“The Grand”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We go three-four times a year to the Grand, two by ourselves, once with the in-laws and once with my parents all over 85 years of age. This we have done for the past 10 years, 1, because we like North Wales, 2 because we like the Grand. We have always have clean rooms, we always go premier, the food is excellent and plenty of it. Yes it could do with a lick of paint, yes the lifts want replacing ( as a lift engineer I am aware of the state of them) but the place has character.
As for the staff I find they are all very friendly, and helpful at all levels. I can how ever offer no views on the entertainment as I do not go, although the in-laws and parents do go and like it,
I have already booked three more trips this year , and may find time for one more.

Room Tip: You can get the free wi fi in the rooms on the first and second floor just above the bars, howevr th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anna H, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and your continued custom.

We at the Grand really appreciate your favouable comments about the rooms, food and especially the staff.

Contrary to what some reviews state I cannot think of a single member of staff who is not friendly, polite and courteous (ok, I am biased).

We look forward to seeing you again later this year.

Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's an old hotel but that gives it character. It was clean and tidy. The rooms were really warm and cosy. Food was excellent and for what I paid the whole trip to llandudno was great. Queen Victoria pub good for service and price. Note there is no parking and you have to change your ticket after 6 but only costs £1.10 for overnight

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. If all the satisfied customers did this people would see a very different tripadvisor.
I am so pleased to hear you had a lovely time. The Queen Vic is a great little pub that does lovely Pub grub.
Yes you have to pay for the parking but I do feel for a popular seaside town the charges are very reasonable, even in summer.
Thank you again for the review; we will hopefully see you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at The Grand Hotel for one night.
The hotel is definitely in need of some updating. The public areas are looking fairly tired and could do with some fresh paint.
Our room was quite small though did have a small balcony & great views over the bay.
It also only had a shower, not a full bath.
There were areas where the wallpaper was coming away from the walls. The coat hooks were broken and screwed to a piece of wood that looked like it had been retrieved from a skip.
There were a few large coach parties staying at the hotel and the staff did keep everything moving along nicely at breakfast - all food was plentiful and hot.
I guess the bottom line is that you get what you pay for - the cost of the room including breakfast was a very reasonable £45.
Perhaps charging a little more and giving the place a bit of a birthday would be in order...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Anna H, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for your review; you will be pleased to know the offending coat hook as been removed so thank you for pointing this out. Thank you also for the positive comments about the food and the restaurant staff.
The hotels birthday is July 4th when we will be the grand old age of 111 years and yes I would love the hotel to have a total makeover but it won't happen before July 4th.

Thanks for taking the time to review.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

stayed at the grand from the 8th till the 11th great food staff first rate the only problem it was very cold such a good time by all we booked for next year o/k its a old building that needs money spending on it to bring it up to better standards

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Anna H, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for your poisitive review of our hotel. It was indeed very cold over the weekend but I am pleased to hear you had a great time and have booked for 2014.
Contrary to some of the comments on Tripadvisor we have many many repeat customers who book year after year.
See you 2014 !

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here now for the past four years simply because the grandson liked it, this year though he commented that it was not very good.

1 Off the lifts was not working for the four days we were there, entertainment in the past had always been acceptable but this year very poor,one of the band spent more time talking than entertaining food is always the same never top standard but edible.

The attitude of most of the staff this year was please you self - lf you don't like it hard luck.Room was cold asked for extra blanket and suddenly the heating was working.

The internal decor really does need revamping everywhere.

But customer satisfaction is sadly lacking, one night we had gone to our room thankfully we had not gone to bed when there was a knock on the door and one of the night staff said we had to leave the room as there was a report of a smell of gas, so we had to go down and wait in reception, had it not that I saw one of the other night staff asking people who were in room near to us if they would like a drink I doubt if we would have been offered one but I stopped him and told him what we wanted, some time later we were allowed back to our room, the next morning at breakfast we were told there was no hot food because there had been major gas leak, this was not repaired till later in the day.

No one bothered to come and tell us what had gone on the only information was a sign on the reception and no sight of any staff.

This hotel! has deteriorated in the years we have been going there and it is very doubtful if we will return to this hotel.

Premier rooms not very premier certainly not worth the extra money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

The hotel did indeed have a gas leak on the night of Sunday 17th February 2013. I am sorry you thought the staff were unhelpful but the safety of our guests is paramount, hence the reason you were asked to leave your room as the leak was in the lower bedroom vicinity. Surely anyone reading this would rather they were safe than left in a bedroom where there was a possibility of gas entering their bedroom whilst asleep. Incidently, your Rm.99 was right next to the gas leak.
We had 292 guests in-house and after the safety of our guests the next thing on the agenda, in the middle of the night is to work out what we can offer our guests for breakfast as Transco turned the gas off. The majority of our guests were very complimentary on the way in which the situation was handled.
The lift was not working because it was being refubished and new doors fitted as we have had a lot of problems in the past; we are open 365 days of the year so there is no right time but it has definitely resolved any issues we were encountering.
The Entertainment staff were actually off for rehearsals during the 4 days you were here; they were rehearsing for the new shows which have gone down very well with our guests.
I totally refute your comments about the attitude of my staff. I was on duty when you arrived; you booked a Family Premier room which you were allocated upstairs, You came to reception and point blank refused to have this room as you wanted a lower ground room even though you had not booked one.
Matthew had to move everyone arrivng on that day around to accommodate you, which he did. He could have insisted you stayed in the room you had booked as were full but as ever my staff went out of thier way to assist you. I spoke personally with you and asked you to sit on the couch opposite reception whilst we moved all the arrivals around; I think this demonstrates that we are not lacking in customer satisfaction.
Unfortunately when a hotel is situated where the Grand is, over 110 years old, has a very high occupany level (the age of our guests mean the lifts are in constant use) we will always encounter problems and our job is to deal with the situation as best we can with means we have.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

There is so much I can say about this place.

Between the Noro Virus, the abuse from staff, the mould in the room, the lack of heating, the cold shower, the smell, the ceiling falling down, the rot, rotten beer, smell of damp, the pink and green decor, this is first class let down for Llandudno. .

This place is a dump, plain and simple, a disgusting hole. I have stayed in bedsits in London that are comparable to this disgusting dump.

When we checked in, it was an opportunity for the staff to tell us about a Noro virus break out, instead one was left with a letter on the bed when the room was entered.

Please do not stay at this place, if you do stay here, it will be like keeping a terminal pet alive. DO it a favour and put it down.

As long as i draw breath i will do all i can to stop people being ripped off by the management of this company.

Trading standards should be involved, it is everything that is bad about rip off Britain.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank OrangeGoblin

I did think that I would not reply to this review as it is so far off the mark. For all our faults this is not a good description of the hotel but having never been to communist Russia I have no idea how we compare (favourably I hope!).
We are not as described in this review but I won't justify it by responding to any criticisms. I will say, as I sit here we have 253 guests in-house tonight; I think this speaks volumes.
до свидания

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel should be closed down . Dirty windows cold damp room , every step you take makes a loud creaky noise . Staff are rude and it smells of old stale smoke . It's ok if your over 65 as most of the guest are oap who have been coming for years and think its wonderful . This is by fare the worst hotel we have stayed in .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julie H

Thank you for your review.
Yes the floor boards creak as we are over 110 years old. It has been a very bitter cold winter and the hotel is so hard to heat as it is so draughty. If the wind is calm and the temperature in the minus it will still feel warm but on the few days where there is a cold easterly it will feel cold, even with the heating turned up to the max.
The hotel has been a non smoking hotel since April 2007 when the Wales Goverment introduced the ban so I am unsure why it smells of old smoke
I cannot understand why people make negative comments about OAP's as if they are somehow inferior to younger guests. We welcome guests of all ages, at weekends and school holidays we have a real mix of ages which does not present any problem to the hotel.
I am sorry if you thought the staff were rude; I cannot comment as I do not know the circumstances so I can only apologise for any shortfall in customer intereaction.