“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #38 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Ambassador Hotel in January 2013 which we had booked through Groupon. We did expect a smallish room but we stayed in the Richmond Spa room on the 1st floor and it was a lovely big room, with king size bed and double aspect windows. The room was lovely and clean and warm, in fact too warm as the windows didn't open (but found out 1 did just before we checked out!!). Staff friendly and helpful and food in the evening was tasty and hot with a good choice, breakfast was also very good with plenty of choice.

The hotel does need updating but the friendly and helpful staff more than make up for that. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor corner room (Richmond Spa) was a lovely room with great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spent a few nights here after obtaining an online discount. It's a Victorian building with a typically basic room layout. The shower/WC area was particularly cramped.
However, it's situated in an excellent location on the seafront. The food was good and Ana, our waitress was all smiles and very helpful at all times.

2 Thank Croftmanic
Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on a KGB deal with a meal on the second night. It was great value for money. The staff were very helpful and nothing was to much trouble. The food was good with a good selection and the drinks in the bar were reasonable. There is limited parking on the car park for £3.50 per day which needs to be booked in advance. We upgraded to a sea view room at the side. The rooms are nicely decorated though the bathroom could have been a bit cleaner.

The down side was the beds and bedding. Our bed had blankets on, no duvets, which I haven't seen since I was a kid. Also, the bedspread had stains on and the sheets and pillowcases were poor quality. I feel that the bed is the most important part of a hotel room and this was definitely a down side. A little bit a TLC to this wouldn't go amiss. Otherwise a good place to stay in a good central location.

4 Thank Julie C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked a weekend deal through Mighty Deals, £89 for a 2 night stay with breakfasts on both mornings and 3 course dinner on second night, supposedly worth £189?? I think not!
On arriving we were promptly checked in, then given directions to our room, good job the directions were also on the rear of our check in card as we had to walk through the bar, into the middle of the restaurant, the wonderful smell of food being cooked/served reminded me of school dinners back in 1968, I felt nauseous and headed for the lift, I stepped into the lift/ broom cupboard/coffin and pressed floor 1, I think I may have loosened a filling as it took off like a steam catapult on an aircraft carrier, and then banged my head on the ceiling 2ft above me as it stopped as suddenly as it started.
Up a short flight of stairs to our room, 115. Opened the door and walked in, first impressions were clean and no smells, bathroom was also clean.
The bed was similar to the type you buy from cheap furniture shops, we could feel every spring through the mattress and because of the lack of headboard there was 2 greasy marks on the wall where someone's heads had been.
After a very poor nights sleep? we showered, nice shower, hot and reasonably powerful, we went to breakfast, we chose the full English, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 sausage type thing, too much rusk to class it as a sausage, 1 egg, half a mushroom, half a tomato, teaspoonful of beans, triangular hash brown, and a piece of flat leaf parsley!! Choice of white or brown toast, we thought we'd live dangerously and have mixed, 1 round of brown, and 1 and a half round of white! Quite interesting watching people bringing Branflakes and peaches? from the serve yourself cereal table, we got out of there quickly and spent the day out.
Later in the evening, having worked up a good appetite, we were ready for our 3 course dinner, quick drink in the bar, good selection of single malts, then into dinner, we ordered our starters, pâté and garlic mushrooms for myself, within 15 seconds the food was served, now either the chef had ESP or the food was on a conveyer belt, either way the two quartered mushrooms I had where cold, and the pâté was served with 1 slice of cold toast, and a very small salad and of course the obligatory piece of parsley, for mains we both had the slow roast lamb, we didn't fancy the roast? salmon. Within 15 seconds the meal was served, some grey meat, to be fair it tasted ok, in jus with 2 new potatoes and some onion marmalade type stuff, the seasonal veg was peas, tablespoonful, and broccoli, 2 florrets well overcooked, pudding was pear crumble or tiramisu served with cream or custard, ice cream or cheese board, I had the crumble, my other half chose the cheese board, but we were wise to the game by now, she asked for a piece of each, but not the sample size given to others, at least enough to overpower the taste of the crackers, I think the waiter took pity on us and forgot? to take the grapes and celery away, only 4 grapes allowed! We ate them all, I think he forgot to charge us the extra £3 for the cheeseboard also.
Breakfast this morning was better as we knew how to play the game now, double portions!
We will not be going back in a hurry, and we will not recommend this hotel, the staff, all foreign, were very helpful and courteous, but the hotel is desperate for a makeover to bring it in to this decade. Finally, if you do decide to visit this hotel take your own entertainment, unless you want to join the scrabble club, and we would have asked for a room changed had it not been fully? booked!!! If you insist on visiting, don't mention the war!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Ainsdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

we have stayed at this hotel 5 or 6 times now and always found this hotel to be a very good one the food is excellent the rooms are clean staff very helpful and friendly and you could not hope for a better location we will be returning soon

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to the Ambassador with Mighty Deals as a remembrance of our honeymoon which we had last year there.and we were looking forward to it!!. The staff were lovely, very helpful but the bombshell was the room. We had lovely views but it was stifling in the room despite turrning the aadiators off, there was no ventilation, the windows could not be opened. the room was very tired and almost depressing. The bathroom, every time the light was put on the motor kicked in which at night wasn't very nice for those in the next room. The lino in the bathroom needing replacing as it was ripped in several places. There was no lock on the bathroom door and the bath panel was starting to come away at the end nearest the toilet. I appreciate that these are cosmetic things but they are things that should be attended to. For the price the room was adequate for our needs. on going down for the evening meal I was so disappointed. There were only two choices on the menu whereas last year there were more. As I couldn't eat pork or chicken leg I was forced into having a salad which was the only other alternative.which was not enjoyable so instead of having a nice pudding I had cheese and biscuits to fill me up. The following night I went down hoping it was a one off. Roast chicken mmm lovely so I thought, I asked for white meat only, thinking it would be sliced I was presented with a chicken leg with breast The chef told the waitress that it was breast so she brought it out to me,she saw I wasn't very happy and offered to take it away I declined and said that I would eat what I could, two bites and I was so off put I couldn't eat it I filled up on vegetables. I enjoyed the desert tho. At no point was I asked if everything was alright.the only people concerned were the people on the next table. Breakfast was good. I don't think that I would go again unless I found out that there had been a big change The waiting staff were foreign and had difficulty at times in understanding what was said.

1 Thank kay j
wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

stayed in room 107,really big room and bath/shower room with a partial view of the sea and little orm.
the staff were really help full and nothing was too much trouble.
the meals were exelent,the breakfast was more than enough.
there was great entertainment on the friday but nothing on the satarday,which was a shame.
the only down side was the price of the drinks,house wine on offer at £16 per bottle.

2 Thank helgw