“Authentic Diner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Authentic Diner”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I spend a lot of time in the USA and this diner has a real authentic feel (including cheese with or on every dish). The menu is very typical USA diner - the food when delivered presented nicely and plentiful. I will be back as my meal was delicious! Recommend the pulled pork with lashings of bbq sauce. First time in a while I have been to llandudno but there was a queue so seems to have generated its regulars.

• Visited February 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dyserth, United Kingdom
“Not too bad.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Initially I wasn't too the wife chose to go here as it reminds of the chained pub Frankie and Benny's and I really don’t like the Frankie and Benny's brand at all.
The restaurant was laid out nice and very much themed to represent a little bit of Americana (or Americana as us Brits perceive the American image to be)
The son and I ordered a burger whilst the wife had quescidellias. They were presented nicely, though a little sparse on the side orders and fries. The fries were served in a tin cup, that looked ace, but ultimately was a small amount fries for the money you paid, and the coleslaw was in a little pot too and was such a feeble amount combined with the fact it was slightly warm, giving the impression it hadn’t been refrigerated and that didn't feel right with a something that has mayonnaise in it.
That aside the meal functional and was not an unpleasant experience. I don't go into every establishment expecting to be blown away and have master chef food with maître Dee waiters and always feel different meals fit different occasions, you hopefully get what you pay for and I suspect Harvey’s fell short here of what it could be.
It wasn't too bad a price to say there was three of us, we all had drinks and at the end of the meal we were all full. The food tasted nice and was cooked well, the staff were attentive in the way they had been told to be (coming back half way through the meal to see if everything was alright) it felt they were ticking a box rather than being good at their jobs, which to me is fine I don't need to be fawned over.
In conclusion it was probably a little bit more money than we only expected to pay, and when I say a little bit I only mean by £5-£10, had it been incrementally less my review would have been a better.
What they did do though was sweet potatoes fries with the quesadillas, which were amazing (try it yourself at home, they are great) and the portion of the quescidellias were very big.
Don't knock it until you've tried it, I can see how this place could have massive and varying reviews from person to person who attends as it's service seems nothing above functional. If you want high standards don't go here, but if you want a meal in a place that will fill you up and the few quid extra won't be a problem then give it a try.

• Visited January 2013
Llandudno, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brill Birthday!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Took my fella out here for his birthday, Had heard mixed reviews around town but wanted to see for ourselfs but we where so impressed with the service and food 'pulled pork' was amazing, juicy, melt in the mouth, carn't wait to go again BIG complements to the chef Danny who was working that night and we would highly recommend, can not wait to go again. Loved listening to the old american style music, and watching the chefs cook on the open kitchen such an experience and completely different to anything else you get around here.

• Visited December 2012
“Staff Very Attentive”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The staff will make this place a success, they are very attentive and pleasant. Food was average not sure I would go back as it's not really good value for money. Typical American food, however my meal came on a wooden plate so it was not possible to combine my coleslaw with the rather dry chicken breast, also fries came in an enamel mug which looked nice but wasn't practical.

Visited January 2013
Ruthin, United Kingdom
“Very Good.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Me and my partner tried Harvey's after hearing at advertised on the radio. It sounded good on the radio and lived up to our expectations. We tried it for lunch this last Wednesday and it looks very good and inviting from the outside.

We were welcomed well and were given a complimentary cup full of freshly made still warm popcorn which we thought was a very nice touch. The interior is obviously very American, which is what you would expect, it was very clean and presentable. The pictures on the wall added to the atmosphere without being too "in your face" like I find with Frankie & Benny's. The waitress was efficient and polite.

I had the American Burger, which was good and it came with a side of "fries" and some 'slaw. The burger was very filling, topped with bacon & cheese, the fries were tasty and the 'slaw was excellent. My partner had the margherita pizza off the lunch menu, which she enjoyed. The portions were very filling, but perhaps lunch time options are limited and it seemed more of an evening meal type of place to me, unless you have a big appetite.

We will be back for an evening meal when we next go to the Cinema in Llandudno. I would highly recommend.

• Visited January 2013