Professor Codman's Punch & Judy show
Review Highlights
Excellent Punch and Judy show (and long may it continue)

Reviewed August 27, 2018

from $9.20
More Info
from $157.10
More Info
All reviews childhood memories dying art political correctness puppet show children love children and adults old fashioned british seaside great fun all ages ice cream policeman puppeteers donation audience pc snowflake
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

One of the highlights of our trip to Llandudno was seeing a good old-fashioned Punch and Judy show on the front.
What a joy it was to see young children fascinated by it, sitting cross-legged as good as gold watching the traditional action-packed antics.
They absolutely loved it, transfixed by the comedy, the silly voices and the knockabout mayhem caused by the villainous and duplicitous Mr Punch.
They loved joining in, shouting warnings or contradicting Mr Punch in his attempts to wheedle his way out of trouble.
The crocodile, sausages, policeman and hangman all made appearances.
How sad that assorted humourless harridans, po-faced purveyors of political correctness and self-appointed guardians of what is “appropriate” for children and even adults to see or hear are in danger of consigning the few remaining genuine Punch and Judy shows to history.
Full marks to the present team from Professor Codmans for sticking to their guns and performing a traditional show. The current maestro was very pleasant and talked to me with enthusiasm about his work, smiling defiantly that the show was “very politically incorrect”.
I fear that the politically correct brigade, with their inability to see beyond their self-righteous “inappropriate and outdated” mantra, will ultimately close down and force out all the few remaining Punch and Judy shows.
Enjoy them while you can and don’t allow humourless, judgemental harpies with no sense of proportion or common sense to finish them off. When we visited, there were shows at 12.30pm, 2pm and 4pm.
These special performances rely on donations and a polite, discreet and unobtrusive woman circulates to collect offerings. There is no pressure to give but please do so.
Even I wanted to give a contribution, especially if it helps to ensure the survival of a dying art and a unique piece of children’s entertainment history.
There is a stall next to the Punch and Judy booth which sells interesting memorabilia.
Keep up the good work, sir, and don’t let the miserable snowflake moaners grind you down or kill you off.

1  Thank CrustyPatch
Reviewed August 25, 2018

I come from Bognor Regis and when I was a kid me and my brother and sisters spent many a day at the prom and pier (when Bognor's pier was fully intact).
These days at the sea were spent eating ice creams, paddling in the sea, picnics on the beach and The Punch & Judy Show.
I never thought I'd see one again in these days of PC and the snowflake generation.
You can only imagine my delight when I heard the voice of Mr Punch in the distance as we walked along the prom.
Oh boy.. it was like I had gone back 50 years and I was a little lad again.
I found myself joining in with the children, who like myself 50 odd years ago, were sat in front of the puppet box laughing at the antics of Mr Punch and shouting at the naughty puppet.
I have just read some of the recent reviews... PUPPETS, these are puppets. There are far worse things on tv and films and video games these days. If kids copied the naughty Mr Punch then I'm sure that the PC brigade would kick up a stink and there'd be headlines in our national press calling for a complete ban on this show.
This show brought back happy memories for me and my wife.
If you are at the same age and remember this show with the same fondness, get yourself down to Llandudno and enjoy the memories flooding back.
Thank you Professor Codman for keeping this seaside tradition going.

1  Thank lilger
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

The story of Punch and Judy is over 100 years old and, thankfully, Prof. Codman leaves the traditional story intact and hasn't bowed down to the snowflake generation.
Children and adults were laughing along together in a very engaging show in which it is quite clear that Punch is doing wrong and we are reminded it is just a show at the end.
Great fun

1  Thank GarfieldArmitt
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Walking towards the pier we could hear the punch and judy show. It was lovely to see and hear the children enjoying themselves to something that is from the past but still going strong in llandudno. We stopped and watched for several minutes. There was a good audience and it was good to see long may it continue!!

1  Thank ditto20
Reviewed August 8, 2018

I was absolutely disgusted when I saw the part where punch is told to put his head in a noose and say goodbye to everyone. Do these people realise how distressing this is for someone who has lost a family member who took their own life this way.

Reviewed July 28, 2018

This is a great, traditional Punch and Judy show. Ok, it depicts a nasty character who is violent towards anyone, but the kids watching know it is wrong and shout not to encourage (as said previously by another reviewer) but to try to stop Mr Punch hitting people with his stick. If you stick to the end, Jason, the Professor Codman doing the show reminds the children that the story isn’t real and that no one got hurt. The whole thing engages the children (and adults) watching and it a complete delight. Give generously when the collecting tin comes round. This family have preserved a fine bit of British seaside tradition for over 150 years.

4  Thank Themathdiva
Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

I’ve never seen a Punch and Judy show (I’m 56) but have always wanted to see one. My sister and I are on holiday in Llandudno without elderly Mother and we saw that there was to be a show in half an hour.
We stayed and watched and we loved it. There was a party of school children watching and to see them carried away and shouting at Mr Punch was lovely.
It was great entertainment and to all the moaners and complainers about political correctness, get a life. Children are exposed to more violence and vile scenes on an average soap opera which many parents are happy to let their children sit through as well as disgusting and violent video games.
I cannot believe that any children watching would think it ok to throw their baby sibling down the stairs.
Long may this great show continue.

2  Thank jezzler554
Reviewed June 17, 2018

I was rather surprised by the amount of violence and scenes of hanging displayed by this show. There were plenty of young children watching, and shouting out encouraging Punch to hit others with his stick - his Wife, a Policeman, etc. Then, to actually show someone being hung by a noose is rather distasteful, and could put ideas into children's heads.
Whilst I appreciate this must be a historical story-line, it really isn't suitable for this day and age where children are easily influenced, bullied, and there is lots of violence shown on TV.
It would be far nicer for a more pleasant story-line, more appropriate for a young audience on Llandudno Pier.

1  Thank Mauriceb17
Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

We love Llandudno and the stunning promenade. We were there on Holidays last week and were disappointed as it was a week day that there was no Punch and Judy show so we called back on the Sunday and the children were delighted the Punch and Judy show was on and they loved the performance and bought a few bits and pieces in the souvenir shop of the show including a snappy crocodile which there still playing with well done to the owners great to see this charming show still entertaining people as it has done for so many years

2  Thank Gerry H
Reviewed September 1, 2017

The adults in the audience were enjoying this as much as the children. We did not stay to see the whole show as there was no where to sit. We stood for quite a long time and found ourselves shouting with the children. Took us back to happy childhood visits to the seaside.

3  Thank Sue P