The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$202
$360
The Manor Hotel(Llandudno)
$145
  • Breakfast included
The Broadway Hotel(Llandudno)(Great Value!)
$99
$98
Toprooms.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Bay County Hotel(Llandudno)(Great Value!)
$69
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,943 results
All reviewsnational holidaysbit datedplenty of choicea sea view roomshort breakstansingerormeprom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed here with a friend who was recently widowed and we each paid a £30 premium for single rooms. The rooms were dismal and small; little more than six foot wide and with filthy windows. We each had one picture on the wall of a hunting scene. The rooms were an insult.
My room was almost directly above the lounge where the evening entertainment was held. This meant noise until 1 o'clock in the morning. But my friend, who was lucky enough to have a room at the other end of the corridor didn't hear any of it.
The food was pretty average. There was plenty of it but the only breakfast tomatoes were the tinned type swimming in juice, which you either love or hate.
I must mention the prawn cocktail starter that we were really looking forward to
on the dinner menu. Unfortunately, it had all gone by 6.30. I felt sorry for the young serving lad who had to spend the next hour and half apologising to the many disappointed guests.
The hotel has two small lifts but during our stay only one was actually in operation and on the final day, when many guests needed to bring suitcases down several flights of stairs, this was a particular problem considering that many of the guests are elderly.
Mealtimes are staggered according to which particular coach party you are with. Guests queue outside the dining room and wait to be told when there is a table available. However, because there is an insufficient number of dining room staff you have to wait longer than is really neccessary. Again, on the day you depart the Grand this is a problem. The coaches all needed to leave around the same time but there isn't the dining room capacity to accommodate everyone. Tempers became frayed and staff were less than helpful.
On the positive side - the reception and bar staff were helpful. The bed linen and towels were clean and fresh.
I received a reply to my letter of complaint. Briefly, it said that many guests return year after year and were quite happy with things the way they are. So I don't expect there will be any improvements.
This hotel is not at all Grand and I will definitely not be returning to it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank jmaggieb
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We booked the hotel on the friday night and arrived saturday at 5.00pm , finding parking was not difficult and we only paid £5.00 for 24 hours! We must have been lucky considering the other reviews.... We had our puppy shih tzu with us and our room was on the top floor room 429. My partner and I are frequent travellers and have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world so with regards to a 3 star at llandudno we expected nothing more than what we got which was cheap and cheerful and very last minute. We were actually quite suprised as I was expecting a right dump for a cheap price, but the hotel is very clean and the staff were lovely. Yes it is a throw back era but that is just the place in general so before you book a llandudno hotel please take this into consideration or just go else where E.G manchester or Liverpool for your more exciting times! My only complaint was that the dog was charged £10.00!!! What for???

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We arrived on Friday afternoon on the 9th, I was lucky to find a parking space relatively near by. The appearance from outside the hotel is totally depressing when you enter it is.I booked a double standard room as I thought that £195 for three night two people B&B was enough to pay. Well the lift takes forever to get to you there are two, but one was out of order the whole time we was there.The room overlooked the road and the entrance, it was the smallest room I have ever stayed in one could just about move around the bed, the shower was so small you could not turn round in it.. The balcony was covered in moss and to be quite honest I was fearful of standing on it as it looked so unsafe.The meal we paid for on the Friday night was okay and the one breakfast that we had was adequite but nothing to write home about.The windows so dirty you can hardly see through them.We stayed Friday night and Saturday night but we had had enough so I forfeited the next night and left before breakfast on Sunday. You could not classify this hotel as it is so bad,we will return to Llandudno but not to the Grand

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peddler2
Reviewed July 3, 2010

From the distinct lack of parking spaces, to the damp patches and tea stains up the wall - this hotel epitomises your stereotypical "Phoenix Nights" style hotel. The decor is horrendous, the rooms are so old fashioned, the lack of shower was disappointing, the rusty balcony an eyesore and the noise when the room next to you use their bathroom is quite frankly beyond ridiculous. The entertainment is "painful", karaoke especially - full of your cheesey middle age gents with their buttons on their shirts open too far, doused in Old Spice, doing the wink and gun when singing. And who the hell repeatedly puts sunglasses on and off to differentiate when they are singing the Elton John part of "Don't Let
The Sun Go Down On Me?" The whole experience was so bad, it was funny. If you don't laugh about how bad it is, you will have a breakdown.
Don't go expecting anything other than a scene from Cocoon with the odd chav thrown in.

4  Thank Lillies79
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I REALLY wish I had read the last 2 reviews before booking this hotel. I fully concur with them. I am writing this from my room and can not wait to check out tommorow morning! I could forgive this hotel it's lack of facilities and faded decor if ANY of the staff had been friendly, but they have not. Never ever coming back.

3  Thank MoreWish