“Fantastic holiday”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #35 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Just arrived back from a 5 day coach holiday to Llandudno arranged by C Stevenson & son of Mexborough, to the ambassador hotel.
From start to finish we had an fabulous holiday, the service we received from Cliff & Kath Stevenson was outstanding and the hotel was excellent.
We had a wonderful spa room looking out to sea, fluffy dressing gowns & slippers I was over the moon, everything one needs. Sooooo clean.
Food and service first class, management and staff very helpful. Entertainment each night was very good.
Keep up the good work we will be back!!!

Room Tip: Our room 104 very quiet,sea view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank haydock079

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My girlfriend bookes us on a Groupon deal just after Valentines Day and while I've definitely stayed in better hotels I've also stayed in worse. The hotel is conveniently located on the sea front and was clean and well appointed enough to serve as a base for us to explore Llandudno and like many of the buildings in the town is done in very tasteful Victorian/Edwardian architecture, something I found very appealing indeed. If you're looking for somewhere to get away from the flashy neon and gawdy facades of other seaside towns then Llandudno and hotels like the Ambassador is for you.

Our Groupon offer included dinner, which was certainly nice enough, and tea and scones which I thought was a nice touch but the cooked breakfast buffet was a little subpar I'm afraid to say. I know the quality of food dips when it's being mass produced but I've definitely had better breakfast buffet fare. At the risk of sounding a little controversial a good deal of the staff at the hotel were foreign, Eastern European I think, and I don't think they'd been working in the UK for very long as some of them had trouble understanding us. The car park is behind the hotel and is kind of a squeeze to drive into so if you own a large car you might not be able to get it back there.

On the whole a few niggles but a nice enough hotel and we definitely enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

went on a break with my friend. fortunately we didnt pay full price for the 2 night break we had. reception staff nice enough. lady behind the bar we called "FROSTY" you can guess why. parking is limited only around 6 spaces. trying to get into the car park is a bit dire, you cant have a big car really tight getting in. cost £6.50 for 2 night stay as you can only park on the front for a limited time. there are different levels on the ground floor so no good for the disabled. the lift is horrific only allows one person at a push with bags and it broke down a couple of times while we were there. mainly older people stay at the hotel which i find ok for me but wouldnt be for a younger crowd. the rooms were a good size but the decor is really dated and the carpets were thread bare and very dizzy decor. average bathroom again dizzy decor but nice bath and hot shower. windows were really big and the seaview was amazing. breakfast was fine nothing to shout about. now 2 major criticisms. i walked down the stairs one morning and went flying over the vacuum cleaner wire. glad it was me and not someone who was elderly they would have broken their neck i was fuming. secondly the toilets downstairs, the lights only come on once you have locked the door. unfortunately for me i ddnt realise there was wee all over the floor so my trousers were wet and yet again was fuming. the staff didnt seem to be that bothered about it! i wouldnt stay here again the George across the road seems to be a better hotel.

Room Tip: i would ask for ground floor the lifts are awful!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lynne186356
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We checked in at 7pm and checked back out at 7.05. We were met by a very pleasant young lady on reception who gave us the key to room 222. The room was dark and dingy but what was the biggest shock was the bed and bed linen. The covers and pillow cases were like old rags, very badly worn and stained. Pulling them back we could see that the bed should have been burned years ago. worn with springs sticking though and stained.

Room Tip: Check the room and be prepared to walk out and find somewhere else.
4  Thank Taff P
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Lovely staff, food and a good bed. Room very tired and in need of some decorating and replacing of furnishings. Stairs and public areas on the upper levels were looking grubby and sometimes threadbare. For what we paid, we had a fair deal.

Room Tip: Room on third floor spacious, but at the back of the hotel accessible by stairs and a lift which if...
2  Thank Julie_deb_Coventry
Reviewed July 26, 2012

i worked and lived in this hotel some 30 years ago and i can see so many improvements that have been made and they are still continuing with them,the only thing i would say is that the room at the back we had was ready for brightening up as the decor was looking tired,but given a little more time it will all look fantastic. the staff are all very helpful and nothing we asked for was too much trouble for them,and as for the food it couldn't be found fault with, it was all home cooked and the portions were good, we will definatly return later this year.
just to mention that its great that they also allow dogs under a certain height for a modest charge.

Room Tip: the room we had at the back had a great veiw of the great orm although the decor was a bit tired loo...
2  Thank karen h
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel in June, using a two night groupon offer.
After reading the reviews I was more than a little sceptical, but to be honest it was an absolutely lovely little hotel.
The hotel is old and has a long history, which is detailed in the very informative information packs in the bedroom. Unfortunately my partner and I booked last minute so the only room available was a twin single beds. However the room was a VERY good size for two people, with quirky original features, like a sink in the main bedroom - very novel. The twin beds weren't a problem as we simply pushed them together.
Our view was of the car park, but we were not there to sit in the room and look out the window, not when there are so many nice things to do in Llandudno within just a short walk of the hotel.
Llandudno itself is probably the closest I have witnessed to a "classic british beach resort" and the hotel fitted this theme nicely. Old fashioned as it was, the hotel was largely clean with plenty of seating areas to enjoy the afternoon. Check in was easy and informative and we were even able to check in early which was convenient.
We also paid the rate for dinner on both nights. The menu is relatively old fashioned, but we found that there was a good amount of choice for the three course set menu each night. The food came VERY quickly and it was pleasant enough. It is obviously not a gourmet restaurant, but the food was very enjoyable, though I believe it is pre-prepared, to ensure it is delivered to the table quickly. The restaurant itself is perhaps a little too small. The tables are very close together, but each room is allocated a table which they use for breakfast and dinner throughout their stay, so you get to know the other guests around you quite well, which is nice.
The dinner and breakfast times are very limited. You can attend dinner between 19:30 and 20:30 for example and that is all. Extended hours would contribute to the room feeling a little less claustrophobic. But the waiting staff are all very friendly and attentive. We stayed on a sunday and monday night, so the menu was different both nights, but I am not sure if it changes every day or every week.

We also asked for advice on where to go in town one evening and the reception staff were extremely helpful, sending us to a nice little bar on the highstreet which we would not have found ourselves.

Also we spent the monday evening in the bar at the hotel and there was a lady there singing songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s. She was lovely and very entertaining and the crowd was generally a mature crowd, so it suited the audience well. But my partner and I also really enjoyed the evening.

The lift is very very small. But it is old fashioned and again, probably the original lift installed. My partner and I both found it to be quite quaint and liked the fact that it is the kind of lift you don't really see anymore. It adds charcater to the hotel.

My one complaint would be the cleanliness of the bathroom. The room was very clean and there were plenty of spare pillows and blankets in the wardrobe. However, the toilet had a dubious stain on the seat and I used the shower (which was very small, but sufficient enough for me, though my partner could not fit in it) and threw my towel over the top of it and an empty shampoo bottle from another guest fell off of the top of the shower. It couldnt be seen, but it suggests the shower hadn't been cleaned particularly well.

All in all we had a lovely stay and would definately go back to this classic little hotel bang on the seat front, within good walking distance from all the attractions.

Room Tip: If you have any problems, don't get angry about them and say nothing. Speak politely to the staf...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple