“really good”

The Kensington Hotel
Ranked #41 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have just visited this hotel and was impressed, The staff were friendly and the food was good I would return. The room was clean and had been refurbished to a good standard. The location was in a good place and was close to shops etc. I~ did read other reviews, and on some I was not sure that they stayed in the same hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennie M

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed for a weekend at this hotel . Price did not meet my expectations , the food was well below top , my room was well cleaned . The staff was very polite except for the hotel manager . I did not expect that such a hotel will have so incompetent manager .I will not visit this hotel again and I will not recommend it to my friends.
My recommendations to Kensington hotel are to train very well the manager and to improve the quality of food.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Erika593
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I agree with a previous reviewer that the location and parking availability are this hotel's saving grace. There has been what appears to be a poor attempt at refurbishing rooms, and the communal areas sported odd pieces of bric a brac that looked as if they came from a charity shop. Beds were atrocious, felt as if I we were sleeping on a board. We had twin room at the front and a huge double glazed window opened in, this appears to be an accident waiting to happen. The outside of the window could have easily been cleaned but was really dirty. Full Welsh breakfast very poor quality and not very hot, there was a fairly decent choice of cereal but the choice of bread came down to large sliced brown or white!! We did not have an evening meal so unable to comment on the quality of that. We found waiting on staff at breakfast very friendly and accommodating. Front desk staff also ok. As with a previous reviewer I also consider that meal times were regimented and ludicrous. Only 1 hr allocated for breakfast 8.30am to 9.30am and dinner served at 6.30pm. Booking in time of 3.00pm I do not feel is acceptable even though we were offered the opportunity to leave the car in the car park if we arrived prior to this time. The room offered very little in the way of storage, no wardrobe just an open fronted hanging space, and very little drawer space.Bathroom was clean and adequate, bath & shower were ok. Hospitality tray was very sparse with only 2 sachets of coffee, 4 teabags and milk, no hot chocolate, no cream, no biscuits! I compared this with lots of other hotels we have stayed in, some costing less and some only a little more and found this hotel sadly lacking. I would say it was way overpriced. Perhaps we were paying for the "entertainment" which we had no interest in whatsoever. Would definitely not return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just come back from a 3 night stay and apart from the location and parking facilities would not choose to stay here again. A very dated establishment, with a foisty smell, apart from bedroom, and even in there we couldn't open the windows!!!! Reception give a Very poor greeting upon arrival and during whole of stay, costs nothing to smile! Breakfast poor quality food and times for evening meal are ridiculous. Unable to get afternoon tea or snacks. Once fully modernised and with some serious staff trsining could be a gem.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Snailers
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We recently spent a one night stay at the Kensington at the start of August 2012 and were very disappointed to find out we were practically staying at a builders yard! The fact that the Kensington was under renovation was not stated when we booked. We were greeted by a series of broken door frames and handles, mismatched doors, worn out dusty carpets in need of a good clean and pieces of paper stuck on the door with handwritten room numbers! - and i could go on!! If you are planning on an evening out then the Kensington is not the place to stay - We were told that we needed to be back in the hotel by 10pm or we would be locked out - our plans were then ruined! I have to stress that this hotel is NOT for young couples!!!!! Or in fact families with young children! VERY OLD, VERY DATED, and VERY BASIC!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank charl0414
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My Mum and I have just had four relaxing days here and we had a lovely twin room on the front. The breakfast was very good and nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. We are going back again soon. Thanks to everyone that helped us.

Room Tip: we had a lovely room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank woodward191278
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at the Kensington for a weekend break with a group of friends and the welcome we received from the young lady at Reception was excellent! So pleasant and polite which is a refreshing change in this day and age from some receptionists we have met.
The room had been refurbished and although it wasn't enormous it was quite big enough and the bathroom was perfectly adequate although the mirror was set quite high and difficult to see into for a those of us who are a little on the short side.
Breakfast was good and there was a varied choice - the bacon was delicious.
All in all very good value for money and we would certainly consider staying again for a short break.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends