“What a grand joke!”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Don't really know where to start! I have never written a review on here before but felt this hotel was so bad that I had to! Firstly I went for a week with my dear old nan so it wasn't my choosing, it was hers!

This place is so run down, it's a crime that they make people pay for those surroundings! Every window is filthy! What a shame, they have such great views that can't be enjoyed for the sake of having the windows cleaned, they can't have been cleaned in years!

The room;

We had a twin room! It's filthy, really filthy! The bathroom is the worst part, it made me feel sick every time I went in it! Mildew and mould everywhere! Not nice to have a shower in water coming from a black mildew infested shower head!
The carpet in the room is filthy and it hadn't even been hoovered, there was all sorts all over it, food, wrappers from the previous tenants, there was even a rotten grape between my bed and the wall!
The valance sheets on the bed
had old yellow/brown stains on them!
The balcony looked like it was rotting away and hadn't seen a lick of paint in years! The balcony door was broken and consistently didn't lock properly!
There was a mirror on the wall that looked older than me, rusting with stains all over it!
The drawers had crumbs, bits of tobacco and god knows what else in them!

The reception staff are some of the rudest and most unhelpful people I have ever come across!

The food is awful, most of it has very clearly come out of a freezer!

It may seem that I am just moaning about everything but there truly are to many bad points to list!

It is hands down THE worst hovel I have ever stayed in, in my life!

Please refer to photos!

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank BushWhack13
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Book for a quick overnight but as it was a Sunday thought I would stay at what looked as an impressive looking hotel on a recent visit to the town.I should over known the price was to good to be true .On check-in I had to pay up front so no booking food or drink to the room but was told that they took cards at the bar.The room on the fifth floor had a great view of nothing it was small with an old fashion portable tv (it's 2013 get a small flat screen).On going down for a quick walk I noticed the board for the bar with not a bad selection of meals .I asked when ordering a drink if I could set up a tab but was told no I had to pay there and then .I thought that I would order some food at the same time (this was at 9.00pm only to be told that they stopped serving food at 3pm on a Sunday.Llandudno is one of the top resorts in Wales what sort of advert does this hotel give for the visitors of the state of Welsh hotels .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 186459And123
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed one night. Receptionist very pleasent and helpful. Room clean but a little tatty. Great view of the bay. Reasonably priced coffee shop. Buffet breakfast with plenty on choice. Got the room on a special price which made great value. Would stay again.

1  Thank Darren P
Reviewed June 22, 2013

21st June 2013 - Just returned from a 5 day stay at this grubby, dark, filthy hotel which needs a deep clean and full refurbishment. Room very dark with filthy windows and rusty dirty balcony - I bought a cloth and washed the balcony rails and french door windows and then washed all interior surfaces, stained mirrors and dirty marked doors and woodwork. There was a thick level of dust on all surfaces, including skirting boards which also wiped down. The bathroom was disgusting so I washed the floor, toilet, washhand basin and bath before I could use it. Dont think they employ cleaners at this hotel the room looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months!!!

The rest of the hotel was very dull and depressing and was full of coach parties of elderly people jamming up the only 2 lifts in the hotel - which was very annoying as I was with someone in a wheelchair and we had to wait ages to get in the lift. The supposedly "quiet room" had a constant stream of people walking through to get the the smoking area through the patio door. Consequently every time the door opened the cold air and cigarette smoke came into the room and I suffer from asthma! Bit of a strange place to have the hotel smoking area.

Customer service throughout the hotel left a lot to be desired especially in the dining room where the staff seemed to be dashing about clearing up so as to make a quick exit at the end of their shift - they were not at all helpful. The food was awful and constantly running out if you were not one of the first diners in for your meal. On my last day the hot water ran out and on asking for more was told there was no more hot water - so I didn't get a hot drink before setting off on my long journey home.

This hotel is in a prime position and has beautiful views but sadly the interior lets it down

4  Thank june t
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just returned from a trip staying at this hotel, the hotel is lovely in an old fashioned way it does need some updating decor wise, but it has such charm. Our bedroom was a bit gloomy but it was clean, the bed was comfortable and we had a good night sleep. My parents room had lovely sea views and was nicely decorated light and clean. Breakfast was ok good choice it was mass catering as this is a large hotel but the food was hot and plentiful. The reception staff were helpful polite, the same with the restaurant staff, the coffee shop staff were not so friendly one chef there never smiled but the snacks served were tasty.
Would I stay there again no I do not think so only because I prefer the west shore

Room Tip: request a superior room
3  Thank christineLincoln
Reviewed June 17, 2013

we have just returned (we being myself, husband,brother and wife,all in our fifties,and our dad,in his eighties ) from a three night stay at the grand.we had looked at the trip advisor comments beforehand and were going with acertain amount of apprehension,however on arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant lady on reception and although we had arrived earlier than the specified check in time she explained that she could check us in then and that we had also been upgraded to three premier sea view rooms, which automatically entitled us to use the premier dining room.this turned out to be very much in our favour and when I return to the grand iwould certainly book premier upgrade.The rooms were clean the beds very comfortable with spotless white linen,plentiful hot water in the bathroom and clean towels.Yes the décor is a bit dated but to all complainers out there all I can say is if you want 5 star amenities go and pay 5 star prices.The food was plentiful and of acceptable quality not every item was perfect but non e of us ever left the dining room hungry.We enjoyed the entertainment , the team were very pleasant and worked very hard.The only thing I would complain about was the karaoke going on until 1am every night, it should either finish earlier or be kept in the basement ballroom so as not to disturb people who may have gone to bed earlier. Overall we had a lovely stay and would not hesitate in returning.

Room Tip: premier rooms overlooking the bay on a higher floor
3  Thank brian e
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It's difficult to know where to start. The whole place needs an overhaul. The staff seem unhappy in their work and unsure of their roles. Some were diffident, some were overly familiar and some downright rude. We had a premium room, lovely view but grubby. The restaurant staff were conspicuous by their absence and inappropriate in their comments. The person on the door to the restaurant didn't seem to know how to establish what table we needed, he asked random questions like "are they your friends" (No), instead of what's your room number and when we joined in what we though was his jokey style he told us not to be sarcastic. It felt like we, the guests, were a nuisance. This was the case for the majority but not all of the staff.

The whole place needed a good clean, especially the windows and major redecoration.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the bay, premium rooms, have a spectacular view
1  Thank Chris S