Open today: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Excellent Attitude

Reviewed 4 days ago
moles_35
Walsall, United Kingdom
The Russian State Ballet and Opera House present "Giselle" accompanied by Orchestra of over 30 musicians.

RUSSIAN STATE BALLET ~ "GISELLE" [7/11/2018] This was a very enjoyable evening. I am a regular... read more

GFCONWY
Conwy, United Kingdom

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Llandudno
from $9.20
More Info
from $157.10
More Info
All reviews great theatre dirty dancing box office modern theatre pre show ken dodd sea front north wales performance stage auditorium panto tickets audience seating cast opera
Reviewed 4 days ago

This venue is as described in reviews as being excellent with a varied programme of events. Our review however is purely about the staff, management and their response to a dilemma which we found ourselves in.
We were visiting Llandudno in July and had a show booked for the evening when we received a call from home which meant we needed to return immediately.
Although the terms and conditions on our show ticket stated no refunds and non transferable, when we explained the situation to the receptionist at Venue Cymru she checked with the manager. The result was that they gave us a voucher for the value of our tickets to be used at a later date for which we were very grateful.
On our next visit to Llandudno in September we were able to use our vouchers to enjoy a fantastic evening with G4.

RUSSIAN STATE BALLET ~ "GISELLE" [7/11/2018]
This was a very enjoyable evening. I am a regular theatre goer; Venue Cymru is wonderfully welcoming and accessible. The Venue is a contemporary comfortable locale, but primarily it offers very good value for money, and a range of discount opportunities.

Many of the Ushers are volunteers, trained in a customer-centric rather than business-centric service. The Ushers have back-up to deal quickly and respectfully with visitors causing offence.

Maintaining an ambient temperature in any theatre can be problematic, last night people in my row looked comfortable without resorting to their outdoor wear to keep warm, but hey, where's the shame in layering up if you are chilly.

Alcohol in the auditorium is now standard, in most theatres, it has been for a long time. In keeping with other public events Venue Cymru will not allow glass in the auditorium.

Wednesday last I was at the West End performance of Les Miserables, a superb life-affirming evening. Thus, I'm not sure what "class" is represented in public gatherings? Neither do I understand how it's relevant, compared to the prime objective of the Company - either in the Capital City or North of Watford.

If Llandudno is 'provincial' then its theatre compares favourably with Shaftesbury Avenue. The relative accessibility, the lower costs of travelling, of dining and the ticket tariff are reasons to tag Venue Cymru as provincial, if you wish, but not less professional or worthy.

Perhaps it’s kinder to keep one’s own council regarding other theatre goers when patronising the Arts. More importantly, for all theatre-goers, should one feel insulted by someone's behaviour it would be more helpful to speak-out appropriately, in context and at the time. GF

Reviewed 1 week ago

We had the great pleasure of watching the Russian State ballet perform Giselle last night. It was a stunning performance by an amazing cast.
The downside was the venue. At best this “shed” of a place was barely warm. I was also astounded at the fact that old women were wandering into the auditorium with glasses of ale. Some were even moving around the theatre to other seats whilst the ballet was being performed. The place was like Wetherspoons with classical music. Where has class gone. The people behind us were unwrapping sweets and stuffing their faces. What a dreadful place. No more provincial performances for me until this place has some rules about behaviour. Would you believe that one person was even filming the performance on her iPhone?

1  Thank tonycaegarw
Reviewed 1 week ago

Our first time going here we saw Caro Emerald absolutely fantastic show it was amazing!!!! Sound system incredible all brilliant, staff there are all very nice, chatting to a nice gentleman who works there in bar area part where you go into the theatre, nice ladies on the doors where you go in, a lovely theatre! We d seen Caro Emerald once before in a big arena so limited on what we could see unless you looked on the big TV, but this location was great to see her performance great view of everything her and her very talented band, clean and tidy, toilets all clean too, really recommend here and would definitely go again to see shows the seating is very good found it to be comfy! Open a bit like a deck chair, a brilliant night at Venue Cymru!!

1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic night had by all 7 of us . The singers were amazing and involved the audience and encouraged everyone to dance . Just brilliant

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I watched shrek on opening night, apparently the head of the company was there as heard staff talking..It didnt stop them from being rude or annoying to customers tho.
Shrek seemed brilliant for kids probably a must see show, the dragon was amazing and I personally liked the choreographed dancing of soldiers, funny bits, nice humour.
There was afew things that was annoying and I always state them if the experience overall wasnt amazing. The swivvel doors on entrance stop while you are in them (told temperamental by staff) Upon coming to the theatre theres an older male usher who didnt say a word but just rudely put his hand out for tickets (I guessed he wanted tickets) I would of been carrying 2 drinks atleast but still rude bad customer service! He later came in on the showing and was basically behind me talking to himself and laughing at rude jokes (breaking wind jokes) that was distracting and annoying/rude also another member of staff came in a female and sat in front of us in the 2nd half to get a free showing restricting our a view abit more.
I recognised her as she was the one I told we got locked out in the half way interval as the side doors got shut, she said nothing just looked at me.
The interval went on longer than stated, Afew people went outside and we took some pics by the beach I think we had 30 min or 20 min break but show didnt start again till 40mins later. I had to ask how long was the break as I had no idea. We had to try and get back in through the main doors but seemed to be off, no one was around but the disabled door worked, I understand certain doors will get closed or maybe shouldnt be opened but afew customers will go out and smoke and we went outside for a breather instead of drinks but for no one to be at the main doors seemed silly.
I booked some seats knowing they were restricted but read online somewhere on venue cymru that there is a railing and if tall enough it makes no difference..I probably got the seat numbers wrong as we couldnt see 1 side of the stage and could see actors behind props and off stage.
I chose those seats so fully accept that but its just a warning to customers if you pick seats on the outside :)
It was a good show but as Im not a theatre expert I personally couldnt tell wether it was mimed the whole way through on a c.d. There was no mistakes, no breathing on mics..special effects were played through the speakers and mimed but was all seamless.
There was no mistake, no stutter, no off key moment. It seems hard to tell , If theres no miming all actors did an amazing job that should be appreciated but I left having no idea. Also there was green lighting as you entered and that made it more fun and exciting even as an adult.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Paid £40 to see calendar girls which I can't fault the show but....The seats are so uncomfortable. Hard, thin padding and no leg room even for a 5 foot 2 lady like myself. They feel very cheap and crammed in. Did actually distract from our enjoyment of the show I'm afraid. All bars ran out of bottles of water. Not enough ladies toilets. Not going to rush back unless I hear they have applied proper padding to seats as a minimum. Car park also atrocious. Not enough spaces and packed like sardines.

1  Thank Welshlady46
VenueCymru, Marketing Officer at Venue Cymru, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking your time to write this review in regards to your recent visit to Venue Cymru. We are sorry to hear that you were not comfortable in the seating in the theatre auditorium, this comment will be passed to our Management Team and we will make a note of this for future development plans when funding allows. We really don't want this to deter you from returning to Venue Cymru in the future, please could you email info@venuecymru.co.uk with your details (and a brief explanation of the issues encountered on the evening) so that we can contact you directly in regards to this.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Four of us attended last night for the much acclaimed Calendar Girls. The show was amazing. Unfortunately the comfort of the seats were not! All around us were also complaining about the cramped leg room and hard seats. We found it difficult to enjoy the show due to discomfort. Seats for shows are not cheap and a bit of comfort and breathing space would be appreciated. This auditorium is in need of a refurbishment. Sitting in an uncomfortable position being unable to move for a few hours is detrimental to health and may cause clotting disorders and Musculoskeletal problems and pain. I won’t be rushing back But a huge well done to the cast of Calendar Girls

2  Thank WendyLloydDavies

Thank you for your recent review in regards to your visit to Venue Cymru to see Calendar Girls. We are sorry to hear that you were not comfortable in the seating in the theatre auditorium, this comment will be passed to our Management Team and we will make a note of this for future development plans when funding allows. We really don't want this to deter you from returning to Venue Cymru in the future, please could you email info@venuecymru.co.uk with your details (and a brief explanation of the issues encountered with the seating) so that we can contact you directly in regards to this.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great show, really enjoyed it. Had lunch in the theatre restaurant. The food and service was excellent. Seeing 3 dolphins jumping around in the bay as we ate was a great bonus.

Thank you for your lovely review in regards to your recent visit to watch Calendar Girls at Venue Cymru. We are very pleased to hear that you had such a lovely time, at the show and for your lunch at the Y Review restaurant. How wonderful to have seen the dolphins in the bay whilst dining too! We hope we will be able to welcome you back to Venue Cymru again in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Came to see Awful Auntie, which was an excellent production. Found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The theatre has a very good restaurant, which has wonderful sea views. When I reserve a table, I always ask for a table by with window, Venue Cymru does Llandudno proud.

3  Thank Deceangli