“Grand location, nothing else grand about it”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I've rated this as OK for one reason only - it cost me nothing. You can book with Britannia Hotels using Tesco Clubcard Deals & as I have ways of accumulating hundreds of pounds worth of deals each quarter, I look to "spend" them on short breaks.

I booked this hotel before looking at any reviews purely on the location. I now find it to be 56th out of 72 reviewed hotels. How did it get so high? Knowing Llandudno, the location can't be faulted - I presume it's that. I booked a "Premier" family room for 2 nights & this "cost" £275 for 2 nights B&B. Thank God this wasn't in cash - I would have slit my wrists if the family hadn't got to my throat first.

No parking at the hotel at all - disabled spaces on street that fill up quick when you look at the age/infirmity of the average guest. When the first notices you see on entering a hotel are "Guests are asked not to operate lift buttons with their walking sticks" & "Would guests please take care not to hit walls & paintwork with their mobility scooters", it kind of sets the tone.....

Room was on the 5th floor via 2 lifts & a winding walk. This gives you chance to experience the hospital green doors & peeling badly painted woodchip wallpaper. Into the "Premier" room - more woodchip, dark cheap furniture in a room with little natural light. Nice balcony with 2 green plastic garden chairs that were once clean & what looked like months of seagull feathers fluttered nicely in the breeze over the discarded fag ends. Feeling dirty, you enter the bathroom - large room, more woodchip freshly painted yellow. This used to be white as you can see the many paint splashes on the tiles. There's quite a fetching pattern of cigarette burns along the edge of the shelf over the toilet - ah happy days when you could have a fag while you shaved. Mouldy shower curtain but only along the bottom inch to be fair. Weeks worth of black slime round the bottom of the bath taps & under the wallmounted handrail.

Back into the bedroom - dirt inside (?) the drawers & hairballs in the corners on the floor. Perhaps their usual clientele can't see that well but even so.......Generous with the tea/coffee though.

Next day & down to breakfast. A "Premier" room allows you to sit in the outer area of the dining room with wide sea/resort views. A shame then that the windows were so filthy. I know it must be hard to keep seafacing windows clean but at least make an effort. No money is wasted in providing decent quality ingredients for the "recently cooked & then kept warm for ages under lights" breakfast - I know Tesco Value sausage & bread when I see them. I won't criticise the coffee though - I will be old & weak myself one day.

The economic apartheid is strictly enforced - God help any "Standard" people who nip in the "Premier" room to pick up a couple of tinned button mushrooms from the buffet - the friendly Polish waitress with the limp shoos them away pronto (she was the best thing in the hotel by far.....)

I could go on but whats the point? In all seriousness, if you stay here, treat it like camping. It's rough & ready, not terribly clean & you can survive it for a couple of nights if you are willing to rough it. There's a Happy Hour downstairs from 12 noon until 7.30pm - you could get drunk enough in that time to believe that you're staying in a Grand Hotel.

If you are crazy enough to pay cash, you can get the "Premier" room for £100 a night DB&B apparently - evening meal opens up the opportunity of "Creamed Leeks" - can't wait.............

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank TescoBoy

Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days......so it began by booking at The Grand.
After reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor we were a bit worried but always like to make our own minds up.
To be honest we didnt pay a lot and even paid a supplemant to upgrade to the Premier. We had a lovely room with sea view and balcony that looked straight across Llandudno. When booking Premier you get to dine in the Sea View Restaurant (We were really lucky and had a table next to the Window). The food was great, really could not fault it considering what we had paid for it.
Staff are very friendly and helpfull.

Sometimes I just feel that some people only go on Holiday to moan and to pick fault .....But at the end of the day i needed a break and got just what I wanted at The Grand.

Entertainment is superb. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JonesChester
Reviewed August 3, 2008

The Grand hotel may have been a grand hotel in its heyday,but now it certainly is not.Our room door did not lock properly.Reported it to be told it would be sorted,but noone did sort the door.One of the 2 lifts was out of order.The entertainment was fine if you like really loud music blasting out of the room.The restertaunt is a joke.You are given a time to go be seated,but you end up having to wait ages,as people who are suppossed to be in before you,turnup when it's your turn,so you have to wait longer to get in the resteraunt.By then the food is either cold,dried up or finished.Parts of the hotel are closed off during the day for ongoing maintinance.We booked a standard room,but if you book a premier room,then you get more privilages.there is a seperate resteraunt and the rooms are of a much better standard.This is not a suitable hotel for children as there is nothing for them to do.If you are a pensioner with a walking frame then expect to have to carry your dinner plates whilst holding onto your frame to collect your food from the buffet,and have along wait queing up to use the only working lift to your room.If you are a smoker,the only designated smoking place is either outside the hotel or a small varanda off one of the bars,which is fine if it's not raining,as there is no shelter.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dougkay64
Reviewed July 30, 2008

The hotel should be closed whilst major refurbishment is carried out before it falls to pieces. The standards are disgusting in every aspect, food quality & presentation, food hygiene, health & safety, customer care, staff training, rooms, dining room, communal areas. The staff are nothing short of insolent and disinterested in any report of the many imperfections present.
The rooms and bathrooms are dilapidated, and the cleaning standards are abysmal. We were not allowed into our room until 4 p.m. on the day of arrival which the Hotel claim is their normal policy. This is allegedly because they have over 320 rooms to clean with insufficient staff - a problem I consider to be the hotel's and not the guests'. The food was disgusting and usually cold, and even the head chef scoffed at complaints about cold food.
How this disgraceful building maintains 4 stars bewilders me as even the wardrobe space was minimal, and the clothes hangers were cast offs from a dry cleaners'. The carpets throughout the hotel, both in the rooms and communal areas, and dining room, were always filthy and had not been cleaned in months, if not years. The second room allotted to us (the first room having suffered a leaking toilet) had a huge hole in the wall which I had to plug with tissues, somebody had tried to kick in the bathroom door,and the shower unit and wash hand basin were disgusting, and even though I poured disinfectant everywhere, the smell of damp and decay was overwhelming.The doorframes in both rooms were badly damaged, as if somebody had taken an axe to them.
Whilst at the hotel, there was a fire alarm and the lack of safety procedures was shocking. No proper checks were made and there was nobody available to assist elderly and infirm guests to manage the staircases down to the ground floor.
The name Grand is a contradiction in terms and the name should be changed to something more realistic. This hotel has not been grand for possibly 50 years or more.
Just don't go there unless you like third world standards.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank cleoanthon
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend break booked through Tesco Clubcard Deals with Britannia Hotels, and had 2 "Premier" rooms on the top (5th) floor.

The rooms were a reasonable size and moderately comfortable but the decor was very "tired" and none to clean although the bed linen and towels were OK. This really reflected the rest of the hotel which is desperately in need of a total renovation although a thorough cleaning would work wonders in the meantime.

We only ate breakfast in the dining room and this was fine with a decent buffet selection of hot and cold food available. The set dinner menu didn't look very appetising.

Parking - there is no car park and very limited (busy) on street parking in the vicinty. There is pay & display parking nearby but again this was busy.

The hotel was mostly full of elderly bus tour guests and this must be the only way it survives as I cannot see how it could possibly stay in business any other way. Evening entertainment was provided but was terrible - we got a dirty look from the entertainer as we left after 5 minutes of his act!

To summarise, although run down and dirty, it sufficed as a base for a couple of days. Had we been booked for any longer I think we would have moved on elsewhere. We certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank reallygrumpytourist
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My wife and I just spent the weekend at this hotel, paid for by Trsco Clubcard vouchers! We had a room right over the sea with fantastic views. The Breakfast and room were fine.

The hotel is a great place to tour the surrounding area. we walked from the beach on the other side of Llandudno to Conwy (?) which was a beautiful place dominated by a castle. Would go back happily.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Groomred
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This was absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! It was extremely expensive for the rooms which were old fashioned and so dirty; I felt I had to sleep with my own towels underneath and on top of me. The breakfast was appalling, greasy & cold. The only good thing was the evening entertainment, but I wish I'd just booked a B&B at half the price across the road and popped in to see the entertainment. Were we recovering after a family bereavement and our stay made us feel even worse! When I explained to the hotel staff that I couldn't stay another night they would not refund my money. I am a regular traveller and can categorically say it is the worse place I have ever stayed!

We are a family of 3 in our 30's with a 4 year old child.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family