“Grandly horrible”

Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom
“Grandly horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed last night,on the 5th floor, no heating, tv with 2 channels, wardrobe on the verge of collapse,horrible musty smell,bathroom cold and unappealing,creaking floorboards is an understatement, the lift from the 4th to 5th floor hasn't been cleaned for some time and as you come out of the lift there is a fag butt which I suspect is still there, there is no excuse for that kind of dirt, if the owners expect their paying guests to stay in such dirty conditions then they have no respect for their guests and therefor don't deserve any!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Polish first
Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

me and my other half stayed at the hotel last night, we played for a standard double room, bot sea view and where allocated a sea view room, the view was very nice, although a little to cold to stand outside to look, we stil enjoyed the view from the inside, we where very impressed with the fact we where in a sea view room, the staff on reception on our arrival where helpful and friendly, although on checkout we copied everyone else and left our key on the desk after waiting around 7 minutes for somekne to come out onto the desk. The only downfall would be how noisy our balcony door was, when opening and closing, the quilts weren't very thick, at all, they where ok though for the price we payed and the Tele was a little out of date and when warching we had lines running down the screen. Nevertheless we where impressed that we had the choose of using extra pillows which where stored in the wardrobe, and we both had a comfortable sleep,we would deffinately stay again!

• Stayed November 2013
Porthmadog, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

As a child walking down Llandudno prom and along the pier I used to look in wonder at the huge building with balconies and say to my mum "can we stay there please" , we never did and I always said that one day I would have that room with a view and balcony! ha!. 35 years later and I finally did it! We stayed in midweek and got a seaview room with breakfast for £49! bargain. I was aware before we went that the hotel had seen better days but I was looking forward to it anyway.

Our room was fine.414 and wow what a view of Llandudno you get. Worth it just for that.You can see right across the entire bay. The bed was huge and comfy and yes the furniture is dated I suppose. The bathroom was modern with a very good shower though and along with our room was clean and tidy.

Bar prices ok.Expected really.San Miguel £3.80.Although double southern comfort and lemonade cost £5.75!? Pricey. We were a young couple with a baby and did feel a little out of place here because it does mainly cater for the older generation but I suppose that at this time of year especially, that this is Llandudno's core buisness .However we still had a laugh and a sing along to the very funny singer/keyboard man.

Breakfast time is buffet style and is good.Plenty of choice and really for the price you pay I can see no cause or complaint.

All staff we encountered were very polite and friendly.

It is going to cost a fortune to bring this hotel up to date and it is a shame because it is in such a fantastic position and again those views... so if you can get a bargain like we did i'd say go for it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eddie w
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I Checked in to the Hotel around 2, Went for some lunch and when I came back I'd decided to grab my bags and book in somewhere else, I didn't even bother asking for a refund.

The room was so tired and basic I honestly couldn't believe it. It smelt of cleaning products and the carpets and floors are far beyond a good wash, they need replacing. When I stepped in the bathroom the floor creaked in a way that made me feel like i shouldn't put water or weight in the bath,

The Location is excellent and the View back to the town was Beautiful, but the rooms and the corridors are so run down that i couldn't possibly stay here. I' a quiet person who doesn't like a row or a fuss, so I just didn't come back. The staff I met with were nice, service was quick, but that's all the positive things i can think of.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.....
1 Thank Gary A

Travelers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We recently had a "Turkey & Tinsel" break at the Grand and although the hotel is okay, they need to take some lessons from the Grand Metropole in Blackpool, because at meal times you had to help yourself to pots of tea and serve yourself with the soup, bearing in mind that there are quite a lot of elderly and disabled people who would find it a struggle dealing with hot drinks and soup, whereas in the Metropole (Blackpool) you were always served with the tea/coffee and first course of soup, but what I can't understand is,they are both owned by Britannia, so why have one rule for one and another rule for the other seems very strange to me.
Also the in house entertainment wasn't up to much, the karaoke was much more entertaining, I do hope that this hotel does make some improvements as it is quite a pleasant place to stay

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night, request a room on a higher floor
3 Thank tonyhorn
Cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

.First impressions on entering the hotel were ok and the reception staff were very helpful with parking advice as there is no car park attached to the hotel. However we were given room 103B, a 'family' room... this was dreadful with 2 beds in it that you could only walk past sideways and the bathroom was poor with no light over the basin. Second room was better size wise but still a poor room... creaky floorboards, a bed that had the springs coming through (had to ask for an extra quilt to LIE on to give some protection from the springs!), poor TV, shower difficult to control temperature. No Wifi, basic TV channels, food wasn't particularly good either, dining room resembled a canteen atmosphere with some (not all) disinterested staff. Hotel is in need of a mega upgrade, but sadly, this once beautiful hotel is going to cost an awful lot of money to put it right. The entertainment was very good and most of the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms overlooking the sea are better!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Firstly let me start by saying this hotel is NOT a modern fully equipped all mod cons establishment with top of the range facilities! This is a fantastic old building that sadly has been allowed to grow tired, BUT is currently receiving a long overdue face-lift and the already spruced up areas of the hotel are looking clean, fresh and very welcoming! Every day we witnessed a decorator of some sort walking through the foyer or in the lift with ladders and paint so work is most definitely happening! Yes it has creaky floorboards (we found them hilarious), yes in some areas of the hotel the corridors are not attractive and I'm guessing they are lower down on the list for the refurbishments, yes the room had a small TV and in our case no remote, but one word to reception and within 10 min a guy turned up with a new remote and problem solved!
We stayed here during the week, first week in Nov.
Our first impressions of the hotel were that it was clean and welcoming and staff were friendly and helpful. We had a room with balcony and sea view on the third floor, the room was very clean, the bathroom had a toilet, bath and shower and was a nice comfortable size and again very clean. The shower was great, nice hot water, plenty of towels and the heater in the bathroom was mainly on but this was ok because it meant it heated the whole room and it wasn't overbearingly warm. The furniture in the room was run of the mill hotel style wooden bed with bedside cabinet and dressing table with lots of drawers with a chair and stool and built in wardrobe with plenty of hangers. again all very clean. There was a kettle and tea and coffee and little milks, more available on request which was not a problem. The balcony was great, yes it had a bit of rust, but it's right on the sea front exposed to sea air and the elements....ANY balcony would get some rust in that situation!! We were very happy with it! The bed was very comfy and sparkly white clean sheets and extra pillows which we were grateful for.
We only had the breakfast 2 days as the third we had some our own food and we agree that it was more than adequate with a good choice of cooked breakfast items. No it wasn't top quality food, but for breakfast it was tasty and filling and most importantly there was loads so it meant we didn't feel hungry until the afternoon! The staff were just normal, friendly, busy doing their jobs! We didn't eat any evening meals here as it's nice to go out to one of the many restaurants in Llandudno and one night we had a takeaway from excellent Indian restaurant. We did have late drinks in the Grand Ballroom after we'd been out for my birthday meal and it was a hoot in there, the entertainment is what we would call 'Retro' and some of the drinks were too....especially Campari which I love but you don't often get in bars etc. The guy playing his synth and entertaining with some pretty bad jokes was actually very funny and what we kind of expected to find! Phoenix Nights eat your heart out! Yes it was funny and I know I am making fun of it but in all honesty the other people who were sitting round having their drinks all looked happy and were enjoying themselves and that makes a very big difference as the atmosphere was really nice. The bar staff were great, easy going types and we had a laugh with the younger bar man Craig who whilst able to have a laugh more on our level was also very polite and attentive to the more older clientele which we felt was nice to see.
For any smokers there are designated areas outside the two bars and outside the hotel entrance so all very convenient.
The cleaning staff came round every day however we opted just to have some clean towels and top up the condiments and change the bin, again nothing was too much to ask and we were more than satisfied with everything. In fact the only criticism I have is that there were too many mirrors in this room!! Everywhere we turned there was our reflection and at one point I even scared myself in the middle of the night :-)!
I would return to stay at The Grand as having the room with the balcony and STUNNING view really gave our holiday a special feel and made my birthday a special day! I would be mindful though of which room I got to stay in, opting to ask for the same room if possible as reading the other reviews it seems to be hit and miss! However saying that I looked inside one of the empty premier rooms when it was being cleaned and it looked spotless and roomy and very nice so I noted down that room number too! At the end of the day if I wasn't happy with my room I would ask to be moved. This hotel is what I would call Comfortable, Cheap and Cheerful with the added bonus of it being fantastically retro which we knew to expect and loved!

5 Thank nrem511