled to overflowing in half a minute and would not drain), dirty window we could not see out of, ripped bed cover with stuffing exposed. My husband sustained an injury to his finger trying to sort the shower waste, and fixed the squeaking door with his own WD40. None of our complaints was addressed at the time, except the bed cover, and the replacement one was quite stained. Llandudno is a lovely spot, though, even in the rain, but it's Travelodge from now on.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Angela H
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Hi Angela H, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have record of a couple of issues raised whilst you were here and they were signed off as completed. I am aware that your husband sustained injury to his finger trying to sort the shower waste; I would not recommend using a razor to undertake such a task to any guest. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed March 18, 2013

the marine hotel needs a massive refurbishment very friendly staff very good entertainment but the whole hotel needs decorating and refurbishing food was not very good breakfast was fine but the evening meal wasnt very good but for the price we paid we couldnt grumble there was a man and wife team on on the friday night they were fab he played the organ and told jokes and she had a beautiful voice it would be worth going back to just see them again when she sang nessun dorma she blew us away excellent entertainment

Room Tip: sea view rooms would be nice
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Hi gill009, Thank you for taking the time to post and for praising the staff and the entertainment. Sorry to hear the food was not to your liking our chef uses lots of fresh ingredients and takes pride in the meals he produces. Perhaps we'll see you again. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was on a Shearings holiday to Wales from 11th march for five days, and what a good time was had by the six of us,I must start with Brian our coach driver he had us laughing in our chairs,he also knew the local area very well,told us all the best places,Cowry's,little Orme etc etc.
The hotel you get what you pay for,You must remember it is a old hotel the hotel is a little dated in area's,but if you look closely it is slowly being done up, whilst we were there they had a load of new furniture being delivered. the room I had was clean tidy had every thing I asked for, a clean bed and hot water and a warm room yes and the floorboards do creek heard upstairs every movement, on a negative have stayed in a bay before and have had shampoo and shower gel,biscuits. As other have said the staff are very good .
The food was a little hit and miss at times, evening meals were lovely could have been a little hotter loved the cheese and biscuit , breakfast had a very good choice cereal,grapefruit etc etc eggs could have done with being hotter,but otherwise over all very good.
Entertainment was different Bingo very slow,but the comedian was very good and so was the duo act, quizz etc etc.we also had the drinks vouchers and it was a very good deal yes you can upgrade you drink for a extra 50p/£1.00 not much in the scheme of things especially if you like a particular brand, and we didnt have to queue for very long , you can also go to the other bar if busy. so overall we had a very pleasant stay and yes would go to it again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Hi darbon, I am really pleased that you and your party enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Marine Hotel Llandudno 2nd November to 5th November room 132.
To get to the lift in this hotel you have to cross the ballroom which is ok during the day but at night when there are people dancing it can feel like you are intruding and be embarrassing.
First impressions of our room - not very clean, it was actually filthy & desperately in need of a refurb.The shower did not work properly, only luke warm water after running for 10 mins. I reported this to reception at approx 9.30am Saturday 3rd November. A man came at about 4.30pm and agreed with us that it was not working properly and then left. We did not see him again and the shower was not fixed.There was black mildew in the shower particularly on the door, I found this could be wiped off without much effort.
The toilet was not attached to the wall and the seat was loose/broken.
The toilet did not flush properly and the washbasin drained very very slowly.
The glass shelf in the bathroom was not cleaned during our stay.
There was no extractor fan or window in the bathroom
The television control did not work.
The curtains, I had to pull so hard I was frightened of pulling the rail down.
Evening meal on Friday was roast pork there were 2 very thin circular slices of meat approx 2inches in diameter, this was packed underneath with cabbage (to make it look more I assume).
Poached eggs and grilled tomatoes were cold each morning - not luke warm but cold as if taken from the fridge.
Whilst sitting in the lounge bar one could not help but notice there were cobwebs on the wall lights and also on the drapes

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank postcard77

Hi postcard77, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and that the list of faults you found is so extensive. In truth I do not feel your review is a true representative of the hotel, judging by the other reviews from November of last year and over the 4 1/2 months since I feel confident in saying so. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was on a Caledonian coach trip and found my room surprisingly pleasant. As others have said the staff are very good. I enjoyed all my meals except for the Bread and butter pudding, but the attentive waiter Tomas let me choose again. This is an old hotel and there are old sash windows so if there is a gale blowing they are not good at keeping out the draughts. On the moderate days the room was warm but at minus 6 and with high winds it was not very warm, but I just got into bed fast! A very comfortable bed it was too. I would go back again as the location is very good. We had great drink vouchers for 4 drinks a night but did not even use them all. There was entertainment on Friday and Saturday and the staff provided a quizz night and put on music on the Sunday. The portions are not huge so if you look for plates piled high you might be dissappointed. I loved the ham and eggs at breafast... quality boiled ham which looked like it was from a joint cooked on the premises, with a poached egg and toast. The porridge is creamy and served with sultanas or honey if you wish. Main course choices were good and here was always a vegetarian option. I enjoyed the Trout with almonds, Sweet and sour pork and Hake fishcakes. My friend had the roast pork, cheese and red onion tart and chicken on a bed of leeks. She enjoyed them all. all though mostly older guest were there from coach parties there were other self drive guests and families with children. the swimming pool looked clean and several guests did use it, the children seemed to enjoy it very much. There was never any problem getting drinks at the bar and you could upgrade your free drinks to coctails or more expensive brands etc. Stayed 8th - 11th March. The fire alarm was set off at 12.50 am this was a faulse alarm, that was not so good but the staff quickly told the guests that they could go back to bed.

Room Tip: Nice view from the seaview rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tagger
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Hi tagger, thank you for placing such a good review on Trip Advisor for us and I am really glad you and your friend enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will see you both again. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

If you pay £30 for a night's b&b then you should be happy with the location and cleanliness, as I was. If you pay more then you might be put out by the vegetable soup aroma that permeates and the service that reminds you of Faulty Towers' Manuel; they are trying hard but the coach trip geriatrics are like relentless waves.

Would I stay there again ? At £30 yes!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Essai45
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Hi Essai45, thank you for your review. I'm glad you found your stay with us good value for money. The Marine Hotel is part of the Shearings group and we welcome all types of travellers, coach, self drive and walk in's direct. I look forward to accommodating you again in the future. Marcus Williams, General Manager.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

stayed at the marine monday 25th february to friday 1st march on a national holiday the location was great on the sea front and near the town centre, the staff were fantastic very friendly the down side unfortunatley was the room it look filthy the wallpaper was coming away stains on the ceiling and it was cold we had to have a little heater, the shower was either freezing or scorching hot. The most concerning thing as they can charge upto £400 a week for the room we stayed in if i had paid that much i would have been devastated,the meals were ok a bit on the small side if you had a healthy appertite, i was so disappointed national need to look at there hotels and ask themselves would they sleep in rooms like this the room we stayed was 325

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank denise d
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Hi Denise D, thank you for your review. I'm sorry you felt let down by your room, looking over our hand over diary at the hotel there is no record of you bringing this to the attention of reception therefore not giving us a chance to rectify the issues you had. If any guests are dissatisfied with their room we are always happy to relocate them if possible. Marcus Williams, General Manager.