“Anniversary” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Anniversary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to the Ambassador with Mighty Deals as a remembrance of our honeymoon which we had last year there.and we were looking forward to it!!. The staff were lovely, very helpful but the bombshell was the room. We had lovely views but it was stifling in the room despite turrning the aadiators off, there was no ventilation, the windows could not be opened. the room was very tired and almost depressing. The bathroom, every time the light was put on the motor kicked in which at night wasn't very nice for those in the next room. The lino in the bathroom needing replacing as it was ripped in several places. There was no lock on the bathroom door and the bath panel was starting to come away at the end nearest the toilet. I appreciate that these are cosmetic things but they are things that should be attended to. For the price the room was adequate for our needs. on going down for the evening meal I was so disappointed. There were only two choices on the menu whereas last year there were more. As I couldn't eat pork or chicken leg I was forced into having a salad which was the only other alternative.which was not enjoyable so instead of having a nice pudding I had cheese and biscuits to fill me up. The following night I went down hoping it was a one off. Roast chicken mmm lovely so I thought, I asked for white meat only, thinking it would be sliced I was presented with a chicken leg with breast The chef told the waitress that it was breast so she brought it out to me,she saw I wasn't very happy and offered to take it away I declined and said that I would eat what I could, two bites and I was so off put I couldn't eat it I filled up on vegetables. I enjoyed the desert tho. At no point was I asked if everything was alright.the only people concerned were the people on the next table. Breakfast was good. I don't think that I would go again unless I found out that there had been a big change The waiting staff were foreign and had difficulty at times in understanding what was said.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kay j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

stayed in room 107,really big room and bath/shower room with a partial view of the sea and little orm.
the staff were really help full and nothing was too much trouble.
the meals were exelent,the breakfast was more than enough.
there was great entertainment on the friday but nothing on the satarday,which was a shame.
the only down side was the price of the drinks,house wine on offer at £16 per bottle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank helgw
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

As a few others have commented the hotel appearance is a little tired and in need of a makeover but make no mistake the service and quality of the food totally overrides any reservations you may have of your stay. I arrived over the weekend of 23/02 and first impressions were that the hotel has a great location but needs some investment on it's internal appearance to maximise its potential. Mind you this would impact price for those who are price conscious. I cannot speak more highly of the staff in this hotel who go out of their way to ensure you have everything you need in a timely manner. The service in the restaurant is attentive without being overbearing and the food is of a very good standard. The courses that really stood out during my stay were the Welsh Lamb main and a seafood platter starter but every course was of a very good standard and a credit to the kitchen. For the price my stay would be hard to beat. So the moral is if you want a palace and pristine appearance then be prepared to pay the price but if you want homely at a price that won't break the bank then take a chance on this place. You won't regret it.

1 Thank Mobster100_Northants
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Ambassador several times but have not stayed for two years.At that time we were told that they knew it needed some work and would be starting work in the winter to update the hotel.This month we returned for a weekend stay.Well the service is still very good but nothing has changed .we went to our room which looked as if the previous occupants had just left.Pillows thrown hap hazard lay ,ruffled covers ,there was know bed head and the wall was stained with other people,s hair grease.The room was very cold.We complained and were moved at extra cost to a "better"room.At least it was warm and there was more space.If a little care was taken to dress the beds properly it would give a better impression.In the bar you can be served very nice tea or coffee by pleasant staff and there is a wide selection of shorts but the furnishings are well past there best.We ate dinner on two nights,what can I say,so old fashioned and dull with overlooked vegetables,not good.The Ambassador is in a wonderful possision on the front but needs some work.We shall not be returning I am sorry to say.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank turk0file
cruises
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Don't go there, it is awful. We have just come back from a two day break, our first impression not bad then everything went wrong. When we booked in we were give the keys to room 218 on opening the door I could not believe the state of the room - no headboard, greasy marks on the wall where people had rested their heads. Old and shabby bedlinen, bed not even made properly, disgusting bathroom and a view of the fire escape and bins!! A DSS doss house, no a three star seaside hotel, I looked round to see if The Hotel Inspector was about as she would had a field day! In fairness to the hotel they offered to move us to an upgraded room on the side of the hotel. This room was slightly better at least the bedlinen was a little newer, maybe by 12 months. It had a double bed and two single beds, I would suggest that whoever is in charge of housekeeping follow their staff around as non of the beds were made properly, the room needed a thorough clean, beds needed to be remade and the bathroom needed gutting, the toilet seat was full of stains, so was the floor, the bath needed a good scrub, the room did not smell fresh, in fact we covered the pillows with towels, surely in this day and age it would not cost much to refurbish the rooms. I cannot understand the good reviews the only thing I can think of is that the hotel must have two sides the one that we saw and another that was kept well hidden! We left a lovely home to get away for a break before going into hospital. When we checked out I asked the receptionist how on earth did the hotel get a three star rating, she said it was inspected every year, they obviously did not go into room 218. It is hotels like this that give our seaside resorts a bad name how can the owners ever imagine that people would sleep in such sub standard conditions. I would like to know what the Welsh tourist Board thought of room 218. I must say that to be fair I feel that the reception staff dealt with complaints with a cheerful disposition as I know of at least three couples who asked to be moved!!

4 Thank paulinehickson1

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed at the Ambassador many times, and will return. We do always choose a sea view room, and would recommend anyone contemplating a stay to do the same. If you calculate the cost of meals against the charge for the "back" rooms, it is clear that you are being charged very little for the room. It is worth paying extra to get the wonderful views from the front of the hotel. The staff are always friendly and very helpful, nothing is too much trouble, and we feel as if we are staying with friends. The food is always excellent, and we would recommend the bar lunches which are extremely good value, and far better than many lunches that we have paid a great deal more for. To "honeyparrie" I would say, since when was a cleaner the person to see when you have a complaint? Do the hotel the courtesy of complaining to the right person.

Room Tip: For a real treat, try the Richmond room. If not available, go for a sea view.
2 Thank Richmmond67
manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had booked the ambassador hotel on a groups deal. It looked quite nice from the outside and the downstairs was fine - a little tired but no worries - we stay in hotels a lot and are really easy to please. In fact this is the first time I have ever made a complaint on trip advisor - usually I praise hotels. The hotel only had a handful of guests, even so when we got to our room I was very disappointed not only with the size - it was tiny, but it's location -at the back f the hotel overlooking the bins and the car park. Usually things like this would not bother me at all but the bed was so uncomfortable with only a thin sheet covering the mattress and a duvet no more than 1 inch thick. As the hotel was not full it would have better to have given us a better room and then they would have got praise from us and recommendations to friends and relations. But because we had got a cheap deal we automatically got the cheapest room - this is false economy for the hotel. When we went downstairs in the evening we noticed that on the reception area there was a sign saying that you could upgrade to a spa room that night for £5 pppp. This we would have done if we had been informed of this when we checked in 2 hours previously. As we had travelled on from another hotel we did not want to pack our belongings up again to move to another room. Neither myself or my husband slept at all the first night and I wanted to check out after breakfast. However we managed to find a cleaner on our way back to our room and asked if he could do something for us. H e put a duvet over the mattress to make it more comfortable - but did have another duvet spare to replace the 'thin' one. This could be a lovely hotel with lots of potential but I would never stay here again. I cannot believe that they would expect someone to stay in the room that they put us in. I have been on many ' cheap' deals but have never been made to feel like a second class citizen until this experience.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else where you are not made to feel inferior
3 Thank honeyparrie