“Brill weekend break”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had a good weekend at The Grand, room was comfortable and we even had a balcony.Food was okay,buffet style but plenty of choice. The staff were very friendly and accomadating. The entertainment was brill, we were there for the Xmas party weekend ,although we are only in november we were all in the xmas spirit. The only let down for us was the parking,we don't mind paying but it would be a lot easier if you could put one ticket on for the time you are there because its a pain having to keep going putting tickets on the car.Would visit again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for the fab review. So pleased you had a good time; it is hard to get the Christmas spirit going in November but we do our best.
Parking can be a problem; unfortunately you cannot buy a weekly ticket but I do think the parking charges for a popular seaside town such as Llandudno are very reasonable.

Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just returned from here after a last minute couple of days away. All I can say is that we paid £39.00 per night for a double room b&b and it was excellent value for that. Most people who stay here don't pay much more so what the hell do they expect. I loath people who choose a budget place and then spend their entire time picking faults. If you want better, pay more!!!!! There were little patches that needed painting here and there - we remarked that they were perfect oportunities for people to take pics for Tripadvisor!!! Maybe the hotel puts them there on purpose for such people. Our room was basic but spotless and who spends all day in their room?

The breakfast was ok, basic and self service but absolutely fine. We ate in the hotel one evening which coincided with the Turkey and Tinsel Xmas day. I love xmas dinner so was thrilled. My husband had the salmon and said it was gorgeous. The drinks are reasonable too. The ballroom downstairs was beautiful and the people were having a great time - dancing and playing bingo. The lounges were lovely too. Don't be put off staying here if you want a bargain break.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nickyall

It is very refreshing to read a review that fully reflects guests expectations.
We offer great value for money through our out of season offers. If you have email you can sign up for the email offers sent out by Head Office which are available on selected dates.

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Oh how the mighty fall. This dilapidated hotel is run as a temporary farm for the elderly and special needs on rediculously cheap coach tours. Tables and window sills full of dust and every where is full of dirt and stains. The paintwork is fading, if not falling off and the woodwork patched up with bits of tatty off cuts. The food is reminiscent of prison catering I should imagine - it will sustain life but that's it. Not all but plenty of the staff are rude, ignorant, vacuous and worthy of a part in the tv program 'Shameless.' You have to pay up front or you won't be allowed in - even if you've been staying there and have extended your stay !!!! It really is a nightmare. If you're desperate and have no standards, I wholeheartedly recommend this.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank gastronaut2010
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Having read the other reviews this gentleman made of Llandudno I do see however that we would fall short (in his opinion) with the Catering department as we would not be able to compare with some of the lovely Restaurants in Llandudno. (Thanks for the tip on the lovely Tapas at the Gresham by the way !)
In my opinion my staff do a great job and if you read most of the other reviews the staff always receive praise; so in this case I will go with the 'majority'
It is rude to infer that elderly or special needs guests are somehow a detriment to an establishment; we welcome all to the Grand.
However, I am extremely sorry we did not meet this gentlemans expectations on this occasion but I feel that possibly no occasion would be suitable.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Who sang Living in a box, Im living in a cardboard box? I know the 1st line in the Blondie song all I want is a room with a view its "Picture this"! Seriously we laughed when we opened the door to room 507, give it a wide berth...Our view was a wall, so close I was going to paint a sea view on it. Pity really as the staff work hard...Thats all, that is the only reason I rated it average. Come on Brittania Hotels put your hands in your pockets and spend some money on the old girl!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 507!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Living in a box was performed by Living in a box ! (not very orginal)

Thank for for the review; the rooms on the 5th floor do not reflect all the rooms. We have 168 bedrooms of varying aspects and views and if a view is important you can upgrade for a very reasonable supplement. Call the hotel direct, even if you have booked on-line and the staff will be happy to upgrade you, subject to availablility and you can pay the supplement on arrival.

I do hope you meant spend some money on the hotel and not 'this' old girl.

I think we offer great value for money and thank you for the kind words about my staff; they do indeed work hard.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

just got back after spending 3 nights here with my family the hotel lacks entertainment for young children and teenagers .the tv in the room needed updating had trouble with it we did report it at reception but nothing got done about it .we stayed in a family room which we thought a bit on the small side an just basic .but to be fair the beds were comfy to make for a good nights sleep the views from the room were great and a good supply of tea and coffee .in there.we stayed just on b an b the breakfast you couldnt fault self service as much as you liked the staff we met were all friendly an helpful as could be the bar areas were fine and the prices were reasonable.the cabaret was a mixed bag with the resident house band more your over 50s with a ballroom touch .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank citizen19

Thank you for your review of our hotel.
I admit we do not offer entertainment suitable for children or teeenagers but we do have to provide for the majority; we do not attract many children other than guests looking for a value for money break who only use the hotel as a base for North Wales.
Thank you so much for the kind words about my staff; it is always a pleasure to read that they are friendly and helpful. When I go away myself I always feel that staff can make or break a holiday.
Thanks again for the positive review...........

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Our first visit to Llandudno and we decided on the Grand , It was an absolute pleasure , rooms were clean and modern , serviced daily , meals , a joy , staff , attentive, friendly and so helpful , with Duncan in the dining area running everything smoothly , would certainly recommend it 100%

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to put a great review on for the Grand.

It is always a pleasure to read positive comments about my staff; they are indeed friendly and helpful. I do think this is because the guests are 'friendly'.
As the saying goes; 'speak to others as you wish to be spoken to' which thankfully 99.9% of our lovely guests do.

Duncan says thank you for the mention; he still won't get a pay rise though !!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked a room late for £69 standard room, my husband and myself and our 10yr old son were all looking forward to it. A very kind and efficeint lady checked us in and all was well till we stepped into the room. It had dark old fashioned decore and old furniture. The tv was broke and we had to ask for the maitenance man. He was very friendly and got us another and set it up. I went to go and unpack but the draws and wardrobe were covered in dust on the inside.Their were cobwebs and dust on light. The room was surfaced clean, on the plus side the bathroom was clean and cheerfully done. The water was hot. The view was of a wall and a bit of the sea and the pier if you pressed your face against the window.There was a draft from the window and paint peeling off it, but as we where only staying one night, put up with it. The breakfast was eatable but not enjoyable, bacon was salty and the eggs had been standing to long. Overall it was very disappionting as people said it was nice. I would definatley not go again. If i had got the time to have looked for something else i would have. My son refused to eat anything as he said it looked disgusting. It needs all the standard rooms and upper floors refitting as they are dark, drab, creepy and have old basic furniture. Maybe if we had gone in a premier room we would have had a different experience. Those in the premier rooms and premier dining room enjoy it. All i can say is an hotel of two halves. Close to all the amenities and pier though and parking was not a problem.

Room Tip: Book a premier room as they are bright and have sea views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Thank you for making the effort to review our hotel.

I am pleased to read the staff were helpful in checking-in and changing your television.
There is a Duty Manager on every day who would have been more than happy to assist you with any problems you encountered such as dust on the light bulb.

I normally receive praise for our food; I agree that there will not always be a choice suitable for eveyone on a Buffet as was the case with your son but we do try to accommodate as many people as possible.

Guests can pay to upgrade to Premier or Standard sea view rooms for a supplement if they prefer a view; call reception with your booking reference and the staff will do their best to assist you and you can pay the supplement on arrival.