“will not be returning”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed June 22, 2013

21st June 2013 - Just returned from a 5 day stay at this grubby, dark, filthy hotel which needs a deep clean and full refurbishment. Room very dark with filthy windows and rusty dirty balcony - I bought a cloth and washed the balcony rails and french door windows and then washed all interior surfaces, stained mirrors and dirty marked doors and woodwork. There was a thick level of dust on all surfaces, including skirting boards which also wiped down. The bathroom was disgusting so I washed the floor, toilet, washhand basin and bath before I could use it. Dont think they employ cleaners at this hotel the room looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months!!!

The rest of the hotel was very dull and depressing and was full of coach parties of elderly people jamming up the only 2 lifts in the hotel - which was very annoying as I was with someone in a wheelchair and we had to wait ages to get in the lift. The supposedly "quiet room" had a constant stream of people walking through to get the the smoking area through the patio door. Consequently every time the door opened the cold air and cigarette smoke came into the room and I suffer from asthma! Bit of a strange place to have the hotel smoking area.

Customer service throughout the hotel left a lot to be desired especially in the dining room where the staff seemed to be dashing about clearing up so as to make a quick exit at the end of their shift - they were not at all helpful. The food was awful and constantly running out if you were not one of the first diners in for your meal. On my last day the hot water ran out and on asking for more was told there was no more hot water - so I didn't get a hot drink before setting off on my long journey home.

This hotel is in a prime position and has beautiful views but sadly the interior lets it down

4  Thank june t
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel - Llandudno

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just returned from a trip staying at this hotel, the hotel is lovely in an old fashioned way it does need some updating decor wise, but it has such charm. Our bedroom was a bit gloomy but it was clean, the bed was comfortable and we had a good night sleep. My parents room had lovely sea views and was nicely decorated light and clean. Breakfast was ok good choice it was mass catering as this is a large hotel but the food was hot and plentiful. The reception staff were helpful polite, the same with the restaurant staff, the coffee shop staff were not so friendly one chef there never smiled but the snacks served were tasty.
Would I stay there again no I do not think so only because I prefer the west shore

Room Tip: request a superior room
3  Thank christineLincoln
Reviewed June 17, 2013

we have just returned (we being myself, husband,brother and wife,all in our fifties,and our dad,in his eighties ) from a three night stay at the grand.we had looked at the trip advisor comments beforehand and were going with acertain amount of apprehension,however on arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant lady on reception and although we had arrived earlier than the specified check in time she explained that she could check us in then and that we had also been upgraded to three premier sea view rooms, which automatically entitled us to use the premier dining room.this turned out to be very much in our favour and when I return to the grand iwould certainly book premier upgrade.The rooms were clean the beds very comfortable with spotless white linen,plentiful hot water in the bathroom and clean towels.Yes the décor is a bit dated but to all complainers out there all I can say is if you want 5 star amenities go and pay 5 star prices.The food was plentiful and of acceptable quality not every item was perfect but non e of us ever left the dining room hungry.We enjoyed the entertainment , the team were very pleasant and worked very hard.The only thing I would complain about was the karaoke going on until 1am every night, it should either finish earlier or be kept in the basement ballroom so as not to disturb people who may have gone to bed earlier. Overall we had a lovely stay and would not hesitate in returning.

Room Tip: premier rooms overlooking the bay on a higher floor
3  Thank brian e
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It's difficult to know where to start. The whole place needs an overhaul. The staff seem unhappy in their work and unsure of their roles. Some were diffident, some were overly familiar and some downright rude. We had a premium room, lovely view but grubby. The restaurant staff were conspicuous by their absence and inappropriate in their comments. The person on the door to the restaurant didn't seem to know how to establish what table we needed, he asked random questions like "are they your friends" (No), instead of what's your room number and when we joined in what we though was his jokey style he told us not to be sarcastic. It felt like we, the guests, were a nuisance. This was the case for the majority but not all of the staff.

The whole place needed a good clean, especially the windows and major redecoration.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the bay, premium rooms, have a spectacular view
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed June 16, 2013

stayed here june 2013 with a group of lady friends, on arrival my 1st thoughts was looks tired and lobby and stairways need a good clean down, there was old vomit stains on the metal stair rails on 1st lot of stairs which was still there when we left, The rooms was upgraded and i must say had fantastic sea views, the beds were lovely and comfortable and very crisp white bedding, the only downside to the room was dirty finger marks on light switches and doors, which is a pet hate of mine as these are the main things where germs spread,so straight away i was washing them with soap and water, the balcony handle was faulty and ended up in our hand a few times, it was lovely to have the curtains open and the lights over the bay at night was a beautiful scene, apart from the rusty balcony frame,, the entertainment room was very old fashioned as was the entertainment although the team did work well, but such a large dance floor but you couldn't get up and dance because this was where the entertainment team did their spot, the kareoke bar was ok and alot of people came in later dont know if it is open to the public but we had a good laugh there, ;it was good for the ones who smoke to be able to walk out of the bar onto the balcony to have a smoke , the bar prices was quite reasonable, and the staff was pleasant and helpful, The restaurant for me was the worse, The food was not presented in an appealing way, the old fashioned dining room was not appealing wasn't clean and not well set out at all, if i dont fancy what is on offer i would have thought well at least a salad will be ok, but even that did not impress, they didn't even have bread rolls it was sliced bread,in fact the food put me off that much i ate out the 2nd night, breakfasts also was not set out in an appealing way, the plates was chipped, dirty or wet every one i picked up, sorry but the grand that may have been in the 30s is not so grand now, and it is such a shame because it is in the perfect location, really if this hotel had a new owner and a complete overhaul it could be the best hotel and charge top prices , people would pay it because of the location, shame on you Brittania Hotels youve got a potential goldmine there and your letting it slip through your fingers.

Room Tip: premier rooms are a must
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kirstylou9
Reviewed June 16, 2013

On a recent day-trip to Llandudno, the dominating presence of the Grand Hotel intrigued us, so we called for morning coffee. We were not impressed !
We found a table in the very spacious (and I'm sure once splendid) bar lounge with great views over the town and the bay. I waited and waited at the "coffee shop" order point but my presence was not acknowledged by the 2 staff working behind the bar. Clearly they were too busy to serve me! Eventually I was served by a young lady who gave me the impression I was interrupting her.
She then provided me with the hot drink selection - Tea - "normal" or decaf and Coffee - black or white!
After I paid her my change was left on the counter and, needless to say, I was not thanked for my custom!
Quite simply, in this day and age, not acceptable. Laughable!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark K
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'm sure this hotel was very 'grand' when it it was in its prime. However, that was probably long ago ...Today it still stands as a monument to its former splendour by being situated right alongside the pier. If you can get a sea view, then it's easy to forgive its general tiredness.
We were upgraded for free due to a coach-party arriving. We were also given breakfast in a separate room to the hoards of bus-travellers, who were being shepherded to their own section of the dining room where the standard, basic menu was on hand. (Anyone who takes coach trips will know what I mean). ...One gripe. The parking availability near the hotel was limited during the day. Once we found a good spot, we left our car there for the whole duration of the trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple