“Basic but worth the money I paid”
Review of Elsinore Hotel

Elsinore Hotel
Ranked #59 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Chester
“Basic but worth the money I paid”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

£45 for a twin room for two including breakfast. The room was clean, yes it could do with a lick of paint here and there but for a budget hotel it was fine.

I thought the bed was a too hard but I did sleep extemely well and it was quiet.

Location on the prom is good,

Breakfast was served quickly, I didn't particluary like the beef sausage and bacon and would have preferred pork but it clealy states on the menu what it is, may be it's a religeous thing.

I would stay again, for a night or two, if I was stayng longer I would upgrade to a nicer hotel but that would depend on the price.

In the end you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I agree with most of the comments about this hotel. Usually I dont take someone else's opinion without giving it a try myself!. Do not do as we did and give this hotel a try. The hotel has a prime position on the front by the pier and this is the only good side. The lift looks like it has been out of order forever. I travelled with my eighty five year old mother, my friend and her eighty year old mother and told them this when we booked. We had rooms on the first and second floor. The room smelt damp and musty. I will say the bed linen was clean on arrival but that is all I can say on a positive note. The breakfast was rubbish the bacon looked like the sole of someone's boot!. We deliberately booked a hotel with a bar so if our mothers wanted to go up to the rooms we could have a drink in the bar. Thats a laugh, it opened at 6pm and shut not long afterwards depending on what time the bar maid / receptionist / maid (I think she was all three) went home. The first night it was all shut up and no one available when we returned at 10.30. The second night we got back a little earlier and when I asked if I could have a drink she told me "well you'll have to be quick my bus is at 10.45"! To which she gave us a drink, closed up and left the hotel. That was it no one was then available until breakfast the next morning, so I dont know what would happen if there was an emergency. I asked about the manager and was told she was in another hotel!. The booking was stay two nights get one free, I don't think so believe me two nights in that hotel was quite enough!!. Do not give it a second glance.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon1606

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Reviewed June 24, 2012

If you want to stay at a hotel that charges £80.00 a night then stay there! I first visited wales six weeks ago and since have returned 5 times and always stay at The Elsinore. Good basic rooms. The friendliest most attentive staff I have ever met. Don't be a snob, you pay for what you get.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Alan R
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2012

1st impressions are usually right. the phone call to book was taken by a very unhelpful girl. when we arrived we asked to look at rhe room befor we paid. it was on the 3rd floor even though we told her my husband had trouble walking. the lift was not working. the room was dirty. we told her this and asked if anything else was available. she gave us another set of keys. the room was a seaview which we had been told was not available. it was on the 2nd floor. it was better on 1st glance so we went back down to the "receptionist". we told her we would take it and paid. we asked what time the bar opened to which she told us it would not be open as they had no staff. when we returned to the room we started putting our things away. the used soap on the not so clean towels was thrown in the bin pubic hair included.... we also had drawers with no bottoms in. the wardrobe had broken plastic handles on.the windows wouldnt shut properly but we didnt mind too much as we would rather smell the sea air than the damp toilet smell. the water would not run out of the sink in "ensuite". the shower was filthy. the toilet seat was broken. the bed linen was clean .....but ripped. the pillows smelled. we had already paid so we thought we,d just make the most of it. the front of the hotel didnt look too bad apart from overflowing ashtrays. we went out for the evening and had a lovely time. we returned to the hotel after ten. the hotel was in darkness and there was no staff anywhere. anyone could walk in. we went up to the room and thought we would have a brew befor going to bed. the kettle was so high up on a shelf my 6ft 4 husband had trouble reaching the kettle. the bed was hell.
we got up for breakfast and the sun was shinning. we thought have a good breakfast and a lovely day out. we waited......so we got our cereal and fruit juice our waiter came and asked what we would like for our cooked breakfast. my husband asked for sausage bacon fried eggs and beans. i had bacon sausage fried egg and tomatoes. when the breakfast came we really didnt know if it was a joke. the bacon was like a piece of thin fried beef. the sausages were a very dark brown colour but under cooked the tomato was half a tomato. the egg was ok. we had to ask twice for tea. the toast by this time was cold. i have never tasted anything so disgusting in my life. even abroad when you ask for a full english breakfast you get bacon and sausage that look and taste like bacon and sausage...... we went out. onto the veranda to the overflowing ashtrays and empty bottles left from the night before. we had a lovely day out in llandudno its a lovely place. when we returned to the hotel that night we were dreading another sleepless night in that awful bed. i just wanted to come home. after a long night we got up and packed before going for "breakfast". the couple on the next table had asked if they had proper bacon and sausage as they didnt like what they had been given the day before and it had tasted like beef not bacon they were told they did have it and they only had to ask. but then the waiter came back and said they had none left but they had something like.......was it or wasnt it bacon.....????????????? apparently not. we had scambled egg on toast. we couldnt leave quick enough. CHEAP HOTEL CHEAP FOOD CHEAP FURNISHINGS CHEAP STAFF and the owner/manager was no where to be seen.PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS HOTEL PAY A BIT MORE AND GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. CHEAP IS NOT ALWAYS CHEERFUL. we have stayed all over england in hotels and bed and breakfasts but we have NEVER had to stay in a place like this it was disgusting.THE HEALTH AND SAFETY PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GO INTO THIS PLACE AND SHUT IT DOWN.

Room Tip: dont bother at all veiw rooms before you pay as all money paid is none refundable
2 Thank janice t
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Firstly, in the most basic way of putting this, the people who have rated this hotel so terrible, seem to be be people with much higher standards. The hotel next door is a 4 star-stay there, or stop expecting a 4 star hotel for one of the cheapest priced hotels in Llandudno.

Anybody who has read any of my other reviews knows that me and my partner are pretty laid back, that doesn't mean to say that we ignore faults.

There were 2 problems with this hotel and ONLY 2:

1. Our lock didn't work on the bedroom door-you could push the door open. We let reception know, the handyman replaced the lock whilst we were out and reception kindly held on to our belongings for us in the process. The door was fixed perfectly.

2. The mattress on the double bed tipped to the right, so I was a little worried about rolling out of the bed-mainly because I'm 9 months pregnant so I'm a dead weight at the moment. But, again, we also had a single bed in the bedroom, so we pushed the two together and I slept in the middle. No problem.

They were the only two problems.

There's a couple of things I noticed were re occurring in other poster's reviews and I actually wanted to make a few points about them before I do a walk through of start to end of our stay.

-Lots of complaints that rooms weren't serviced, now we have been starting to noticed that the signs that go on the doors are starting to change from 'do not disturb' to 'please service this room', we actually think it's better that way. The Elsinore actually follows a very similar routine, but not quite the same. Now granted, I didn't notice it at first as it was my partner who checked us in, but as we came down to tell them about the door lock, clear as anything, on the front of reception, is an a4 sign that says- Please leave your keys at reception for your room to be serviced' It seems a lot of people missed this and obviously expected a serviced room after being out for the day.

-The TVs: Where we lived before, it didn't matter what we did, we could never get a decent signal on our free view. The hotel cannot just uproot the building to a place with better signal, and again, it simply is not their fault nor under their control. Again, if it was a four star, then yes you could expect sky or virgin or something more reliable, but the fact is, it's a cheap hotel, they do not need to provide an excellent TV service. It took a bit of fiddling with the aerial, but we got a watchable picture, when the weather was worse, the signal was worse. That's just the way it goes. At The Grand they offer 5 channels only. So really complaints are just for the sake of complaining.

Breakfast- They have an hour slot and try to get people turned around as quickly as possible, you can't win, if they offered a hot buffet, people would complain that the food wasn't fresh, because the food is fresh, it will obviously take longer to go out, so people complain...
As for asking people to wait, they can't very well sit you on somebodies lap, they actually ask you if you wouldn't mind waiting in the bar-which is one room away- until somebody comes to take them through. They cannot possibly predict the amount of guests that are going to turn up at 8:30, they don't have the space, but that can happen anywhere. The 3 mornings we spent there, not one guest waited longer than ten minutes for their breakfasts to come out, and not one guest complained. For a start, they offer both continental AND cooked breakfast. In most places you get a choice between. There's 2 cereals and a choice of 3 juices to have whilst you wait for your cooked breakfast.

Lastly- Lot's of people complained about having to pay upfront, this really isn't that unusual, as I stated in my review of The Grand. It's also actually better for you, if you pay in full and have a receipt, any problems, you have proof of your stay. Mainly though, I can imagine that most people found this hotel through sites such as Booking.com, which if you press the question mark- that nobody ever bothers to read-it tells you important information that clearly states that full price will be charged on arrival and that no refunds are offered.

Now for our stay-sorry this is so long, but this hotel has such bad reviews and we really felt it was undeserving of them.

When we arrived we were met by a lady with dark hair on reception who booked us in and did us our receipt. There was another girl on there with red hair and glasses who continued to be pleasant throughout our stay. Our room was clean and tidy, with ample supplies, we had a kettle! But it wouldn't have mattered if we had to nip downstairs to grab it! We stayed from the 4/06 to the 7/06 in room 204. We paid £135 for 3 nights for a double room. I asked if we could have a sea-view if possible. Now we got a sea-view room at the front of the hotel for the price of a rear. You really can't complain when most hotels on the seafront for the same dates were at least £200. The room was spacious and certainly had no odd smells.

We went for breakfast the first day at 9:00 and were very impressed, I wont go into detail as I already have above. I will say that the young lady with red hair and the two gentleman in the shirt and black trousers on the second 2 mornings, the other on the first, were splendid. They were well mannered, they updated us when it was a little busy, they seated us before the table was made up, instead of leaving me to stand with being pregnant, and cleaned the table around us. We asked for some butter and they got some straight from the fridge for us.

In all honesty, all the staff we came across-sorry we didn't catch names- were perfectly friendly, spoke perfect English and were good at their jobs. They weren't rude, ignorant, unaccommodating, untrained or 'too young'. To brand them as all of those things because of certain errors is completely wrong, one person may have made one mistake, that doesn't give the right to group all of them together. All in all, we had an excellent stay and given that it was our 2 year anniversary on the 5TH June we were more than satisfied.

A review of a hotel is based on service, rooms, comfort, location and quality. We cant fault anything and we've stayed at bigger higher starred hotels in Llandudno. Although there are far more bad reviews than good reviews, the bad reviews all seem to say the same thing, if you take the time to read the good reviews, it seems they all formed the same opinion as us. Do not stay at a cheap hotel and expect 5 star quality, then complain because it isn't, stay at a 5 star in the first place. Or, appreciate what this hotel is offering for an incredibly good price at peak season.

I hope my review goes some way to helping this hotel get the recognition it deserves :)

Room Tip: Give it a chance!
5 Thank JJ B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We thought this Hotel was in an ideal location when booking, slap bang in the middle of the main prominade. However that was all that was in its favour.
We were there for 5/6/7/8 June. Four very limp flags, dirty steps and unkept garden should have given us a clue to what to expect. Dark reception area and had to pay upfront. Given key to room on third floor. Asked if there was a lift told "yes, but not working due to be mended Wednesday". No help with bags, although a gent who had come in with us carrying a KFC and putting it on Reception desk was certainly employed there. Room was small with only a three quarter bed, television in front of sash window thus stopping any light getting into room, toilet dirty. We immediately went back down to Reception and cancelled our booking. We were told that the cleaner was not working that day and therefore the room and bathroom had not been cleaned. We were offered another room which on inspection was not much better and the colour of of the duvet was horrendous. We refused this room and said that we would go elsewhere.
The Receptionist said we would have to pay £45 cancellation fee as we had booked through Booking.com and she couldn't deal with a refund without her boss's say-so. She rang her Boss who told her that we would have to cancel the Booking with "Booking.com. Eventually this we did, they were very helpful. However the monies due from the "Hotel" have still to appear in our Bank Account. NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED, AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Room Tip: None. Didn't stay long enough to find out. I should say that the rooms at the front would be th...
2 Thank Pam H
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Well, what can I say?
I booked this place as a stop gap for one night and wish I hadn't!
The staff where nice and as helpfull as you make them, nothing is too little trouble and the bare minimum is placed at your service.
What I found most surprising was the welcome to my room from a hopefully "coffee" stained quilt, three dead wasps on what was left of the window ledge and comedy drawers entirely missing the bottom. I feared going to sleep awaiting a Spanish builder rolling back my ceiling ala carry on abroad!
There where other welcoming gifts, such as the pubic hair on the soap tablet which was lovingly placed on a stained towel, dangerous wiring from the plugs to the tv and kettle.
This place is really grotty and ran down, I will be posting up pictures of my room as soon as I get home....
Oh and whilst writing this I have realised how strong the spring is on the fire door next to my room is, I can only hope that everyone is in bed past that door before 1am!

• Stayed June 2012